Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Grus is trash garbage and it's the singular reason I've dropped more SJ replays than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like Grus better than Fornax, not that that is saying much.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Source

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Good on Arthur for making the right call regarding Jimenez. Also, don't most SMT games stop giving bosses weaknesses at some point? It feels like the game is far enough along that big sector bosses shouldn't have free damage multipliers anymore, but I guess SJ is as weirdly easy as some people in the thread claim.

This is adorable!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

Good on Arthur for making the right call regarding Jimenez. Also, don't most SMT games stop giving bosses weaknesses at some point? It feels like the game is far enough along that big sector bosses shouldn't have free damage multipliers anymore, but I guess SJ is as weirdly easy as some people in the thread claim.

Eh. There's certainly some gobs of bullshit coming up, specially depending on which path you wind up taking.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's some fairly bullshit bosses near the end, but most of the difficulty is from navigating the maps, not from combat - or rather, not difficulty, but frustration. The stuff's not hard, but very, very aggravating to go through.

Also, I completely forgot about Grus.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Grus is where I stopped playing the first time. I don't think I was particularly frustrated with it or anything, I just found something else and just kinda forgot about it.

Still liked Grus better than Delphinus.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Prayer

Grus used to straight up be my least-favourite Sector, but given that Fornax managed to absolutely plummet in my opinion (and that started REALLY low to begin with)...

Anyway, time t'speak with the crew again!

But when you think about it, isn't it not far off to say that this is a "central" area?
Might be a sign we're getting close to the core.
Let's stay focused and keep making progress.

He's become a demon... he's outside the boundaries of humanity now.
He doesn't have a human's self-control anymore.
How are we supposed to come to terms with each other...? I'm just not comfortable around him.
...I shouldn't let it get to me. Let's go on with the mission.

With the equipment here, we can treat nearly any physical problem, but mental ones? They're harder.
Of course, that brainwashing equipment is out of the question.
...Anyway, for now we can only wait for a resolution to this prolonged situation.

Man, that new body of his is something else. Is that what all demon bodies are like?
They're so out of our league... Humans don't stand a chance.

So, what did Tiamat's Rare Forma drop give us, I wonder? Probably not gonna be super great, but we'll see I suppose.

Laplace, uh, does not do what it says. Like, it DOES but it doesn't. The only thing that has a chance to happen are Fusion Accidents and Fracastoro turns them off entirely so...

Laplace just changes the formula used for calculating fusion results. Normally, it's:

code:
((Demon1BaseLvl + Demon2BaseLvl)/2) + 1
(round up for x.5)

If that number matches a demon's level exactly, you get that demon. If not, even if its just over it by 1, then it looks upwards towards the next demon of the relevant race if there is one. Laplace does not change that aspect, but it makes the calculation formula:

code:
((Demon1BaseLvl + Demon2BaseLvl)/2) + 4
That's it. That's all it does. It's only really useful when combined with Paracelsus (the SubApp to use the CURRENT level rather than base). Even then, that one does by far more work. Laplace does change a few combination results but they are so few and far between that it's not worth it.

Long Birthday is probably good, because you can get some Really Good Rare Items via gifts from higher level demons. Sadly, it's not that good because it takes 40% of your SubApp space and it's not worth that much at all.

Tea Amity is, uh.... I've never used this. When negotiating with a demon, it can sometimes just take your money or whatever and run, right? I can only presume that this gives you a chance to make that not happen.

Maybe I'll be more fired up if I think of this sector as a treasure chest with new forma in it.
Don'tcha think we can expect to find rare and unique forma in a place like this?
But I'm puttin' the cart before the horse. There's investigatin' to be done... The forma'll keep.

Maybe I'm jut worn down by this prolonged crisis.
*sigh* This is bad...

quote:

Talk to Zoe about it.
That's a good idea, but there's a waiting list for Dr. Zoe's counseling sessions right now.
...Well, my nerves aren't too shot, I guess. I can keep pushing forward for now.

quote:

Talk to Irving about it.
Uhh.... well... I already did.
He just told me "You'll feel a hundred times better if you focus on forma!" But that's impossible.
Five times better I could see, but a hundred?

quote:

You can talk to me.
No, I couldn't. You've got your hands full with your work on the strike team.
...Well, my nerves aren't too shot, I guess. I can keep pushing forward for now.

As you no doubt expected by this point, this is as much of Blue Antlia Grus we're going to be seeing today.

...It changes its form and nature from one floor to the next, to welcome us.
Let's go. Don't let it get you down. This whole mission scarcely has any hope of ending, anyway.

Alright, so we have a couple of sidequests that are in a progress limbo. Let's see if we can't get them finished up before we move on.

The Land Where The Seed's Memories Lie Buried

You may or may not remember, but in Eridanus an Ame-no-Uzume wanted us to go talk to a Futotama. He's just hanging out here near the entrace of Fornax for... some reason.

I am Futotama.
Some do not give me the proper shrift, but I am in truth quite a high-ranking god.
Hm? What is the matter? Is there something on my face?

> You explained the situation.

Son of man, I thank thee for thine aid.
I, too, have come here in search of the Lady Amaterasu, but...
Even my divinations cannot locate her.

Not a real thing, sorry. Not a real world mythology thing, either.

'Twill make her quite difficult to find...
Ah, but of course. I shall lend thee the Tamashiro Mirror, human.

...Also not a real thing or referencing any real thing. Not even that mirror what Futotama is holding in his design right here.

The mirror reflecteth only the truth. Even the Marebito Robe cannot hide from it.
Use it in thy search for the Lady Amaterasu.
Now then, I shall return to Ame no Uzume.
I feel that area to be the most suspicious, in the end...

> Futotama left...

Something suspicious in the area near Ame-no-Uzume, huh...? Let's think...

A Land Controlling Roads

quote:

But that's for me to worry about later. Right now, we've got this one door on 2F to open. That other one still can't be opened.

There's a... whatever this thing is just chilling out here. Uhh....

It's not even hostile. It just says whatever this is supposed to mean and that's it. There's nothing else in this room either. Weird.

Ah, that'll do it.

> A beatiful woman was visible in the mirror...

So, I am found out.

I followed the Tamashiro Mirror's light and have found you, Lady Amaterasu!
Futotama. Had you joined the search for me, then?

It was Ame no Uzume who enlisted the human's help.
He and I then met, and I granted him the Tamashiro Mirror.
I see now... I have worried all of you.

I cannot give an accounting of myself. It was as if a part of me simply had to do it.

This does make sense, but the reason why it could be justified is... not necessarily clear right now.

...I am sorry. I was being selfish.
I can't bear to worry you all any longer. Let us return to Takamagahara.

> As Amaterasu was leaving, you heard a voice...

Silence

I-I have found you at last, Lady Amaterasu!

I thought you were close at hand, and so I started searching...
Have you any notion of how worried we were!?
I feared you were going someplace far away...
I was... so worried...

Sorrow

My sincerest apologies. Truly, I can offer no excuse.

My intention was never to leave you all behind. Please believe me.
...I believe you. This land is unsettling to we demons.
Now, do let's go home. Oh, but first... I must express my gratitude to this human.
Thank you for finding her. You may have this.

We will return to Takamagahara now.

This is the only way to get Amaterasu unlocked, but Kinmamon is a weird one for this. He can be obtained in Fornax by just capping one there, of course. He's only unlocked here because of Amaterasu's... disguise that wasn't intentional except it was but she didn't know and

Y'know what? Let's just take this Sound Jewel to Irving.

It's a very special Rare Forma and one which is semi-important and useful but you can easily miss it and have it not matter too much right.

Note that we don't have Gate Search D yet. This does matter; the letter for the MainApps are not direct upgrades or anything. They just affect things directly tied to them.

We'll put this to use soon, but first let's go find a deathseamstress of destiny for a monkey.

Encounter

Woooooow... it's just like Grandpa Thoth said...!
Oh yeah... I'm supposed to give you this.
Here you go! It's the Book of Thoth, volume three!
This is what you're looking for, right?
I heard that if a human talks to me, I should give him this!

Although it made me kinda nervous to carry this book around...
I mean... what if I accidentally sliced it with scissors!? Brrr!
But it's okay! I was careful!
Well, say hi to Grandpa for me! Ahahahahaha!

