Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

JakeP posted:

nice OP, I got a blow job of CL last week
his name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

notZaar posted:

Just a few weeks ago I walked out of Goodwill with a perfectly functional and clean cable modem/wifi router and a network switch. And it cost me $15.

I do a goodwill/big thrift circuit in my city every weekend. The stuff you find there is crazy

$200 CH rudder pedal set in perfect condition for $4

$200 CH fighter stick in box for $10

Mattel Aquarius in box in perfect condition for $8

Original Sound Blaster complete in box for $3

You don't strike gold every time but I mainly just look for older computer hardware and games and I've found enough awesome stuff to keep going

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

People who go flip Goodwill to resell on Ebay at retail value are loving assholes and I would say it to their face. Especially those people with that book barcode scanner app that tells them the value instantly.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have not heard about the desk. What's a good cheap Windows computer to put on my desktop? I already have a Mac for fun. Need a desktop for serious stuff.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I found a brand new Cleveland Wedge (golf club) with the $150 sticker still on it and bought it for $15 at a Good Will. I sold it to a friend for $30 (his insistence ) because he's a lot better at golf and it wouldn't make a difference what brand wedge I use.

That's my Good Will story, both literally and figuratively. Thanks for reading.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

hth posted:

what did it smell like

Mold or something, it didn't have that smell initially. Never buying used furniture again; I was right out of undergrad back then and poor. Apartment was totally unfurnished, no furniture is better than stinky furniture.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
best deal in desks is to go to ikea and buy those Galant frames, but then cut a top out of a piece of nice $40 plywood from home depot, instead of paying 200 dollars for the lovely fiberboard table tops they sell there

the frames are dirt cheap, well made and solid, they profit off the lovely table tops

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I found a brand new Cleveland Wedge (golf club) with the $150 sticker still on it and bought it for $15 at a Good Will. I sold it to a friend for $30 (his insistence ) because he's a lot better at golf and it wouldn't make a difference what brand wedge I use.

That's my Good Will story, both literally and figuratively. Thanks for reading.

i got an xbox 360 for 5 bucks and a wii with a box full of accessories for 15

Jackfruited Stormtrooper
Feb 15, 2007

master of his domain
I did some community service at a goodwill in a fairly affluent area of town, and while the clothes we put out were very nice it was insane the amount of junk we had that couldn't go on the floor sitting in storage waiting to be shipped off to some place that buys junk in bulk. Basically if you ever want to get rid of anything ever just drop it off at goodwill and they can't deny it. Old oil, batteries, medical waste, whatever

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

white chris rock posted:

I did some community service at a goodwill in a fairly affluent area of town, and while the clothes we put out were very nice it was insane the amount of junk we had that couldn't go on the floor sitting in storage waiting to be shipped off to some place that buys junk in bulk. Basically if you ever want to get rid of anything ever just drop it off at goodwill and they can't deny it. Old oil, batteries, medical waste, whatever

I just hide that stuff in my normal trash. :grin:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

People who go flip Goodwill to resell on Ebay at retail value are loving assholes and I would say it to their face. Especially those people with that book barcode scanner app that tells them the value instantly.

try going to a Goodwill Outlet store. It's the loving worst. Giant tubs of filthy poo poo that people who've been squatting in the store for 12 hours dump into their carts to sift through while threatening to knife anyone who touches their loot

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Justin Tyme posted:

Especially those people with that book barcode scanner app that tells them the value instantly.

:ssh: Let them be, they skip right over signed first editions because the books generally lack barcodes and the people scanning generally lack knowledge/taste.

OP, you'll be fine, just generally avoid any furniture with fabrics. If goon advice re: used furniture was accurate, all of the pieces in the auctions below would have been tossed in a bonfire:

https://www.stickley.com/lastingvalue/

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kuato posted:

Mold or something, it didn't have that smell initially. Never buying used furniture again; I was right out of undergrad back then and poor. Apartment was totally unfurnished, no furniture is better than stinky furniture.

I once bought a couch from a used furniture store. It looked clean and it didn't smell or anything, and it was really cheap. I opened it up and made a quick (too quick lol) inspection of the fold out mattress, and it all seemed fine. But after the grumpy store worker dudes moved it into my apartment, I noticed a bunch of rat poo poo on my floor. So I opened the fold-out mattress again, and a bunch of rat poo poo fell out. Then I flipped the mattress over and even more rat poo poo fell out. And the bottom of the mattress was also covered in giant blood stains. Also the dudes dropped a bookshelf i had bought, breaking it. Got a refund on the shelf and the couch, and now i'm scared of used couches.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
used couches and mattresses are a huuuuuge gamble

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
In a rare stroke of craigslist people not flaking out, the first person i texted to pick this poo poo up not only responded to me instantly at 645am but actually showed up when they said they would. They also sent a text that they might be a few minutes late. I think i used up my karma in getting such a good non-flaky person.

Also the dude's name was "Tank". Thought I should throw that in there, too. My impression of people named "Tank" (sample size of one) is that they are pretty cool. His friend/relative that came with him was barefoot though so maybe he's a black sheep?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

notZaar posted:

What are the spiders made of?

it's spiders all the way down

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

enjoy your murder and/or rape op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

goodwill is a corporation, not a charity. they get their merchandise via donations and then sell it for money. the junk that can't be sold is recycled.

• Locked thread