Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

If you can stick with Strange Journey to the end, it's a great entry point for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Also, Demonicas aren't just the helmet, they are the helmet and suit, right?
I've always assumed they were like sentai suits.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Speaking of which, there really is no way to mark the map yourself in any way, shape, or form?
Nope but it's really not necessary except one time but even that isn't so bad without it

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I think the filing of certain demons into Food was an instance of SMT IV taking it's own personal designs into account far more than the mythological origins of said demons; I wouldn't say that's very out-of-character for the series.

I always liked to think Bugaboo was mostly an Elve crew member that's just resigned to going with Jimenez because they can't talk right anymore.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I think the fact that everyone is kind of unreasonable and rash, including Jimenez and Zelenin, works pretty well for a story about a bunch of supposedly well-trained soldiers, medics, and engineers being thrown completely for a loop and seemingly left to die in a big black dome. That being said Zelenin refusing to see worth in any demon because a group of them experimented on the Elve crew and held her captive for an indeterminate amount of time seems at least understandable. Jimenez is feeling trapped and running on fumes. He wants to get out of the Schwarzwelt, clearly only heard "here's how we might get out of here" and using is an AI as his personal venting post now that he's told firmly and clearly it will require more work. I don't think either of those attitudes are enough to make either of them unlikable... yet.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Delphinus is one of my favorite areas of SJ to navigate so I'm excited to see how OP demolishes it.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Fornax is the second coolest looking sector of Strange Journey. It also has one of the best moments of SJ. Can't wait to see you trash it hardcore.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Grus is trash garbage and it's the singular reason I've dropped more SJ replays than I remember.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

On reflection, I have no idea what the Red Sprite expects to happen with Jimboo if they do manage to get out of the Schwarzwelt. As far as we know you can't defuse him, so do they think he'll just idly stand by while the world government makes him a test subject?

Even if they don't see him as a threat, which is fair considering he's sticking with the mission and has been markedly more passive recently, they really should lock him up just in case the fusion has some hitherto unknown side effects.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

It really does feel like Strange Journey had one scenario writer for the first half and then they butted heads with the standard SMT alignment system until either they gave up or a completely different writer stepped in to spot-weld SJ to the series formula.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Just because Yamato's motivations sort of make sense doesn't mean he can't still be pretty bad. You might as well hang that over every alignment character in SMT history.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

3. Ignore Jimboo & Xtreme Fonz Zelenin and pickpocket the key to the seal from Grendel

1. Murderize Ryan and co.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Horologium is the reason I keep trying to replay SJ. I love this sector so much because the gloves are completely off at this point.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Mother Harlot looks so great and yet she's such utter trash. It's a crime against humanity that's she's not godly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

*not really spoilers but it's only nice

The reason both the Chaos and Law endings suck in Strange Journey (and pretty much all of megaten) is because both of them are both practically and thematically lazy. If angels can brainwash people and actually want the best for people, brainwash the world leaders on earth to give food and shelter to literally everyone, make it so no one kills anyone, stop pollution, cull any resistance to that process with your ridiculous strength, and otherwise leave humans alone. The angels don't care about humans, they care about how well they live up to their preconceived notions of what a good human is. So screw it, just make them pray at god forever. That's what they should be doing anyways, right?

As for Jimenez and demons, it's pretty clear not all demons are powerful, and only those who believe they are powerful, or protected, are down for Might Makes Right. If they were weak, it's pretty easy to extrapolate they would oppose the idea... but since Jimenez thinks he's powerful he thinks he'll make it out on top and stay on top. Jimenez doesn't care about the well being of humans and demons pretty explicitly, so this option gives him sport and it's not hard to declare open season on killing. Even if Jimenez were a weak dude, supporting that kind of route is only power-hungry.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread