Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Central Park

Mister Temple rarely meets the ring in person, and this time is no different. The dead drop is near the Alice statue in Central Park. Dead drops, really - one for each member of the ring - but what is in them is identical. A manila folder full of paper, written in an obscure Portuguese dialect and decorated with entirely innocuous pictures from a children's book. Obviously this is no trouble for any of you to read. The drops also contain prepaid cell phones, though you likely have several of those already.

New contracts are here. Discuss them and get back to me on which one you want to take. Text the contract's number to 254-11 and I will provide fuller details. Use that number for no other purpose.

Mr. Temple has preferred this kind of contact - he's a paranoid Inquisitor, never happy unless he's behind several smokescreens. Still, this part of Central Park is nice and quiet, with several benches and chess tables that could be used to discuss the potential jobs. Mister Temple has found three.

1: Wall Street Worship

A client within Patterson, Lilith and Sloane would like certain data held in a Wall Street trader's office. Data is of a non-financial occult nature, related to a suspected cult within the trading floor. Client would like to confirm or deny existence of this cult and, if it exists, gain information on its leadership to suborn or destroy them if necessary. The cult is believed to exist and to be attempting to manipulate futures trading to some unknown end. Possible G-M involvement but unconfirmed. Client is offering payment in the form of secured contracts for ownership of a pet and/or a job in a financial firm, held in escrow until job is finished.

2: The Mole People

A client has approached through a broker with Zero-Sec. Client is concerned by the deaths of several members of the Manhattan homeless population. All deaths tied to the Mole People, the indigent population that lives in the subway tunnels. Client suspects angelic intervention in relation to these deaths, would like confirmation. Options for continued employment if a project is discovered and needs to be destroyed. Client is offering payment in the form of future favors of an unspecified but nonviolent nature, optionally secured by collateral.

3: Danger in the Zoo

A client with Tenth Street has reported a series of crimes they think are related but which they would prefer the police not deal with. A series of thefts within the Central Park Zoo and certain pet stores and feed stocks of various animal products. The client believes these items to be potentially useful in occult ritual and assures us that the G-M is not involved. The client would like to know who is and, if possible, recruit their services - by blackmail if necessary. The client believes the target is armed and dangerous. Client is offering payment in the form of expunging of New York police records in the future (or now, if required).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

Central Park, generally speaking, is a little out of Mr. Park's way. Doesn't mean he never gets there, but the walk's a bit far, even by his standards. So he takes a cab in the morning, to the Met, and spends some time looking at the new exhibit. Everybody who knows Mr. Park knows that he keeps up with the exhibits occasionally, one of his only sidesteps from his restaurant business. Around lunchtime, he takes the walk through the park, and ends up at a little deli that's been there for as long as he can remember. He reads the file in a secluded little corner, where nobody will bother him, while he waits for his - very specific - order.

He eats the lunch in the park, again, enjoying the sunshine and the birds. It's his quiet time, before he has to head back and prepare for the dinner rush. "Third day seems the easiest," he muses, to none of the persons around him in particular - in Korean, "but there's always complications, especially with sweet promises. I wonder if there isn't something to be done sooner, on the first day. Dislike the weather, but the path seems smooth." To anybody listening, he might as well be reciting a poem in his native language. But he knows that the people around him know exactly what he means, while he keeps eating his lunch.

Mr. Park is a slow eater.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011
Be sure and check User's rap sheet they are very naughty!

Andre Washington / Mr. Sparks

Andre Washington grinned at the old man he was playing chess with. It wasn't a daily habit, but it happened often enough that he was a regular. He won enough to be cocky; lost enough not to stand out. Today, however, his conversation over the chess board was interrupted by a phone call.

"Excuse me - I actually do have to take this one. Hello! Yes, Miss Lee. So I've convinced you to take some classes? Excellent! Right now, I've got openings on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I strongly encourage Monday or Tuesday, though. Our Monday class is actually more then just self defense training; we go into self esteem building, helping you fit your training to your schedule, and talk a lot more about when and how to use what I'm teaching you - you want to make sure you're always out there helping others, yeah? Tuesdays right now I actually have some good sized groups, and call me old fashioned, but I like helping a lot of people all at once, and I think you'd fit right in - help you socialize a little, you know? Ahahaha, yeah, it's pretty similar to my pitch for Monday. Don't forget what I told you - it's not enough to feel good after a workout, you gotta know you can DO good if anything ever happens nearby. Wednesday, well, it's open, but to be honest, it's not my best day. Middle of the week, we tend to use it for more cooldown exercising, and for you, I think a more vigorous workout would do you better. Say - why don't we meet and talk this over in person?"