> The demon left.

A Land Controlling Roads

Hoh hohhh... Well done. I knew you could do it.

Thor/Jupiter are where the name for Thursday comes from. That's 3 down...

I can prepare another riddle for you if you want...
I'm sure it would lead you to more wisdom.
Come again, my boy.

Absolutely no reason to not pick it up at least. We ARE here right now and all...

So here's my riddle that'll point you to the demon who holds the Book of Thoth...
The fourth volume is part of the treasurer's collection.

Who is this treasurer who keeps my book?
And I thought you might get bored with the same old, same old, so it's a bit different this time.
How's it different, you may ask? Ahh, look again to the riddle.
If you need a hint... keep the flow of a demon negotiation in mind.
Now, let's see if you can manage to crack this one.

The treasurer, huh... Only one demon comes to mind easily for this one.

Encounter

Hey Melchom! So, this one IS different because you need a successful negotiation first. Yep, being able to complete this EX Mission is entirely at the mercy of the RNG. For both getting a conversation path you CAN complete, for not pissing him off AND for him letting you get the option and not just giving you a thing with no prompt.

It's real dumb, so thankfully it's with a semi-common very low level demon otherwise this would be way more annoying. Just gotta request nothing at all.

Heheheh... Selflessness is a virtue... so you say.
Very good. I believe this is yours.
It is proof of the wisdom that this god Thoth bestows on you.

This is what the god said to me:
The human would desire the book, but I was to pretend I didn't know what he was talking about...
I was to give it to him only when he demonstrated selflessness in negotiation.
A rather interesting hobby, don't you think?
Here you are, preaching the virtue of selflessness in a world of unerringly selfish humans...
Yet... I... cannot help but dream.
If humans could understand this idea and put it into practice...

Well, no use dreaming, not when we've come this far down the road.

> The demon left...

Aside from that potentially annoying bit of random chance to even succeed, this one isn't too big of a deal at least. Let's give Thoth this volume as well, then.

A Land Controlling Roads

Hoh hohhhh... So you got it, eh? I thought this one might be too much for you.
What you reach for, you will lose. The emptiness of attainment and the joy of an unearned gift...
You've done well in showing that to me.

...No, we didn't? I mean, yes, we did but Friday is not Frey. This one is just flatout wrong. Every romance language, that doesn't just go First Day/Second Day/etc., uses Venus for Friday. This should be either Freyja or Frigg, depending on who you ask... and they might even be interchangable, also depending on who you ask!

I can prepare another riddle for you if you want...
I'm sure it would lead you to more wisdom.
Come again, my boy.

Once again, we're already here so...

This is... the fifth time, no? I'm running out of ideas.
I think this'll have to be the last riddle.
Care to give it a try?
Yes.

One thing, though. I've changed the way this last riddle works again.
It'd be boring for the finale to be just another riddle, right?
So, here's the riddle hinting at the demons who hold the last of the Books of Thoth...

Now let's see if you can pass my final test...

Well, one of these we can do right away so let's go and meet a lady on a floating lake.

Encounter

Wow... you really came. Maybe the god of knowledge is a prophet, too?
Oh, right. Here, I'm supposed to give this to you.
It's half of some book...

But how did you know it was me just by hearing about Excalibur?
Sure, the legends say it was me King Arthur gave the sword to.
But there are lots of other theories out there. How can you be sure I'm the one?
What do you think...?
It's you for sure.
Hmm... interesting. Well, I don't care which it is.

It's really interesting, though...
Humans tell whatever stories they want and get themselves confused.
Well... maybe if I'm ever in the mood some day, I'll tell you.
Will it be in ten years, or a hundred? I dunno.
Well, good luck.

> The demon left...

That's half of the final book done, but I dunno about this Laevateinn thing. I guess we'll see if we can find that thing in the future somewhere.

Next up is, uh.... I really don't want to do this one but... alright, fine.

A Frivolous Nation

...There goes a thing we can't get easily for a while. :sigh:

Hrm... yes... yes, they're all accounted for. Here's your pay.

Not worth it! But wait, there's more...

Every job I had for you is done.
And as a special bonus from me... Here, have this.

Really not worth it!

You served me well, for a human.

Oh goody. The Melchom Ring is +20 MP and immunity to Strain. The least threatening ailment of them all. What joy!

Just ignore Melchom entirely, or only do them if you really want a bunch of easy macca and can't be bothered farming Forma off of enemy searches.

Hrmm... now what? Everything left outstanding can't be finished yet, so I guess we need to find something new. Oh!

A Scorched Nation

The King and Queen of the faeries have said they want to see the place for themselves.
It's a tremendous honor!

Yes.
Thank you so much...!
I wonder if the King and Queen will like it here.
I'm counting on you!

...Oh. We can't do this one either!

We can get Oberon easy but Titania is level 60. Umm... Umm....

There's nothing else in Fornax, since the Alice sidequest is the only side content in there. Umm...

Oh we just got Gate Search E and there's a place to use it right here. Let's do that next!

It's that hidden door right by the entrance of the Fairy Village, conveniently enough.

It's only used to let you get a fixed AT X though.

Great. So, where else can we use this? Nowhere in Bootes, nowhere in Carina, nowhere in Delphinus, nowhere in Fornax...

A Land Controlling Roads

But there is this one spot in Eridanus we can pop open with it, at least.

RAR...! RARRRR...! NOT HERE, IT NOT HERE!
YOU NO KNOW? YOU NO KNOW WHERE ME MEAT IS!?
Meat?
GRRRRR...! NICE QUESTION...!
THIS IS A STORY OF ME MEAT...! STORY VERY JUICY...!
ME PUT MEAT HERE! TOP CLASS SPECIAL DINNER!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!
...ME KNOW WHO EAT MEAT.

HE SAID HE WANTED MEAT...
ME HAVE FAVOR! GIVE YOU MISSION!

ME CAN'T... ME NOT GOOD AT TALKING...
BUT YOU CAN DO IT! YOU GOOD AT DEMON TALKING!
ME COUNTING ON YOU!

Well, that's pretty easy and convenient. We can actually do this one! Orthrus isn't too far away at all. Don't even have to leave Eridanus.

> Hitonari told Orthrus about Cerberus.

GRRRRRRR...! THAT SERIOUS ACCUSATION!
ME NO EAT IT! WHATEVER HE SAY, ME NO EAT IT!
ME MIGHT EAT OTHER PEOPLE'S MEAT, BUT NOT FAMILY'S!
HMM... WAIT!
I KNOW! I KNOW STUPID DEMON WHO EAT THE MEAT...

OTHER DAY, ME GO TO BROTHER'S. THERE, ME SEE ONI!
HE WALKING AROUND, EATING MEAT. ME NOT THINK, BITE INTO IT... ALMOST.
BUT ME NOT EAT THE MEAT!
YOU TELL BROTHER!

> The demon left...

Well, that was convenient and easy. Back to Cerberus, I guess. 'Snot too far to travel.

IT NOT ORTHRUS...? ONI ATE THE MEATY MEAT...?
HMMMMM... ME TRY REMEMBER...
HRMM... THINKING ABOUT IT... THERE WAS AN ONI...
HMMMMMMMM... THIS IS...

I guess we're off right back to Antlia, then...

> Hitonari told Oni about Cerberus's meat...

Meat...? Oh, yeah, I ate it!
I got seriously lost, and on top of that, I was really hungry.

...I completely forgot that Oni just randomly references Shiren the Wanderer. Sure, why not.

That's what I was thinkin' when I saw this delicious-lookin' hunk of meat... I didn't hesitate, man!
They say hunger makes everything taste good, but that stuff woulda been amazing anyway!
So what do you care, anyway?

Like I coulda known that!
And besides, think about how this world works! It ain't strange to see any crazy thing dropped on the ground!
I know for a fact YOU'VE been pickin' stuff up left and right!
So why're ya so on my case about pickin' up the meat, man?
It's natural! Completely, 100% natural!
...Anyway, that's what happened! I ate it 'cause I was hungry, and I ain't sorry at all! You tell Cerberus that!

> The demon left...

