Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mediocre, huh? Hm, I heard Strange Journey was a fantastic game, according to a lot of people. I guess I can find out for myself through this LP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

It also did some weird things, particularly stuff like there not being a vitality stat or defense value, but that gets into a much longer discussion.

How does this even work? Like depending on how damage is handled, everything is gonna have to have tons of HP, or battles are basically rocket tag, and might come down to who moves first.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Most of my beef with this game boils down to how it doesn't seem to know what it wants.

There was a vocal number of people that disliked nocturne and DDS for radically changing the setting and mechanics from the previous SMT games on the snes and ps1. Ok, fair enough. So with this game they try to take things back to that, only they don't at all really outside of the most superficial ways (why can't you have a party of 6? Doesn't this game run on the etrian oddsey engine, which itself has six character slots?)

So what you're left with is a game that threw all the great innovation the series had into the dumpster so it could be a throwback to the old school rough-around the edges dungeon crawlers of the past. But then it guts most of the mechanics from that era so all you're really left with is the obnixious dungeon design and bland combat but with less options and grinding for materials

From what I heard, it's a modified version of EO1's engine. There technically are 6 slots, but only 5 of them can be filled in that game.

Speaking of which, there really is no way to mark the map yourself in any way, shape, or form?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

freshlybaked posted:

I personally like to think that the protagonist's white bands on his suit designates that he's an outside recruit to the squads. Even more appropriate if you think of him as the only Japanese person present.

Nah, Gore refers to the protagonist as "another American."

Dragonatrix posted:

Now, if there was say holes (or spinners like this is some old school Wizardry nonsense) then it'd be much, much worse.

That sounds like it would be an utter nightmare to navigate with only the automapping feature this game has.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Murder is the correct solution.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

The one cardinal rule of SMT: Strange Journey - using a reflect skill/item against a boss is the quickest way to get a Game Over.

This seems to be a rule in SMT games in general from what I've heard. To the point where using them is pointless.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, who exactly wanted a 3DS remake of this?

Despite what was posted in this thread, Strange Journey did have a very favorable reception in general. I don't know who actually wanted a remake, but I doubt people will say no to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, it was interesting to check out the game at the very least. It probably could have used more passovers in editing or whatever (the whole bit where Jimenez basically brainwashes the crew really stood out considering how he was against that before). Still, good LP, Dragonatrix!

• Locked thread