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Snow

It's a nice day out, Libby's got her pokécap on and a white T-shirt with some manner of pixel mosaic logo in crimson red next to something that looks like, but isn't, Chinese seal writing, and she's ready to not catch Pokémon. Because come on, you think she's still playing PokéGo? It's been out long enough for her to lose interest. Besides, she's with a friend, and you don't stare at your phone for hours on end when you're with a friend.

She brought the 3DS for that.

"Hey, Brook," she says, nudging her friend lightly with her shoulder. "Look over there." She points out where an especially fit young man is playing chess with an elderly gentleman nearby, smiling through false suppression. "That is so cute. Isn't that cute? That's like right out of a movie."

She leads Brooklyn straight up to the Alice statue and sits down on a toadstool, then pulls out the 3DS and begins tapping through menus. As she does so, though, she puffs her cheeks out slightly in irritation, and begins speaking in a thickly regionally-accented Portuguese, occasionally peppering in some English.

"Ugh. Are we really doing this? I'm not conducting an entire conversation in metaphor, you dorks. If company oversight were good enough to make that necessary, we'd already all have gotten the pink slip anyway, and I am totally not going to waste my time trying to guess at what the weather is supposed to mean. Goofballs. So anyway, if you want my input, stock market's gonna be my personal strongest suit for getting done, but the payoff's not appealing, it's just not a very interesting job. Kinda blah. I'm interested in the pet shops, I think I've got a role to play there, and the pay is good, plenty useful. Tunnels: job worth doing, but not a job I can promise much on from my end. Still, if we go tunnels, I'll respect the choice and I'll see what I can turn up. I vote pet shop. I think that one might go some interesting places. What do you think?"

She looks up at Brooklyn.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Brooklyn/Ms. Curie

I sigh and give up immediately on protesting Libby sitting on the statue. It's as pointless as trying to get her to put away the video game, or as expecting Mr. Was--oh, sorry, that's right, Mr. Sparks right sorry--to stop being waaaaaaay too paranoid. A little bit of paranoia I get, it's perfectly healthy, but he takes it to exhausting new levels.

Was I rolling my eyes just there? Hm, I wonder why.

"What I think," I start in English, then switch to the same dialect in Portugese, "is that you're exactly right about the level of obscurity. I like the tunnels job, honestly. I don't know how believably useful a seventeen year old will be trying to infiltrate Wall Street, and I'm worried about the whole armed and dangerous thing on the third job. The tunnels, I might not be able to help any more than anywhere else, but at least it's the one that's about helping people. Right?"

I pause. "I also think you're right about it being right out of a movie." Gotta get my jabs in.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Alicia / the Erel

Someone else is seated on a bench just behind the statue, close enough to be within earshot. Alicia Morales is not at work, and thus out of uniform--she's a fit-looking woman with short hair, wearing a tank top and shorts. She's fussing with her phone, perhaps taking a mid-jog break to answer a text message or check people's statuses. In reality, things are a bit different.

"I'm not so concerned with the pay," Alicia says, in that same dialect Liberty was using. "And second sounds like it might be within my wheelhouse." An unread email surfaces. Alicia reads it, but keeps on talking. "That's my vote. If that's not agreeable to the rest of you, I defer to the group's judgment."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Salt

"I'm sorry, is this seat taken, ma'am?" Aziz tilts down his trademark sunglasses and gives Alicia a winning smile. "Nice day out, isn't it." A human in this position would make a show of fake politeness. And, well, Aziz in particular would be a little flirtatious about it. Salt is compelled to give that smile to more than a few women every day. Just for show, of course. It can be a chore, as with so many parts of maintaining his life as Aziz. But today it's not too onerous.