Well, mystery solved! Back to Cerberus we go to see what neat reward we get for this.

HRM... SO ONI EAT ME MEAT...
IT OKAY. SAME AS WILD.
ME FAULT FOR NOT GUARDING MEAT...

NO POINT GET ANGRY... ME NOT MAD..
HMM... ME BLAMED ORTHRUS...
ME HAVE NO BEEF WITH ORTHRUS. HE NOT EAT MEAT.
OKAY! YOU DEMON TALKING AGAIN! APOLOGIZE ORTHRUS FOR ME!
ME CAN'T DO IT... ME NO GOOD WITH TALKING...
BUT YOU CAN DO IT! ME KNOW!
ME COUNTING ON YOU!

Ughhh alright fine, back to find another Orthrus we go...

> Hitonari told Orthrus about Cerberus.

HMMM... ME SEE. BUT ME NOT CARE...
IN WILD, FIGHTING OVER MEAT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME.

...TELL CERBERUS.
ME NO REMEMBER TIME WHEN CERBERUS APOLOGIZE FOR ANYTHING...
CERBERUS SHOULD BE CERBERUS. ACT BIG ALL THE TIME.

> The demon left...

Okay NOW we should be done. After talking to Cerberus one last time.

ME SEE. HE GOOD BROTHER...
HMMM... IT IN PAST. ME FORGET IT NOW.
YOU DO GOOD JOB. HELPED ME.
BUT... IT LIKE BROTHER SAID... ME CERBERUS!
NEXT TIME ME MIGHT BE ENEMY AND EAT YOU WHOLE!
ME SEE YOU AGAIN!

> Cerberus left...

...Holy gently caress. That is a TERRIBLE reward! What a goddamn waste of time. Definitely worth gating this quest behind both the 100% optional and easily missed Gate Search E AND what is essentially a tedious back-and-forth fetch quest.

Fortunately, this area is much bigger than this. There's a teleporter over in the top-right corner that brings us to a whole new area!

That Sanctum in the bottom of this area is completely empty, but that means that we'll need to return the Phase Shifter to the Original Space and come back later.

After that, we get an area with Lots Of Poison Tiles but you can just not touch them and use that safe tile next to them all. That warps you to the end.

But then you can't get these 5 AC II in a fixed forma. Gotta take your chances with at least 2 poison tiles if you want that...

Regardless of which path you take, it'll bring you to this guy by a one-way door leading to... where we found Amaterasu. Huh. I wonder if that Gate Search C door can be opened from the inside as well then. It'd have to be, surely...

It takes after its presenter in its love for pranks.
Hm...? A human warrior?
Oho... you seem a seasoned soldier. You'd make a fine prize for the valkyries.
I am the Allfather Odin.
Though you stand in my presence, there is no need for humility. Be at ease.
In truth, this works out perfectly. Could you help find my steed Sleipnir?
That horse loves pranks and runs off at any opportunity.

Will you accept my request?
Yes.
I thank you.
Use whatever method you see fit to make Sleipnir your ally and return it to me.
I have high expectations of you.

Translation: fuse or password in a Sleipnir. We can't do either right now, since he's level 56. I guess we'll be back later, then...

Oh and before we leave for other stuff, let's flip that phase shifter around.

The Vitality Incense is nice, but the real prize is the Megidola Stone! Especially if you have a very high Magic stat.

And that's all we can do here, so... time to grind a bunch of forma off-screen and go pay a visit to Irving.

And thanks to getting Forma Search C, we can't even remove all ???s any more!

Prayer

Semi-high attack, 1 hit, no bonus. Yawn. Except, this is meant to be a later-in-Fornax weapon. Yes, really! It requires AT Forite II x2, Wood Face x3 (Zaccoum) and Jirae Magma x1 (Tlaltecuhtli).

The Headhunter is basically the same but an actual upgrade over the Cursed Sarai I guess? Stronger, random target, 1 hit... but no add, so the Sarai wins. It's also less tedious to get than the Headhunter since you need to be past Jack's Squad HQ to even begin and try for this one; AT Forite II x2, Genma Helmet x6 (Hanuman) and Femme Shears x3 (Atropos).

The Buffalo Gun is... the loving Abba Dingo but for Electricity. Goddammit, stop doing that! They're never even good or anything! AT Forite x1, Beast Talons x3 (Gryphon) and Wilder Eye x2 (Manticore/Catoblepas), so at least it's easy to get I guess.

If you want to get rid of a demon... The Man with the Golden Gun...

Ahem, anyway. It's Bufula and Zionga. That's it. That's what it lets you do. This might not seem too bad if you could get it in, oh I don't know, Bootes or Carina? Except, uhh... whoops it's a goddamn pain and a half to get!

AT Forite II x3, Wood Thorn x6 (Alraune) and Judgement Scale x3 (Black Rider) are what you need for a thing that has piss-poor skills and is banking on its semi-high...ish inate power to be useful. So not worth the hassle at all.

...Still gonna use it for something, though. You'll see.

The Life Vest is pretty thoroughly "eh" and a really bad idea to use in Fornax. Lots of Ice in there, especially when dealing with Tiamat. Also it's just kind of not very good anyway; aside from like Da Peng there's nothing around right now that uses Wind and is worth worrying over. It does make up for that by being very easy to make: DF Forite x2, Jaki Hide x1 (Grendel) and Night Mustache x2 (Kaiwan).

So, what if you don't want to use the Hardwired but you want an upgrade over the Belobog Vest at last anyway? The Metal Vest is what you want. Keeps the Phys resist, ups Defense and the Elec weakness isn't too big of a deal and easily work-aroundable for the most part. DF Forite II x2, Vile Wool x1 (Taotie) and Divine Wheel x1 (Throne) so it's nice and easy to make as well.

The accessories here are, well, they're very simple.

But, hey, if you have a high Strength (for Guns)...

(why is this the Force ring you dropped that element here game!)

Or a high Magic (for items) then they're probably worth sticking in that there one accessory slot you have.

Especially this one.

They all give Hitonari the Boost for their respective element, of course.

Flame: AC Forite II x2, Enigma Sphere x2 (Kinmamon), Divine Wheel x2
Frost: AC Forite II x2, Genma Helmet x2, Reaper Rime x2 (Hel)
Thunder: AC Forite II x2, Enigma Sphere x2, Wilder Eye x5
Force: AC Forite II x2, Genma Helmet x2, Flight Scale x4 (Da Peng)

I like how they knew that Thunder was the best at the immediate moment and so it's technically the hardest to make.

...No, I'm being sincere. That show some degree of actual though.

Last item we can grab is a Mahama Stone or two. Expel elemental instant death, 30% base chance etc. etc. same as the Mamudo Stone but way harder to get for some reason. AC Forite II x1, Genma Helmet x2 for each one you want.

Oh and we CAN get Luck Incenses from Black Rider's Forma. I think I mentioned that already, though. Don't think I mentioned White Rider's, but that's Agility so gently caress that noise.

Speaking of which, nothing left out here for us, so into Grus we go...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 17, 2017

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Since you mentioned incenses at the end there, have you still not used any of the ones you've found? How many do you have in your inventory at this point?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Looks like they're playing a game of knifey-spoony in the Schwarzwelt.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I thought it was weird they dropped Force for this game - and that ring makes me wonder if it was a later change - or more likely the different teams weren't communicating like they should during development.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SweaterGear posted:

Since you mentioned incenses at the end there, have you still not used any of the ones you've found? How many do you have in your inventory at this point?

Good question, let's see! Before stepping foot into Grus, it's...

I thought I had less Vitality Incense than that. I probably wasn't counting the one we just got at Eridanus for whatever reason.

As for the first question, I haven't and I probably won't ever (even for the actual real "hard" fights of which there are maybe like 3 in total if I'm being generous) so that number in the stock is just going to keep on rising.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

As for the first question, I haven't and I probably won't ever (even for the actual real "hard" fights of which there are maybe like 3 in total if I'm being generous) so that number in the stock is just going to keep on rising.

