Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Central Park

Mister Temple rarely meets the ring in person, and this time is no different. The dead drop is near the Alice statue in Central Park. Dead drops, really - one for each member of the ring - but what is in them is identical. A manila folder full of paper, written in an obscure Portuguese dialect and decorated with entirely innocuous pictures from a children's book. Obviously this is no trouble for any of you to read. The drops also contain prepaid cell phones, though you likely have several of those already.

New contracts are here. Discuss them and get back to me on which one you want to take. Text the contract's number to 254-11 and I will provide fuller details. Use that number for no other purpose.

Mr. Temple has preferred this kind of contact - he's a paranoid Inquisitor, never happy unless he's behind several smokescreens. Still, this part of Central Park is nice and quiet, with several benches and chess tables that could be used to discuss the potential jobs. Mister Temple has found three.

1: Wall Street Worship

A client within Patterson, Lilith and Sloane would like certain data held in a Wall Street trader's office. Data is of a non-financial occult nature, related to a suspected cult within the trading floor. Client would like to confirm or deny existence of this cult and, if it exists, gain information on its leadership to suborn or destroy them if necessary. The cult is believed to exist and to be attempting to manipulate futures trading to some unknown end. Possible G-M involvement but unconfirmed. Client is offering payment in the form of secured contracts for ownership of a pet and/or a job in a financial firm, held in escrow until job is finished.

2: The Mole People

A client has approached through a broker with Zero-Sec. Client is concerned by the deaths of several members of the Manhattan homeless population. All deaths tied to the Mole People, the indigent population that lives in the subway tunnels. Client suspects angelic intervention in relation to these deaths, would like confirmation. Options for continued employment if a project is discovered and needs to be destroyed. Client is offering payment in the form of future favors of an unspecified but nonviolent nature, optionally secured by collateral.

3: Danger in the Zoo

A client with Tenth Street has reported a series of crimes they think are related but which they would prefer the police not deal with. A series of thefts within the Central Park Zoo and certain pet stores and feed stocks of various animal products. The client believes these items to be potentially useful in occult ritual and assures us that the G-M is not involved. The client would like to know who is and, if possible, recruit their services - by blackmail if necessary. The client believes the target is armed and dangerous. Client is offering payment in the form of expunging of New York police records in the future (or now, if required).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The text is sent. There is no response for several minutes. Then, an old woman wearing a straw hat with flowers in it wanders in from elsewhere in the park, walking a small and equally elderly dog. She wanders over to the statue for a moment, and places a flower from her hat on the statue. She wanders away just as quickly. A text arrives back.

Take the flower.

Once checked, it reveals a USB stick attached to it. The woman must have been a Cover, albeit not one you've seen before.

On the USB stick is more details.

Client wishes to remain anonymous but works as a city ME. However, list of known deaths is:

Sarah Kurovec, social worker
Margaret "Maggy Red" Cole, homeless
Jane Doe #1, AKA "Sister Shotgun", homeless
Jane Doe #2, AKA "Blind Beatrice". homeless
Sister Caroline Mathers, nun

Please find attached a subway map with all of the body drop locations marked. Bodies are currently in the city morgue, with one exception. Sarah Kurovec has been released from city custody to her son, who is preparing for the funeral in two days. He is not considered a suspect in her murder. All five deaths are considered murders. Sarah's is believed solved; a homeless man was arrested after being found over her with a knife. Client is certain he is not the killer. His name is Jake Ramsey, former Army Corporal. He is currently awaiting trial in the Manhattan Detention Complex.

Client's reason for suspecting an angel is based on evidence found at each scene, disregarded by police. In each location, blood was left in geometrically significant shapes. Sarah: perfect sphere. Margaret: equilateral triangle. Sister Shotgun: perfect square. Blind Beatrice: circle again. Sister Caroline: triangle again. Blood shapes were ignored by police due to being concealed by large quantities of blood, but were noted by client at the scene.

Please send further questions to this address, which will go dead in 24 hours.

And, attached as promised, are the map and a new texting address.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mr. Sparks gets out Google maps and starts placing lines along it, trying to make shapes. Geometric placement is often important in occult matrices.

It is too early to say what the effect will be simply based on the shapes. Occult geometry is a tool, but it is not a precise one. Each shape has so many potential uses. One thing is clear, however.