Taking a seat at the bench he pulls out his laptop and scrolls through some expense spreadsheets he's already memorized. "Hm, hey man. Yeah, I'm here by the Alice statue. No, the... yeah, that one," he says into his earpiece. A benefit of his job; he's allowed and expected to be wearing it pretty much all day long, and thus has a perfect excuse to talk to nobody in particular. Just touch your ear and every human in earshot immediately does two things: starts eavesdropping on your conversation, and stops caring about what you're doing. "No no no, I agree with her: B's a pretty good pick. But hey, it's all good with me." He cricks his neck and gives Alicia a little wink.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

Mr. Park finishes his sandwich while the others discuss. Once they finish, he recites another few lines in Korean, slow and deliberately. "It seems we favor the tunnels, then. So be it. If somebody will contact Mr. Temple, I'll excuse myself for today. I have a dinner service to prepare. " The crumpled sandwich paper flies in a perfect arc into the trash bin as he walks by, and makes his way out of the park to call for a taxi. Time to head home and start on the prep. The others could do the contact, and the information would find itself towards him sooner or later. It was easier that way.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Salt

"Right, got it. I'll handle it. Talk to you later," says Aziz into his earpiece. Mr. Mot never seems to stick around for long. Salt isn't sure if this is due to his inner drive or just a dislike of company. Hopefully it won't become a problem.

Aziz whips out his phone and sends a text to Mr. Temple's number, one that reads only "2". Hopefully Mr. Temple will be more forthcoming about this mission than the last; Salt is not fond of surprises.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The text is sent. There is no response for several minutes. Then, an old woman wearing a straw hat with flowers in it wanders in from elsewhere in the park, walking a small and equally elderly dog. She wanders over to the statue for a moment, and places a flower from her hat on the statue. She wanders away just as quickly. A text arrives back.

Take the flower.

Once checked, it reveals a USB stick attached to it. The woman must have been a Cover, albeit not one you've seen before.

On the USB stick is more details.

Client wishes to remain anonymous but works as a city ME. However, list of known deaths is:

Sarah Kurovec, social worker
Margaret "Maggy Red" Cole, homeless
Jane Doe #1, AKA "Sister Shotgun", homeless
Jane Doe #2, AKA "Blind Beatrice". homeless
Sister Caroline Mathers, nun

Please find attached a subway map with all of the body drop locations marked. Bodies are currently in the city morgue, with one exception. Sarah Kurovec has been released from city custody to her son, who is preparing for the funeral in two days. He is not considered a suspect in her murder. All five deaths are considered murders. Sarah's is believed solved; a homeless man was arrested after being found over her with a knife. Client is certain he is not the killer. His name is Jake Ramsey, former Army Corporal. He is currently awaiting trial in the Manhattan Detention Complex.

Client's reason for suspecting an angel is based on evidence found at each scene, disregarded by police. In each location, blood was left in geometrically significant shapes. Sarah: perfect sphere. Margaret: equilateral triangle. Sister Shotgun: perfect square. Blind Beatrice: circle again. Sister Caroline: triangle again. Blood shapes were ignored by police due to being concealed by large quantities of blood, but were noted by client at the scene.

Please send further questions to this address, which will go dead in 24 hours.

And, attached as promised, are the map and a new texting address.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow

Liberty doesn't take long after the woman leaves to pick up the flower and find the flash drive. She gestures for Brooklyn to cover her, and at an angle obscured from bystanders, fits the drive into the tip of her thumb, as if the flesh concealed an invisible USB port. She murmurs to herself under her breath, reading the contents of the drive, while Mr. Mot takes his leave. She takes only a minute or so before she snaps it back out, leaving little to no visible mark on her thumb, and looks around herself.

"Hey, where's Mot? Did Mot seriously just bail? Ugh. Anyway, stick's clean, I've got contacts for each of you I can send the info off to after I transcribe it. Mail me back and we can coordinate our roles on this one. I figure we'll definitely want two things to start us out. We'll want to canvas the homeless and see what they know – that might be Curie and me – and Erel's gonna have to listen for scuttlebutt at the station. We have locations if anybody's good at DIY forensics. Maybe we could meet up for lunch or something if we want to talk specifics. Remember, 'online security' is an oxymoron."

Libby shifts down from her perch on the statue, gesturing for Brooklyn to follow.

"I got a better box to send this off from than a phone at home. You wanna stay for dinner, or do you have plans tonight? Pass this to Salt as we go by." She casually slips Brooklyn the USB drive as they approach the two on the bench.