Any particular reason why not? I used to hoard that kind of stuff in videogames, but at some point my brain chemistry switched and now I use those sorts of items almost immediately. Because why save it for later when I can have the power now?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SweaterGear posted:

Any particular reason why not? I used to hoard that kind of stuff in videogames, but at some point my brain chemistry switched and now I use those sorts of items almost immediately. Because why save it for later when I can have the power now?

they're more useful as a full hp/sp heal then as a stat boost, that's how i've always used them

assumedly dragonatrix is just better at the game then me and never needs that

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I usually just pop incenses immediately in these games since I like to have the improved stats and I'd never think of using them otherwise .

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SweaterGear posted:

Mostly if I do ever use one it'll be because of the full heal if I really really need it, am out of battle and I have nothing else that I can use. With how common Life Stones and Beads are, that's not very likely; plus you can just buy base versions of demons from the Compendium anyway and they're all cheap as dirt especially when you add that Max Analyse gives you a 50% discount for that demon. To make matters worse, a single stat point doesn't make any real tangible difference, and if you want enough for it to be worthwhile you're either willingly farming Fiends (and thus will end up overlevelled for whatever you wanted them for in the first place) or are on NG+ onwards at which point you have better things to use that benefit from lower stats.

If you could use them on demons, that'd be a different matter sort of maybe kind of and I might care enough to use them for their "real" effect eventually. As it stands, they're just Somas you can't use in combat and can only use on the person who needs the stat boost the most but gets the least out of.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Bummer that stat-ups aren't actually all that great it seems. I guess I'm more used to other RPGs where stats are frequently the only thing that matters and items that raise your stats are worth their weight in gold.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

SweaterGear posted:

Bummer that stat-ups aren't actually all that great it seems. I guess I'm more used to other RPGs where stats are frequently the only thing that matters and items that raise your stats are worth their weight in gold.
Yeah, Fire Emblem this ain't.

Really, just dump them all on Hitonari, you're never going to use them otherwise and a few extra points certainly don't hurt.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Welp, time for Grus. Are you excited?

Palace of Pleasure
no, thats not a mistake this is really what plays here

This is confusing. They're toying with us.
(B) This place gives me the creeps... I hate this color scheme.
And once we're past here, it'll be completely different, right?

(C) Hey, despair is the enemy just as much as the demons. Stay focused on the mission.

He's a pain to have around, but it feels strange without him.

We'll have to pick up his slack, but just hang in there.
And don't you get lost either, First Lieutenant Zelenin!
We have no choice but to press on. Whether it's to find a way home or to find another route...

once again yes really this is what plays here

Right away, there's a phase shifter but we can't access it because this Dominion is in the way. Sure.

Oh... A human... Hmm. You are among those who ride the iron ship Master Mastema has spoken of.

I cannot allow anyone to pass without Master Mastema's permission.
Please leave.

Is he here?
Master Mastema is investigating this land.
We must uncover the scheme of those accursed demons.
So Mastema is here in Grus!?

But I have questions for him, too, so it works out perfectly.
Let's find Mastema, Hitonari!

Alright, so onwards we go. It's a nice straight line right now...

Fear

Oh goddammit. This is just a palette swap of the palace in Bootes!

You will not be forgiven, you race of traitors, who infected the Earth with your black dreams...
You will pay the price for twisting the future to no purpose in this land...!

I am really not impressed by your power of "boring asset reuse."

I shall slowly inflict pain on those bodies of yours.
Be mystified, cry in sorrow, grow weak, and die...

Right, so, anyway we have a branch in the path here and we'll take the right-hand one (from our perspective) first.

no joke this is the first fight of the sector what the gently caress

Fiend Pale Rider

An Honor Befitting that Name

So, Pale Rider. Pale motherfucking Rider just jumped us RIGHT OUT THE GATE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

This is his basic attack with no buffs or debuffs. Since he has 53 Strength, this hurts a bunch AND he has 54 Agility so we're never outspeeding him beyond priority skills.

He's "weak" to Electricity. Except he isn't. He is, but that's just so you can get co-ops to cut through his 1800HP.

The Electricity part does little though and that's with the Golden Gun and buffs/debuffs stacked a bunch (this number isn't though). Why? He resists Electricity. Yeah, just like with Mayahuel's Phys "weakness" this one is just the game outright lying wholesale. He resists Ice and that deals equivalent damage but without the Co-Op to compensate.

Also he reflects Wind.

His skills are weirdly less threatening than Black Rider's, but he can do them more often and he has 52 Luck so Blight's Poison effect will proc more often than it feels like it should.

Pale Rider being mostly Phys skills is part of why Taotie is here to no-sell everything, yes.

This is the other part. His Mamudoon is lethal as all hell (base 55% chance) because of that 52 Luck.

Pale Rider only has 3 skills, but his last is Killing Wind. It's just a More Powerful Garudyne; base 250 power, 1 hit, single target. Costs 20MP so it's debatable how useful it is...

Except that damage is after 4 Debilitates and Taotie is functionally Neutral as far as we care. And Magic is Pale Rider's worse stat here at 49. Yikes!

But since he only has 3 skills, it's very possible to keep up with his damage output if Hitonari's on healing duty. Mamudoon getting as lucky as it did in the video is unlikely, but Sacrifices stop it being a game over anyway.

Also he drops Megido Stones and, far more importantly, Great Chakra. Very nice if he turns up a lot and you can get through his ridiculous defences reasonably quickly.

Cold Scythes are used for Magic Incense and a couple other things.

End

Palace of Pleasure

So, down the other path we have this weird purple thing that's just a wall. You may have noticed it behind Pale Rider earlier along that side as well, but don't worry.

That one's a fake wall. This is probably the closest Grus comes to having its own gimmick and is the biggest thing that can be counted as an "illusion".

Shame then that they disappear just from being a few squares away if they're fake and your map even tells you which ones are real walls and which ones aren't. Can I give negative points for Not Even Trying? Because I want to.

Anyway, there's an Archangel just around the corner that's impossible to miss. You could just not talk to him if you want, though.

Her illusion blocks the path, preventing us from invading.
I must hurry to the place where my cohorts are gathering.
�......
I-I assure you, I am not lost!

I don't know how you could get lost on what is essentially a straight line!

Moving along this line, there is a branch here that has a fixed 2 AT Grusite forma. How... nice?

This one is just pure chance, though. I'm sure not gonna complain since we want to go up this corridor anyway.

It lets us put that Gate Search E to use, yet again. This one is the most worth it out of the 3 uses we've found so far.

Because it gives a Bead of Life. Beads of Life here are what Somas usually are: a 100% HP/MP recover to everyone. Given enough time and resources, I'm sure we can find a way to get these in bulk too but I dunno. This is actually very good.

Back inside, we carry along the path and get the X Gold forma for this sector. I'm sure Grus will give us some really good armor when we can actually use this. It'd be silly for it not to, huh?

And just because we didn't get everything new yet, here's the Accessory forma for good measure. This one was also pure chance.

Down from there, we have this door we can't open yet for many reasons. That Gold forma you see there is a Very Special fixed forma. You'll see.

And up in the top left we have a Black Box. That makes 3 for the second quest...

In some places, we can see traces of civilizations other than the ones we know on Earth...

> The data is corrupted, preventing you from reading further.

Okay, uh, I know what this is referring to and we can't even get there yet. Stop sequencing breaking and then ending up in a place where you had to backtrack to, Black Box Guy.

But, hey, one space below his corpse we have another Gate Search E door. Its use has already gone up by 100% how about that!

This one is guarding this Rare Forma and nothing else. We'll be taking this to Irving later; it's very important.

Very. Important.

Silence

Anyway, back on the One Path we didn't take...

If it isn't Tadano.

Law Theme

Oh, hey Mastema. How's it goin'? We haven't seen you since, what, Delphinus?

This is a world of interwoven hallucinations.
They seem to originate from the power of illusion employed by the demon controlling this land.
Be careful not to succumb to its illusions.

I caught up just in time, I see. Were you already talking to him about something?
My, my. You too, Zelenin...?

Still, you must use caution around the demons of this land.
But there was something I wished to ask of you two...

By using the illusions as camouflage, we have erected our sacred fortress.

It is all in preparation for the upcoming decisive battle with the demons.
To prevent the demons' invasion of the Earth, we must cooperate with each other.

If there is anything you require, I will do my best. Let us vanquish the demon horde together.