The deaths are forming something, at least. They are hard to track - several points are anomalous until Mr. Sparks has a sudden idea: multiple shapes. These deaths are not building a single geometrical effect. Rather, there is one square, or perhaps some other shape, forming and, he'd guess, another being started. The fifth point could be the beginning of any shape, but Sparks has a hunch it will be overlapping the square. There will be more deaths.

Snow, give me a Presence+Streetwise check. Brooklyn can teamwork it, making the roll as well and giving you bonus dice equal to her successes.

Erel, give me a Manip+Persuasion+Status (Police) roll. Success will get you the ME reports and also get Salt in. Tell me who you owe the favor to. If you fail, you still get the info and access, but tell me why you really, really wish you didn't owe this favor. Either of you can also make Int+Medicine or Int+Science rolls to study the corpses yourselves. I

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Snow and Curie hit the streets, mingling with the homeless, the down and out and those that try to help them. It takes all day, talking to people. Snow learns several things that would make excellent think pieces about the state of life for the homeless, but little of use...at first. However, when Curie strikes up a chat with the young daughter of a woman at one of the shelters, a name comes up - Dark Eyes. Her mother hushes her quickly, telling her not to talk about silly stories.

Snow, however, follows up the name elsewhere. She brings up the name with a young man with some kind of mental issue - schizophrenia, possibly, or possibly something else. His reaction tells her a lot. He shrinks in on himself and begins to mutter, but he's still relatively lucid, having been given meds recently by the shelter staff. After a few minutes, he shakes his head. "Dark Eyes...Dark Eyes sings under the streets. Dark Eyes sings with the trains and the sewers...you can learn the song. Learn the song and sing it with Dark Eyes. Dark Eyes will come. Maggy told me. Dark Eyes gave her things. But she didn't ask the price. Price is too high. Too high. Now she's gone. Asked too much. Sang too much."

Unfortunately, a description of Dark Eyes is beyond the man, except to say that his eyes are all black, shiny like a bug's, and he's tall and thin. The man knows nothing else - he never stuck around to see Dark Eyes.

Meanwhile...

With Sarah Wong's help, meanwhile, the Erel obtains a number of ME reports. It's not going to be easy for her at work after this...but hey, that's a problem for Future Erel. The ME noted cause of death in each case to be blood loss in each case. The wounds were not all in the same locations - neck, wrist, chest. The blades used were straight and sharp in each case. The ME also noted something strange in all of the bodies, however, though she didn't connect the dots on the different cases. All of the bodies show signs of extended deprivation - hunger, thirst, muscular wasting. The exact signs vary somewhat between the corpses, but there's no explanation for it. While it might be explicable in the homeless victims, the nun and social worker show signs of it as well - in fact, the social worker's case was the most advanced, despite the fact that she was apparently well-off and healthy in other respects. There were also signs of organ damage in all of the corpses. The ME believed it was the result of animals getting at the bodies, consistent with a few signs of rat activity. However, the consistent loss of small chunks of the liver, heart, brain and spleen in all of the corpses is strange.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Restaurant

The Korean restaurant Mr. Mot works at is quite nice. You have gotten a private booth to discuss details.

The information you have put together is summarized thusly:

1. The deaths are forming patterns. There's a square already, and one point that will probably begin a new shape. More deaths are coming. The square is centered over a large swath of the district, but with a subway map you can determine a few tunnel entrances that'd be easiest to get to the body drops.

2. In the subway tunnels, there is someone or something named Dark Eyes, who sings a song and will come if you sing the song. Dark Eyes gives things at a price, whatever that means. One of the victims spoke to Dark Eyes. The song, according to the man who told Snow about it, is not like normal singing. It is the song that trains sing. ...whatever that means.

3. All of the victims suffered varying forms of malnutrition or degenerative wasting as well as chunks apparently removed from the organs. It is unclear if the removal was pre- or post-mortem.

You have as much as you're going to get without getting your hands dirty somehow. What are your plans?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 9, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, looks like we're going to head into the subway now to meet with Dark Eyes! You guys have until tomorrow or so to tell me any plans you want to put in place for your trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Heya, folks! We will be transitioning to Discord. I'll get it properly set up over the week and we can transition sheets and such over there, and gameplay will remain asynchronous - just with Discord instead of board posts. As I suspect y'all are aware, SA is not the friendliest environment these days.

• Locked thread