She'll be transcribing the text stored on the drive first thing when she gets home, sending it to each ringmate from a burner address.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Salt

Salt opens his laptop bag just a little to let Curie drop the USB in, and then leans towards Alicia, grinning conspiratorially. "I gotta get going, but, uh, tonight around seven I'm gonna be dropping by the morgue..." -- he says that in Egyptian Arabic, just in case -- "maybe I'll see you there, huh?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Brooklyn/Ms. Curie

I slip the USB drive quietly to Salt while answering Libby. "I'll stay for dinner. I kept this evening clear, told my parents we'd be working on an assignment together. They think I mean for school, of course," I add, still in Portuguese. "I'll just need to call Hunter a little later to let him know I miss him."

This last I say quietly. I know that some of the others think I'm strange or foolish for how I feel about Hunter. I don't understand some of their objections to my relationship, so I try not to rub their noses in it--but I do need to call him and I don't want anyone listening to mistake Hunter for a part of this other business, so I don't use Portuguese.

Maybe dangerous. Thinking about what might happen if someone decided to use Hunter to get to me still terrifies me.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

Andre Washington by all accounts was simply still on his phone.

"Uh huh? Uh huh. Yeah, we'll do lunch, tomorrow. That place in Harlem I told you about last time we met? Sounds good. I'll see you there!"

~*~

Once he gets home, Mr Sparks goes through the list of geometric shapes. Angels always act with purpose - they lack the ability and creativity not to. If they had made these shapes, they had done so for a reason. All he had to do was find the reason. In his time on Earth he had done a lot to learn about occult practices and matrices - could it be connected?

He also goes through his suits and sets aside one for tomorrow. He doesn't have to pick one tailored to hide a slightly bulky vest; that's all of them. One could never be too careful. Mentally, he champions himself on choosing the place for lunch first. Not because of security reasons. It just had incredible food.

Occult (Occult Matrices): 5d10h8 2
Only 1 success if Occult Matrices doesn't apply

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Alicia / The Erel

"I can ask around, yeah," Alicia says. "Forensics might've picked up something that they wouldn't recognize. Even if that's not the case, someone else might've seen something." Angels. Alicia has mixed feelings on them, and she's still trying to separate that mixture into its exact components. It doesn't help that she's maintained an angelic contact--albeit one who may or may not be helpful in this investigation. Bringing the contact up is always a good way to make Mr. Sparks angry.

Meanwhile, Salt's flirtations finally earn a response--though probably not the one Salt was expecting. "What are you going to do when a woman finally takes you up on it?" She's seen the contrast between Salt and Aziz, and part of her wonders if he has any idea how the whole "human relationships" thing works. "But yes, we can go to the morgue. Don't call it a date, though. I'm not interested."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow

Liberty has a different concern for Brooklyn's call to Hunter than perhaps she was expecting. "Are you sure you're not calling him a little too much?" she asks, as they make their way through the city back to her block. "I mean, I've seen you texting him, and then there was even that one timeline, before I stepped in and interrupted you two..." This part is bullshit; Libby likes to make up a whole lot of fractured timelines she never actually rewound. "I mean I get you wanna check in, but I dunno how much space he wants. If it were me it'd be a bit much, y'know? Oh, yeah, and did you play that lovely Sonic game I linked you? Those MIDIs, girl." A strategic early shift of topic has also proven useful in managing Brooklyn.

They're met at Liberty's home by Maggie Ludd, who asks questions about "Brooklyn's band" and their instruments, and whom Libby dissuades from bidding on a vintage guitar on eBay. Jim comes home late and tired, and cooks some pasta with a garlic sauce and a heap of leftover bread from the restaurant he works at. Libby's little sister practices barbs about her friends at school and their Wrong Opinions. Through the middle of it, Libby finds time to duck into her room, hook up a usually-quarantined safe box, and send off the extended briefing details to a burner address for the rest of the ring.