Thank you, Mastema. That will be a great help to us.
But... may I ask you something?
...I sensed this was coming, Zelenin.
It is clear that something trouble you...
Was it? Well... yes.
I wanted to ask your opinion... Well, it's not really a question. Just hear me out...
I would be delighted.

> Mastema smiled.

We've come this far, but... Since our failed attempt to escape to Earth, we've been in danger.
Crew morale is falling sharply.
There's constant bickering and some of the crew have been looking out only for themselves.

So, you humans in your iron ship are coming apart...?
In a word, yes. But there's more.
I...
I've become doubtful... of the team...

I thought that might be why instead of helping each other, we've begun to fight so much...

"Atttacked"? Y'know, I don't think I've noticed overly many typos until now...

However...
You may be encountering the problem man has always faced.
And that is...?
You see, daughter of man, humans are creatures I cannot understand.
Why do you rely so on "trust"?

Why are you not more hesitant to rely on such an uncertain thing?
Trust comes from the freedom of the heart...

In times of hardship, human trust is easily broken, leading to betrayal.
So... you think human trust cannot be the basis for a firm bond.
Then you're saying the discord causing such a problem can't be avoided?

Do not allow my words to cause you despair. They are but signposts for the path you must take.
Of course...

A way to guide their hearts...? Is there such a thing?

So that's a "yes."

Right now, you should let your heart dictate your actions toward your colleagues.
Should you become lost again...
That will be the time you must come see me.

Goodbye, Tadano, Zelenin. May we one day defeat the evil hordes, side by side.

> Mastema left.

I do feel better now, though. It's not easy to talk about with the others on the Red Sprite...

Silence

Oh, for gently caress sake!

Return to the Red Sprite and wait for new orders.
I say again...
Calling all crew stationed in sector Grus.
Return to the Red Sprite and wait for new orders.
This is rather sudden.
I wonder what happened? We utterly disarmed them...
Let's do as he says and return to the Red Sprite.

Malevolence and Benevolence

We have received a communique from the crewmen monitoring Jack's squad.
It appears they put the Lightning's functions to use in continuing their experiments on demons.

This isn't good...

This can't go ignored.
The demon analysis technology aboard the Lightning far outstrips our own.

Well, he did somehow manage to get Enemy Only Skills so that's pretty impressive. Not sure about "threat" though.

The crewmen assigned to monitor them are in serious danger.
Eh? Is this...?
We're getting a transmission! It's from the Lightning!
Has something happened to the crew!?
Patch it through to the main viewscreen.

In The Master's Name

I really got no reason to contact you goons, but I decided to tell you how pissed off I am!
Geez, am I a nice guy or what? They must have my harp and robe all picked out in Heaven.
I know you... you're Ryan!
Does this mean you've taken back the Lightning!?
Hey, check out this smart rear end in a top hat!

Y'know, just in case you still had some degree of sympathy for Jack's Squad somehow. Jack himself was obviously the nicest guy in the crew because he just didn't care about this kind of petty bollocks. Everyone else is completely unlikable, unmitigated shite.

That'll cut down on your payroll costs, huh? You oughtta thank me.
Jack left us some good tech. Pretty well hidden, too.
If he wasn't such an honest guy, maybe he coulda lived a little longer. Sucks to be him.
But I ain't like that. I know human nature. I got big plans.

Just wait and see!

Those bastards... They killed our men!
That's it! I'm gonna kill 'em!

They'll come for us next!

Jimenez...

Chaos Theme

It's kill or be killed. There ain't a third way. Now let's get our counterattack going.
Hell, I'd be down for doing it myself.

Yo, Arthur! Issue the revenge mission already!
That's why you called everyone back, isn't it?
...Hey, Tadano.
You're ready to rock, right?
Let's lock and load.

gently caress it, let's just get rid of 'em before they can interfere and ruin everything. Before they get to four needless interruptions.

The casualties will only continue to mount!

Ha! How far are you gonna take this goody two-shoes act?
What's the point in holding back from a guy who just said in plain English that he's gonna kill us!?
They broke the agreement, they developed demons as weapons...

There's no one here who can say otherwise.
Ryan said he'll attack us as soon as he's ready!
We can't afford to lose the initiative. We should attack now!

This is self-defense. I don't see any alternative.
But...!
But WHAT!?
Look, just answer me this: do you have an actual plan to settle this non-violently?

Could you...
Crewmen of the Red Sprite, I request more time.

A way without bloodshed...
You're gonna rely on that angel again? Geez...
...I'm sorry, Hitonari, but I have a favor to ask.

Please, Hitonari...
All right.
Thank you. I suspected you'd be open to the idea.
Arthur, will you authorize an excursion to see Mastema?
It does have a bearing on our problem, I assure you.

Any method of resolving the situation will be accepted.

First Lieutenant Zelenin's proposed plan cannot be ignored, given past events.
You will have authorization for your journey and time to carry out your plan.

You are advised to produce a result as soon as possible.
Thank you, Arthur.
There is little time, Hitonari. Let's hurry to Mastema.
I look forward to the successful completion of your mission.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 15, 2017

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think the constant going back and forth to the Libertosector is the primary reason Fornax and Grus blur together so much for me.

It doesn't help that it is the designated "everyone turns into a jackass" SMT stage of the plot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel the game is trying to tell me Jimenez isn't in the right here for wanting to get rid of the people who have shown absolutely no redeeming qualities, keep causing things that would be war crimes at the very least if law was a thing in the Schwhatever, and keep interrupting the flow of gameplay so the player will also hate them.

I can't disagree with Jimeboo here, is what I'm trying to say. Murder them all.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Let's find out just how weird and hosed up Mastema's brainslave magic is before we go making any hasty decisions.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel the game is trying to tell me Jimenez isn't in the right here for wanting to get rid of the people who have shown absolutely no redeeming qualities, keep causing things that would be war crimes at the very least if law was a thing in the Schwhatever, and keep interrupting the flow of gameplay so the player will also hate them.

Jimenez is a dipshit but, even after being transformed into a bloodthirsty demon, he's willing to try peaceful methods. That's more than what most Chaos heroes would do.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jimenez is good.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This cracks me up, I can picture Zelenin like a crazy fangirl going bonkers when she overhears her idol's name.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't think anyone would honestly. After killing the skeleton crew back in Jack's Base, lets be honest, I'd have just bombed the fuckers and been done with it. Jack's Squad, outside their initial appearance, have been Bad People and should have been taught some loving manners about making GBS threads where you sleep. But hey, I'll give Jimmy this, he's open to a peaceful solution. Too bad this won't be the kind of "solution" he'll want any part of.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
And so Zelenin has fallen from "Voice of Reason" and is gleefully drinking from the fountain of 'praise YHVH until he comes up with a solution'. That's always been my main point of complaint with characters who end up Law aligned. Not to mention that once they get whatever divine upgrade that specific entry gives them, they always completely discard their prior peaceful leanings and get even more kill-happy than the Chaos heroes.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The Watercrown posted:

And so Zelenin has fallen from "Voice of Reason" and is gleefully drinking from the fountain of 'praise YHVH until he comes up with a solution'. That's always been my main point of complaint with characters who end up Law aligned. Not to mention that once they get whatever divine upgrade that specific entry gives them, they always completely discard their prior peaceful leanings and get even more kill-happy than the Chaos heroes.

I think you're an update early. Zelenin hasn't quite yet washed her head in any of Mastema's supposed brain water yet.
I mean. It's probably gonna happen for sure, but not just yet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

I think you're an update early. Zelenin hasn't quite yet washed her head in any of Mastema's supposed brain water yet.

Yeah, it's about as blatantly telegraphed as Buganez (Jimiboo?) but as it stands her only statement is "hey maybe we could try a way that isn't genocide" which... isn't really a bad road to go down.

There's still reason to be skeptical since letting the dickheads live already hosed up twice, but.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

freshlybaked posted:

this game isn't subtle about who's aligned how, and also this is the update where zel starts making it clear she think mastema is better then all these icky humans

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
If I was Hitonari, I would've been recommending a break for Zelenin after her talk with Mastema. Possibly in a room with bars. I couldn't really trust someone who says she can only truly express herself to a strange entity not part of the expedition.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

On reflection, I have no idea what the Red Sprite expects to happen with Jimboo if they do manage to get out of the Schwarzwelt. As far as we know you can't defuse him, so do they think he'll just idly stand by while the world government makes him a test subject?