"So I'm thinking we'll check out a shelter to start us off tomorrow," Libby says in a dialect of Spanish as she types the message out. "One near one of the drop-offs, just as a jumping off point and a bit of extra little-C cover, and we can find people and follow trails from there. Come ready to bug out in an emergency, or if you can't bug, we should get one of the stabby shooty guys to bring with us, because I can bug, but I can't cover you while you bug. Then we ask a few leading questions, smooth it over with an implanted idea or two, see what we can find out from the down-and-out crowd. We'll figure out where to go from there when we get some useful dirt, or if one of the others finds some or needs us for something else. You down?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Brooklyn/Ms. Curie

"I...you think I'm crowding him too much? I just don't want him to think..." Before I can get despondent, though, Libby's changed the subject. "Yeah, I played it--I'm not that good at that kind of game, though. Platformers aren't my thing." I let Libby keep the conversation going, but I'm still thinking about what she said.

"I'll be ready to bug, I guess, and I'm definitely down. You've got this one figured out, I think--I'll follow your lead on it."

I don't call Hunter, in the end. I do text him though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mr. Sparks gets out Google maps and starts placing lines along it, trying to make shapes. Geometric placement is often important in occult matrices.

It is too early to say what the effect will be simply based on the shapes. Occult geometry is a tool, but it is not a precise one. Each shape has so many potential uses. One thing is clear, however.

The deaths are forming something, at least. They are hard to track - several points are anomalous until Mr. Sparks has a sudden idea: multiple shapes. These deaths are not building a single geometrical effect. Rather, there is one square, or perhaps some other shape, forming and, he'd guess, another being started. The fifth point could be the beginning of any shape, but Sparks has a hunch it will be overlapping the square. There will be more deaths.

Snow, give me a Presence+Streetwise check. Brooklyn can teamwork it, making the roll as well and giving you bonus dice equal to her successes.

Erel, give me a Manip+Persuasion+Status (Police) roll. Success will get you the ME reports and also get Salt in. Tell me who you owe the favor to. If you fail, you still get the info and access, but tell me why you really, really wish you didn't owe this favor. Either of you can also make Int+Medicine or Int+Science rolls to study the corpses yourselves. I

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Brooklyn/Ms. Curie

I'm not sure how much help I am with Snow's plan of inquiring with the homeless. I can help a little, anyway, even if all I am is another friendly face...

[19:45] <skybot> MollyMetroid: presence (3) + streetwise (0, -1 unskilled): 10 (2d10=1, 9)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

It is not for a while until Mr. Mot receives the information. It comes to him when he is in the middle of prep-work for the dinner service, his focus as single-minded as ever. But he reads it in his allotted break, with a cup of tea - jasmin, steeped exactly four minutes, no sugar - and ponders what he is given. The geometry seems like a pattern, but somebody would already be figuring that one out. The deaths, however...Mr. Mot knows about death. The text that Snow receives a few moments later is short, and in Korean once again.

Let me know what Erel finds for causes of death, and other wounds. I need to know exactly how they died before I can speculate.

The cup of tea is emptied, and back to work he goes. The knife must create again. It will be a busy evening, as always.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow

The next afternoon, Libby hits the streets with Brooklyn in a Sachiel hoodie and a comfortable pair of sneakers. The first stop is a women's shelter where she makes up something about seeing an article on the internet and being moved just to show up and see if there's anything she can do. The meat of the trip, though, is getting to know anyone using any of the shelters they visit, and using current events (and a little bit of Muse) to lead the conversation to the recent predations and anybody who might know something, without directly bringing the subject up herself.

She spreads a little cash around in the process, partially to grease the wheels, but mostly out of guilt and sympathy. They could all use it, odds are, and it's the least she can do while faking a genuine interest in helping out.

Presence 2 + Streetwise 1 + teamwork 1 + spending Willpower for 3, success:
[16:40] <Iamjustabox> .roll 7d10
[16:40] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 31 (7d10=8, 4, 1, 4, 5, 1, 8)

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Alicia Morales / The Erel

Alicia heads to the station the next day. It doesn't go well.

Nobody is interested in talking. The other cops figure that the suspect is the perpetrator, and that once he gets sent to trial the whole thing will be over with. As she digs deeper into it, Alicia starts to get frustrated. Who does she know who has contacts with the ME? Who has those contacts, is willing to deal with the cops, and gives a poo poo about people being murdered?

After several fruitless hours, Alicia punches in a number. This is going to bite her in the rear end, but she's out of options.

First, rolling Legend to get ahold of 2 Status (Police) dots. Cover (Alicia Morales) is 7, so that's 5 dice.
[23:23.48] <Donut> .roll 5d10
[23:23.49] <skybot> Donut: 25 (5d10=10, 3, 6, 2, 4)
[23:23.56] <Donut> .roll 1d10
[23:23.57] <skybot> Donut: 9 (1d10=9)

The roll is successful, and I get both the Merit and the Imposter Condition.

2 Manipulation + 1 Presence + 2 Status (Police) totals to 5, and I'm dropping a Willpower on that to bring the pool to 8.

[23:32.14] <Donut> .roll 8d10
[23:32.15] <skybot> Donut: 34 (8d10=7, 7, 6, 2, 2, 1, 4, 5)

And since that went spectacularly pear-shaped: The person she owes the favor to is Sarah Wong, a reporter with a lot more contacts than her--except Sarah's also done investigative reporting on the NYPD's police brutality issues, and the veterans hate her. Word is going to get around quickly.

Edited to add:

Impostor
You’ve used Legend to cheat your way to the sort of thing that should come naturally to your Cover, and it’s left you feeling hollow. You suffer a –1 cumulative penalty each time you use Legend again until you resolve the Condition.
Resolution: Buy a dot in a Merit or Skill you impersonated using Legend. Resolving this Condition gives you a Cover Beat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Snow and Curie hit the streets, mingling with the homeless, the down and out and those that try to help them. It takes all day, talking to people. Snow learns several things that would make excellent think pieces about the state of life for the homeless, but little of use...at first. However, when Curie strikes up a chat with the young daughter of a woman at one of the shelters, a name comes up - Dark Eyes. Her mother hushes her quickly, telling her not to talk about silly stories.

Snow, however, follows up the name elsewhere. She brings up the name with a young man with some kind of mental issue - schizophrenia, possibly, or possibly something else. His reaction tells her a lot. He shrinks in on himself and begins to mutter, but he's still relatively lucid, having been given meds recently by the shelter staff. After a few minutes, he shakes his head. "Dark Eyes...Dark Eyes sings under the streets. Dark Eyes sings with the trains and the sewers...you can learn the song. Learn the song and sing it with Dark Eyes. Dark Eyes will come. Maggy told me. Dark Eyes gave her things. But she didn't ask the price. Price is too high. Too high. Now she's gone. Asked too much. Sang too much."

Unfortunately, a description of Dark Eyes is beyond the man, except to say that his eyes are all black, shiny like a bug's, and he's tall and thin. The man knows nothing else - he never stuck around to see Dark Eyes.

Meanwhile...

With Sarah Wong's help, meanwhile, the Erel obtains a number of ME reports. It's not going to be easy for her at work after this...but hey, that's a problem for Future Erel. The ME noted cause of death in each case to be blood loss in each case. The wounds were not all in the same locations - neck, wrist, chest. The blades used were straight and sharp in each case. The ME also noted something strange in all of the bodies, however, though she didn't connect the dots on the different cases. All of the bodies show signs of extended deprivation - hunger, thirst, muscular wasting. The exact signs vary somewhat between the corpses, but there's no explanation for it. While it might be explicable in the homeless victims, the nun and social worker show signs of it as well - in fact, the social worker's case was the most advanced, despite the fact that she was apparently well-off and healthy in other respects. There were also signs of organ damage in all of the corpses. The ME believed it was the result of animals getting at the bodies, consistent with a few signs of rat activity. However, the consistent loss of small chunks of the liver, heart, brain and spleen in all of the corpses is strange.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow

"Dark Eyes sings? What kind of song does he sing?" Liberty keeps her tone even and sympathetic, disguising her willingness to take the young man at his word with the appearance of just trying to be patient and make sense out of delusions. "Are we talking about the kind of song that's on the radio, or a different kind of song? Who else sings to Dark Eyes?" He sounds like bad news; Libby compliments the young man on his decision to stay clear of whatever Dark Eyes is, trying to calm him down with the implication that she's not going to drag him any further into this business.