Even if they don't see him as a threat, which is fair considering he's sticking with the mission and has been markedly more passive recently, they really should lock him up just in case the fusion has some hitherto unknown side effects.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS

freshlybaked posted:

Jack's Squad are bragging about how they murdered the overseers that were left with them and how they're gonna kill the rest of the team too, but Zelenin is against any reaction that will directly cause any humans to suffer. Instead of coming up with a solution on her own, she's saying we should go see the angel to get told what the answer is. No 'probably' about it. She's already soaping up her brain and is now asking for permission to give Mastema the cleaning rag.

On the topic of Jimenezaboo, I really don't see why people are so keen on seeing him locked up. With how common demon usage is, the first solution to come to mind should be getting Hitonari to Scout him. Sure, he's a Special demon, so he'll be weaker once he's on our side, but that completely eliminates the need to worry about keeping him under control, because our demons only disobey because of status ailments.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The Watercrown posted:

Jack's Squad are bragging about how they murdered the overseers that were left with them and how they're gonna kill the rest of the team too, but Zelenin is against any reaction that will directly cause any humans to suffer. Instead of coming up with a solution on her own, she's saying we should go see the angel to get told what the answer is. No 'probably' about it. She's already soaping up her brain and is now asking for permission to give Mastema the cleaning rag.

On the topic of Jimenezaboo, I really don't see why people are so keen on seeing him locked up. With how common demon usage is, the first solution to come to mind should be getting Hitonari to Scout him. Sure, he's a Special demon, so he'll be weaker once he's on our side, but that completely eliminates the need to worry about keeping him under control, because our demons only disobey because of status ailments.

Sure, her insistence on pacifism at this stage is probably silly, but from her perspective (and the player's too, really), Mastema has only ever been helpful. And honestly, I'd be hard-pressed to find any non-violent answer myself when an apparent 'easy' solution is available. Now, I'm not saying she's in the right, and I know ahead of time how her decision is going to go to the dumps, but I just don't see how Zelenin is currently acting particularly unreasonable.

Also I don't know if that scouting proposal is a genuine theory or not since it's bringing in gameplay elements into plot, but I'm pretty sure demons being weaker on our side is just one of those discrepancies the players suppose to shrug our shoulders at. I would also point out the ethics behind bringing someone who's still 'human-ish' under our control, but eh, the situation is so odd that I think it'd be pointless. Doubt he'd agree to it anyway.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It was only because of Zelenin that there was a crew left to turn on the Red Sprite. So at this point it would only be right to make her sit back and watch what happens when you are unwilling to make hard decisions.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prayer

Before we go speak with Mastema, we're gonna do the usual and see what folks reactions to Jack/Ryan's Squad somehow getting even worse is.

So I'm hoping Zelenin comes up with a good fix for the situation.
If that makes me a failure as a soldier, then oh well. That's just how I feel.

We've taken some casualties. I think it's only appropriate that we respond in kind.
I understand what Zelenin's trying to do, but can she really pull it off...?

I know that as a doctor I shouldn't be saying this, but I really am fed up with them.

Well... I'm not high-ranking enough to veto Zelenin's plan, so I'll go along for now.
But if they're going to carry it out, they should do it quick! I'd go kill him right now if I could!

So, the Cornucopia is a very important rare forma! It doesn't seem it, but it is.

Unlock E is going to prove very important. It won't seem like it at first, but just remember this for much, much later!

But he started this dang mess, and there ain't no gettin' around that.
So yeah... I can't argue he needs to be punished somehow.

He may have the technology, but if he tries to fight us, it'll only wear him down.
I almost miss Captain Jack--at least he acted like a friend, even if it was only an empty gesture.

Not Ryan, though... His greed has gotten to his head, and what once was a squad is now merely a gang.
I heard Zelenin stopped Jimenez when he tried to kill Ryan...
I think that was a mistake.

A Scorched Nation

Let's put this Unlock E through its paces now. Because it's this one door.

And a second one immediately after it because obviously, right.

This leads to a giant empty corridor that has 3 Gate Search Es along it.

Each one gates off a fixed Gold Forma.

That's it. That's all that's here.

Though if you do get a random encounter in this particular area, it has some... interesting demon team compositions.

You may enter our sanctuary.
Farewell...

We'll use the Phase Shifter in a minute, but first there's something left to do here.

The Fear of God

A couple Original Space demons, of course. Valyrie is pretty simple all things considered. Nothing here that you can't see already except the usable version comes with Blood Ritual by default. You saw how good that is against Jack, so that the enemy version doesn't have that is probably a mercy if you just run into one having never seen it before.

Oberon is... even simpler, though. He's EXACTLY how he looks, in every single way. Ally Call is of course enemy only but that's it.

Gogmagog can be fairly dangerous as an Unknown but once he gets to the stage where he's a known quantity, he's easier to deal with. That Ice/Elec pairing makes him potentially Annoying to deal with once you know it (and if you don't know it, you'll learn that the hard way) but that's all. Also he's 300% weak to Mute for all the nothing that really matters.

Incidentally, the gently caress is with those moves? Rakunda is outdated as gently caress, Counter is mediocre and the only skill that uses his best stat and Shock is terribad and his Magic sucks balls.

There is one more demon in here but we'll save it for later and that's definitely not just because it didn't turn up right now.

Just gonna dive right on in to the Sanctuary now, I guess. Gotta find Mastema eventually, after all.

Master Mastema is beyond here.
Be aware that we have set snares to prevent our foes from easily infiltrating.
I pray that you make it to Master Mastema safely...

Yeah, so, the Sanctuary starts of pretty linear so we'll just skip ahead to when that cha--

oh hello again Pale Rider thats twice in rapid succession

But I definitely am not complaining about getting another Great Chakra and Kresnik's secret real reason for being here is achieved.

Hello, earliest guaranteed Riot Gun (the second/last is level... 86)! And, oh my, he bonus skilled Charge?! Bwahahahaha, yes. This is good. This is very good. It is not quite the best Source possible, but it is definitely up there.

Anyway, hello, Riot Gun is the best skill in the game (there is technically one better but you get it so late that it might as well not exist). It has a base 500 Power which is the highest of every attack bar none, costs a mere 30 MP, has 130% base Accuracy and will loving murder the poo poo out of whatever you hit with it. Charge makes it ludicrously overpowered. Its one drawback is that it is Gun elemental so while it doesn't work on Everything, it can also exploit the poo poo out of weaknesses. Remember this. This is an important detail.

You CAN get Riot Gun earlier than this, of course, via Skill Changes. The easiest way is to get Mana Aid from something since that has a very good chance of changing into Riot Gun if/when it does skill change.

The Fear of God

Speaking of which, here's a good example of both sides of that.

Anzu is a weird, bad demon who decides that he wants to main Agility. The stat that is the least useful. Good job, Anzu. Everything else is visible and boring, though his Source does give Void Elec which is... something I guess.

Xiuhtecuhtli is a little more interesting because by default he cannot hurt himself. At all. His basic attack is Gun elemental (don't question it), his only skills are Fire and Gun... He also decides that, yes, Agility is the stat he wants the most but at least his Str and Mag are kind of decent as well to balance that out somewhat. And his Source gives Void Fire which is also something.

Sarasvati is kind of simple but also kind of... not? Her best stat is Luck, bizarrely, though her Magic is a very close second. The usable version has Samarecarm by default as well as Mabufudyne and Mediarama which is definitely A Thing. Her source is two-thirds a waste of time and one-third Void Ice.

Pachacamac is easily better in your own hands than the AIs because then he doesn't have Strainoma. A bad worthless skill that inflicts Strain on one target. Also Pachacamac is immune to Strain for all the nothing that matters. Also also Pachacamac's source gives Debilitate and Void Curse.

Also also also I know that he's an Incan god but Pachacamac just sounds like an actual name for an actual Pokemon more tha anything else. Probably doesn't hurt that it's fun to say a lot in succession.