"Good catch," she tells Brooklyn on the street outside. "It's a start. It's a lead. You wanna text people around and get us coordinated for lunch? Find out what E's got, figure out who should poke their heads out where." She lingers around the subway entrance, looking over the area, and more than looking, listening. She's used to tuning out noise around herself constantly, strangers on cell phones and Starbucks wi-fi, but for now, it's worth keeping an ear open, in case she can hear any hint of something wafting from below, something that might be Dark Eyes.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Brooklyn/Ms. Curie

"Sure, on it."

I pull out my phone and text everyone--numbers from memory, not stored contacts--"Lunch? Korean? Y/N"

It's simple, but it should tell everyone what they need to know for meeting up...

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

Be there at noon. We'll have 90 minutes.

Mr. Mot has hosted the ring before, but to avoid unwanted questions, he generally keeps the restaurant closed when they have a lunch meeting in the restaurant, and he lets them eat in the back, where he can talk to them from the kitchen while he creates. He starts cooking at 11 AM, after he finishes his morning tea and the inventory, beginning the prep with a slow, deliberate pace. He could go faster, but there's no rush. It's no dinner service. His eyes are locked on his knife at all times, watching the every single perfectly-made cut and slide. Creation through destruction. This is what he lives for. This is what he does - what he is. The knife, the creator. It fills him with a satisfaction he is unable to express through words; only through his creations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

My Sparks gives the phone the most irritated look he can. Didn't he already say the place in Har - oh, whatever.

[ Sure. BUT NEXT TIME, WE GO TO THE PLACE IN HARLEM. ]

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Once she's gotten the chance to get the reports--with Salt in tow, presumably--Alicia studies them, committing every detail to memory. The text arrives once she's back at home, with the entire coroner's log safely tucked in a manilla folder on her desk.

A Castiel bobblehead sits atop the folder, as if standing guard.

Y, Alicia texts back. She knows what this means. She will, of course, bring the files.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Restaurant

The Korean restaurant Mr. Mot works at is quite nice. You have gotten a private booth to discuss details.

The information you have put together is summarized thusly:

1. The deaths are forming patterns. There's a square already, and one point that will probably begin a new shape. More deaths are coming. The square is centered over a large swath of the district, but with a subway map you can determine a few tunnel entrances that'd be easiest to get to the body drops.

2. In the subway tunnels, there is someone or something named Dark Eyes, who sings a song and will come if you sing the song. Dark Eyes gives things at a price, whatever that means. One of the victims spoke to Dark Eyes. The song, according to the man who told Snow about it, is not like normal singing. It is the song that trains sing. ...whatever that means.

3. All of the victims suffered varying forms of malnutrition or degenerative wasting as well as chunks apparently removed from the organs. It is unclear if the removal was pre- or post-mortem.

You have as much as you're going to get without getting your hands dirty somehow. What are your plans?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2016 around 21:37

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow

Liberty Ludd rests her cheek on a fist, elbow on the table, looking over whatever visual representation Mr. Sparks has prepared to explain the occult geometry of the killings.

"Okay. That's probably useful information if we can parse it, but the question is, do any of us know how to parse it? What does that actually tell us about the matrix? If it even is a matrix and not something else, I guess."

She slides over a glass of Diet Coke with a straw and sips from it for a bit. "I think I can lure this Dark Eyes out. I have an idea, anyway. I don't know how it fits with transients being able to summon Dark Eyes, but maybe we're not talking about your average transients. But urban infrastructure is a tune I can carry. I'm pretty sure I can hit the right note if I noodle around. The question is, what do we do with that? Are we still on fact-finding? Do we plan an ambush and sackbeat him?"

She waves a finger between Mot and the Erel. "What about the autopsy report? What can you tell us from this, Mot?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

Mr. Mot chews his food in complete silence, staring at the information presented to him. There is an eerie stillness to him, as if the jaw is the only part of him that can move. When he speaks, however, it is with clear intent in his voice. "The decay suggests torture through deprivation. Possibly self-inflicted due to magical compulsion. Blood loss as cause of death, combined with such decay, suggests a desire to inflict suffering before death. They were likely in extreme pain over an extended period. The organ sections missing is...interesting. Not quite sure why the killer only took bits. If they took whole organs, that would make more sense. Trophies, or more offerings, or simply for food. Why there are only chunks missing are beyond me." He falls silent for another long while, continuing to eat, before speaking up again.