An Honor Befitting that Name

And hey, let's throw in the Enemy Searches for good measure. Garuda is weak to Gun and Ice, resists Expel, nullifies Wind and reflects Fire. He doesn't reflect extra damage unlike, say, Pyro Jack though. No ailment resistances so he gets turned into a rock.

His source gives Repel Fire so, uh, that's something that might be nice if/when you hit level 71.

Heimdall is the actual enemy search demon here; Peri is just a friend he invites sometimes. Speaking of Peri, she's weak to Ice, nullifies Expel and Drains Fire. Plus she has a beautifully high magic stat, but has no offensive magic. She has Diarahan and Paraladi and that's it. Peri, what are you doing?

Heimdall is a bit weird and gimmicky. He has two skills that are pretty niche and uncommon, which we'll see later I'm sure. He's weak to Fire, resists Ice and Curse and immune to Expel but his only ailment resistance is to nullify Sleep so he goes down like everyone else.

Both Heimdall and Garuda have a 27.5% chance to turn up solo and a 20% chance to turn up with their buddy. How convenient. Pale Rider accounts for that missing 5% of course.

Right so, anyway, there's a terminal and healing spot near the entrance. For once I understand the reasoning behind this being so close to the entrance. Or at least I think I do.

Those who cannot sublimate their wills to a higher calling should leave this place.

Amidst this illusion, I cannot even find the path forward...

There are humans who capture and torture demons...
Humans truly are cruel beings...
It is not too late; serve us and we shall show you the correct path.

Right so, we're definitely in the right spot for sure and even these guys are clearly sick of Jack's Squad at this point. Even if it is for different reasons than why anyone else is.

But, uh, yeah. The reason that Terminal and Heal Spot are there is because this is a small teleport section. Most of them just drop you back over in front of the Terminal.

There is only one path further in and the number of teleports is very few and far between. It's really, REALLY easy to get through this spot as a result.

Progress in that previous section is just a straightline, for example. It's so weird.

But if we take the path around the side, it brings us to a door that is locked. It's not an Unlock door but an Alignment locked door! If your alignment is not Law, it won't open.

The only thing inside is a Magic Incense anyway. It's not worth fretting about, so it's not too big a deal.

Doubling back to the one line of progress, we can get to another alignment locked door which... gives 2 Mahama Stones. That's... okay, and saves time and money so I can't complain about that.

Following the main path, we can get to this room. There's a special door right here; it's that thing on the opposite wall.

Unfortunately, it is currently obstructed by this guy.

I have heard the void of our Lord.
It was faint, but I heard it very clearly.

When that time comes, you will no longer find me here.

Or to put it simply: everything past this door is locked off until New Game+. This is fairly annoying but also vaguely kind of understandable but not really. It's really annoying to me right now because this means we cannot complete the maps of any floor of Grus until then!

As long as your spirit is pure, Heaven shall welcome you.
You will become beings wrapped in light, as we are.

Stability gives man peace and composure.
All those living yearn for stability.
Now, let us create a world that values stability and balance.

The NG+ door is located very close to these guys who just... generically proselytize. More important is that there is only one teleporter past this room which brings us nicely to...

Law Theme

What do you think of our holy fortress? We are consolidating our power.
And it seems you have business with me again today.

We have another severe problem.
Not with demons... with humans.

> You explained the struggle between the investigative team and Ryan's squad.

I see... The desire to make all others your own...

Mastema sure is acting an awful lot different since the first half of the game, huh...?

...Very well.
It is possible to have them see the errors of their ways and turn to the Lord.
How...?

An... angel's hymn?
The songs of the angels have guided the sons of man since ancient times.
The guidance of the messengers surpasses any worldly temptations.
So you're going to save everyone with your voice, Mastema?
Sadly, my voice has no more power to affect the hearts of man.
The times have changed, and the hearts of man have changed with it...

THe same is true for the angels here. Man's heart is hardened against their guidance, too.
But be not afraid. Though the power of my song is lost, I have other powers.

To bestow power upon humans by transfiguring them and welcoming them into the heavenly host...
That is given unto me, Mastema, leader of His armies.
Under this power's protection...
You may become angels yourself, sons of man.
We can... become angels...?

In many cases, humans have been given greater power than the other angels.
The song of humans pleases Him and has the power to repel evil.

To ascend to angelhood is the ultimate bliss man can achieve.
Inextinguisable sadness, never-ending doubts... All of man's suffering can thus cease.
The power of angels... It can take away my sadness...?
Not everyone can withstand the transfiguration, mind.
If the heretical, the blasphemous, the impious attempt to undergo the process..

Then, too, he who becomes an angel will walk a different road than that of mankind.
If, for instance, your crew should be able to return to Earth, you yourself...
Please consider it seriously before you make your decision.

> Mastema stepped forward.

Then may I ask for your answer?
I'll do it.
Oho!

Remember, once you have been transfigured, your destiny is forever sealed...
Do you have such a steely will? Are you truly certain?
I'm prepared.
Wait, Hitonari.

Hohohh! Both of you volunteering... What a marvelous surprise.
But one will suffice.
When I consider both of you...

I understand. I am grateful to be chosen.
Don't worry, Hitonari. It's just that I'm powerless right now. So...
I had my doubts about the Schwarzwelt investigation after a while.
Even if we did find a way to return to Earth...
Morever, even if we did find a way to destroy the Schwarzwelt...

Even without the Schwarzwelt, humans could destroy themselves... Our species would die out.
Now... I have a chance to attain the power to fix our mistake and guide the people.

Zelenin. I have seen your resolve.
Ahh, my Lord... my judgement was correct. The soul of Zelenin is about to be reborn as an angel of salvation!
Now, Zelenin. Come to me.
...Hitonari.

And what's sad is that they didn't need to lie. They only showed us our true faces.
The disaster the demons hope to unleash is something born of none other than humanity.
None of which is to say that I believe humans are beyond salvation.
We still have it within us, if we choose, to climb to higher peaks.
I'm going, Hitonari.

Silence

> Zelenin walked toward Mastema.

> Zelenin died of asphyxiation!

Now, Zelenin. Close your eyes and place my finger on your brow.

> Mastema began chanting...
> A bright light enveloped the area...

Law Theme

How do you feel?

...Wow, that suit looks so dumb. From the ridiculous ruffle-y rectangles on the sleeve to the giant popped collar.

To the realisation that the collar is just a HEART that's been folded to look like a taco and I just... wow. What a lazy, low-effort "angel" design.

I shall become a corrective light for these corrupted lands, as well as for mankind.

Our Lord must be quite pleased to witness the birth of an angel like yourself.
...Well, Hitonari?
What do you think of my rebirth?
It's awe-inspiring.
I am no longer human... I am sure it is difficult for you to think of anything else.

Perhaps it is because I know I am under His protection...
Now, let us go to where Jack's squad dwells.

Welp, back to the Red Sprite we go with Zelenin's awful new design to... help?

Silence

Is that... Zelenin...?

Law Theme

Though you may be startled and confused to see me as I am now...
Be not afraid. I am, as ever, a member of the team.
Zelenin has this kind of aura that wasn't there before...

I have been saved by a righteous power, becoming more righteous and more powerful in kind.
I can... do more for you all than I could before.
Do not worry about Jack's squad...

She's... trying to save us by sacrificing herself...
How noble...

Chaos Theme

Is she doing this for our sake, or hers...?
Jimenez... if only I had the power to restore you to your proper form.
Unfortunately, it seems I do not.
I will subdue Jack's squad.
You should rest.
Could you not talk to me unless you absolutely have to?

Go ahead and handle Jack's squad... if you can.

Though your physical makeup has changed, you may proceed with the mission as planned.
We will now travel to Jack's Squad HQ.
All hands, take your positions.

Silence

I know we're in the depths of Hell itself, but...
Where is this all going...?

Didn't you hear Arthur? Jack's Squad HQ.

Prayer

Before we go see how we're going to deal with Jack's Squad, we'll see what everyone else thinks about Zelenin's new clothes.

I hope this doesn't affect the rest of the crew...
Or... is it those two who are right in this case?
Did they evolve into forms suited to this world and get a leg up on the rest of humanity..?
I just don't know anymore. What's right, what's wrong...

Then again... she and Jimenez both have gotten stronger by giving up their humanity.
When you look at it that way... We're weak... the weakest creatures in this world...
Well, then again... Are humans really that weak...?
I wonder how long we can keep our sanity in this nightmare...

I wouldn't mind having the chance to examine Zelenin's angelic form, either...
Every inch of her body, a thorough medical inquiry from head to toe...
Heheheh... You don't think that sounds blasphemous, do you?

You're not a little jealous?
Not really.
Yeah... someone as strong as you would have no reason to be.
I'll be frank: I'm very, very jealous of them.
I mean, they made the choice to become superhuman, and then acted on it!
I wish... I could be like that...

She's a beaut, but... somethin' about her don't quite si right with me.
...She doesn't feel human at all. I get the shivers lookin' at her, and not in a good way.

...But I think it's okay. We just believe in different things.
As a scientist, I believe in the scientific method over all. And those two had their own beliefs.
That's how I see it, at least. It's simple, really.

On the battlefield, angels of mercy and angels of death are the same. They both come for you.
I hope Zelenin hasn't become our very own angel of death.

Right, so Jack's Squad HQ... again... Hopefully this'll be the last time. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't, but I will still be annoyed!

A Rotten Nation

I must purify them...
Tadano... will you bear witness to my newborn power?
I shall make these rebels repent of their deeds.
Fear not and trust in the power I have received from the Lord...

> Zelenin headed deeper into the field...

Well, we already know where the Lightning is and there is absolutely nothing new in the HQ, surprise, surprise. Let's just go pay Ryan a visit.

Silence

Listen now to the grand hymn of guidance!

Law Theme

> Something is happening behind the hatch...

We have killed humans we were meant to help!
We were wrong... How sinful we have been...
O Lord, we repend our sins!
Please... Forgive us...!
Repent your sins, sons of man, and cast away your demons.

The voice of Zelenin!
Hallelujah! Zelenin!
Hallelujah!

> The members of Jack's squad are praising Zelenin...

Remember back in Delphinus when Zelenin was the first person to shittalk the MK Gun existing and how brainwashing is kind of sort of Super loving Evil? Because I sure do.

And yet. And yet!

Though the contribution is small, I am sure He is pleased to have more believers.

> Jimenez appeared...

Fear

Zelenin! Did... did you do this!?
This is my power. The power of the Lord...
They have received guidance...
They see now the correct path in life.
"Correct path"...?
Looks more like they all went nuts to me!

I dunno, I think in this case Jimenez is completely in the right here.

She just made Jack's squad surrender to us without a single loss on either side.
Thanks, Zelenin... Glad there won't be any needless bloodshed today.
Now, let's go make a survey of what's inside the Lightning.
Tch... so who's next, Zelenin...?

Especially the demons they were using...
Hey... Ryan! Where all the demons!?
...O Lord... Forgive me... Forgive... my sins...
Hey, I'm talking to you, man! Answer me!
...Ryan. Take us to where you store the demons you captured.
......! Of course, Zelenin.
The demons are this way...

Now then, Hitonari. Let us visit the captive demons...

They were using the medical equipment? What bastards...
Release the demons.
Yes. As you command...

> Ryan and the other members of Jack's squad released the demons.

I'll kill you all!
Stop. I will not allow you to harm these people.
They have heard my song and faced their foolishness.
I understand your anger over the selfish actions of these sons of man...

Leave this place.

Fine. We'll leave... Just don't sing anymore.
That song is dangeorus. It's too much for us.

I'm thinking of looking for a place we can take the victims of these experiments to recuperate.

If we talk to her about our situation, I'm sure she'll treat us with kindness.
Anyone who wishes to go there, come with me.

Where are they going...?

Grus; Grendel made that fairly clear!

> The demon turned to you and spoke.

You saved us... but it was from a situation caused by your own kind. I offer no thanks.
It is true, though, that we have underestimated humans thus far.

Goodbye.

> The demon left...

Thanks a lot!

Oh no, now whatever will we do? Slime's gonna hold a grudge!

Thanks for what you did.

> The demons left, following their leader.

I'm gonna chase after them.
I'm a victim of the same experiments...

...Don't worry. I'll be back.
Laters.
And hey... be careful of Zelenin.

> Jimenez followed after the demons...

Hitonari. We have utterly pacified Jack's squad.

You should return to the Red Sprite to make your own report.
The situation has been resolved.

> Zelenin left.

All crewmen who have completed their assigned duties, return to the Red Sprite.
I have approved the independent missions of First Lieutenant Zelenin and Crewman Jimenez.

Gonna make a Sleipnir real quick. He's not great but he's needed later for Odin so we'll do it now. Like, jeez, look at those stats. Sleipnir, please. The real messed up thing here is that Sleipnir is the earliest demon that comes with Luster Candy by default. His Source does not give Luster Candy. :v:

It also doesn't give anything good other than War Cry.

Malevolence and Benevolence

Now to resume our main objective of investigating the Schwarzwelt.

She really has been reborn as an angel...

Besides, you call that a miracle?
Looked more like brainwashing to me...
I analyzed the range of frequencies emanating from First Lieutenant Zelenin's vocal cords.
It was inconsistent with that of a human, and I could find no match in my libraries.
I can only say with certainty that it is some sort of resonating signal that directly affects brain waves.

I observed some similarities in their wavelengths, but her power is vastly more intense.

There are many unknown factors, but one might see it as First Lieutenant Zelenin's unique ability.

Well, that's one hell of an understatement.

A secondary observed effect of causing harm to demons has also been reported.
These two data points suggest that she can be extraordinarily useful.
...Alright, Arthur, I get ya.
I'm satisifed for now that Zelenin isn't our enemy.
Now for the data we have collected on sector Grus.

It is possible that this may be a hint as to the whereabouts of the Exotic Matter.

Any other details? Like, maybe where we can find it?
The position of Maya and the energy signature we believe it to be are still unknown.
The illusory nature of this sector is proving to be a hindrance to our investigational efforts.

We must extract information from him by whatever methods prove effective.
Carry out your duties as you see fit.

The "Sanctum"?

There's a band of demons hiding out there.
If Maya's hideout is connected to the Sanctum...
You'll have to go through there before you can get to it.
But don't worry.

If you use this forma and download it to the Main App...
Then you should be able to get into the Sanctum too.
In the shape I'm in, I don't really give a rip about escaping anymore, but...
Tadano's always helped me out.

I don't need it. I can go in and outta there anytime I want, thanks to my new form.

Crewman Jimenez, thank you for finding this forma.
I cannot officially encourage your tendency to act independently.

Tch... spoilsport.

Crewman Hitonari, take this forma to Irving in the lab.
Once your Main App is upgraded, resume your duties.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Way to be a huge hypocrite, Zelenin! I wasn't expecting her transformation to make her more dangerous than Jimenez but a super strong guy is nothing compared to brainwashing song. I also find it funny that characters talk about the angels as if they are different from demons when the game interface and mechanics revel them to be just different types of demons. It makes Zelenin's whole thing about trusting angels versus demons seem stupid, delusional, or hypocritical. In a better written game, the hypocrisy could have been foreshadowing Zelenin's stance on brainwashing.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Team Law, everyone. At least the demons are honest about the whole invasion, murder, and destruction thing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not seeing where the hypocrisy or deception is.

I could understand if Zelenin expressed objection to the MK Gun, but I don't recall such. The closest thing was her saying that it indicated that there was a lack of trust between human beings.

Also, the game mechanics and interface treat Humans identically to demons as well. They even have correct alignments, like if I recall properly Jack's Squad is all Dark-Neutral. So I'm not sure you want to use that sort of meta-reasoning. In addition, non-angel demon races also make the differentiation.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I really do not like angel Zelenin. She was never the most nuanced of characters in the first place, but now she'll be perpetually talking like any one of the high and mighty angels dialed to the max. I thought the whole point of the alignment 'heroes' was to give a human perspective to the demons and angels beliefs, but now she's pretty much turned into a complete caricature and acts more like a robot than a person.

That outfit is at least memorable though. Beats generic robes and wings for sure.

• Locked thread