"With the patterns of the death, a ritualized killing seems the obvious guess. The victims suffer, with their pain and perhaps their life-energy itself being sapped to fuel...something. Our eternal ever-watching nemesis, perhaps. Hopefully something less sinister. But the killing is a step in a process, not a goal." He waves with his chopsticks, pointing at the map of the patterns. "I suggest we find Dark Eyes and eliminate them directly. Confirmation for the client doesn't require a live perpetrator, and the project would be destroyed if there is no ritualist to carry it out. Agreed?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

"Agreed on finding." Sparks eats his food with gusto, speaking between mouthfuls. "But we can't be sure this Dark Eyes is our perp. We meet and greet first. Start cold, escalate to hot if needed. Come packed, but keep them in holsters until we're sure. And lets be honest - gives things at a price? That could describe almost anything. It even describes us. No, better to know who or what it is then just eliminate it - after all, it could lead us TO our target rather then BE our target."

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

The Erel gave Mot the manilla folder at the beginning of the meal, allowing him time to look over and process its contents. She sits next to Snow, drinking a beer in between bites of bulgogi. She is uncertain whether or not she wants to get another once she's finished with this one.

"Aside from what we got from the transients, Dark Eyes is not a known quantity. If we're going to deal with him, we need contingencies in place." The Erel glances over at Sparks, and nods, once. "And I think you just volunteered to handle them. I can assist, of course, but some of my prior experience is no longer applicable, and what I remember might not apply in this case." The Erel finishes off her beer, and sets the empty bottle down. "I mean, he sounds like a former colleague, but stranger things have happened."

"As for the organ damage, well, I have someone who might be able to help, but he's best kept in reserve as a last resort. In these circumstances."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, looks like we're going to head into the subway now to meet with Dark Eyes! You guys have until tomorrow or so to tell me any plans you want to put in place for your trip.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Snow

Snow depends on Mr. Sparks to provide a gun and holster – "My parents aren't libertarian enough for me to just grab one around the house, you know?" She brings map printouts with her the following afternoon, while working a part-time shift at her grandfather's watch repair shop, and lays out the occult geometry that Sparks has identified for him. "Anything you recognize, grampa?" she asks, while fetching him a cup of tea. "The sacrifices line up with people who may have contacted a messenger - we're not sure yet whether we're talking big-M or little-M messenger - around the subway lines. We don't know what the output's angling for. Technically I don't think we even know if Management's got its fingers on this one or not yet."

Calling on Mentor for the session: Automatic two successes on an Occult action to work off and contextualize what Sparks figured out.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Park Jeong-Min | Mr. Mot

At the end of lunch

Mr. Mot acquiesces to Mr. Sparks' argument. "Fine. Escalation if necessary. But if we talk first, we choose the meeting place. Liberty can do the song, Brooklyn can do the walk and talk. I stay in the shadows. You too, probably? Alicia and Aziz can run interference outside, keep people from going in, can rush in if things go south. Just in case. If this is upstairs, we need the upper hand. Badly." He doesn't think about what happens if they fail. As long as the time and place is right, a knife never fails to strike. To cut that what needs to be cut. He has never failed before. Won't now. Still, meeting a fellow is never an easy task. You never know what they have up their sleeves.

The remainder of the day.

Jeong-Min decides to practice knife-work while they wait. It's not really practice, mind. Cutting vegetables and meat isn't the same thing as running the knife through an artery, or a tendon. But the smooth, repetitive motions help him prepare nonetheless. There's a comfort in it, for him. And besides, it would hardly do for him to abandon the prep-work for the dinner-rush. So he cuts, and he cuts, again and again, finding focus. His job was to cut. There was nothing else.

If we summon Dark Eyes, let's make sure we have the upper hand. I can run Ambush on the place before we actually summon him, put me and one other outside of DE's awareness. Erel, as police, makes most sense for keeping the place clear of curious cats, and Curie is the obvious choice for the negotiator. Any other Embeds to help give us some advantages in this case could be useful but I don't know what everyone has that might work in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Heya, folks! We will be transitioning to Discord. I'll get it properly set up over the week and we can transition sheets and such over there, and gameplay will remain asynchronous - just with Discord instead of board posts. As I suspect y'all are aware, SA is not the friendliest environment these days.

• Locked thread