Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Malaclypse posted:

Your best bet for having a good time your first burn is to hook up with an established theme camp with a modest concept and reasonable dues.

could you elaborate on this a little bit more please

what is reasonable, as far as the dues are concerned?

Malaclypse posted:

basically think of going to BM as a vacation to another city, factor in that you will have to spend near zero dollars while there (2 bux for a bag of ice or a cup of coffee in center camp) and its really affordable

i mean... presumably you are eating food and smoking weed and whatever for that week. it's gotta come from somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell

Moridin920 posted:

could you elaborate on this a little bit more please

what is reasonable, as far as the dues are concerned?

i mean... presumably you are eating food and smoking weed and whatever for that week. it's gotta come from somewhere?

my camp for 6 of my 9 years was The Pancake Playhouse, where we served pancakes every morning out of an army GP tent. our dues were like $75 bux iirc. if youre going with a camp thats gonna need to rent a semi truck and is planning to have communal meals every day your dues could be as much as $500. there are also varying amounts of sweat equity involved both on and off playa.

fair point about needing to bring everything youre gonna want to eat and all the Other Things youre gonna want to ingest. i used to spend about anywhere from $150 for both (laaaame) all the way up to living like a prince where i spent like 5 hundo. still i never spent more than a grand all told and thats pretty reasonable for a vacation.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Burning man is both an intrinsic part of Silicon Valley and a DJ party in the desert. It’s a place where folks are free to run around in sparkles and spandex and leather and nothing, covered in dust. A place for rich people to party and nude hippies to dance around the fire. But most of all it’s an experimental prototype for human technological possibility in the middle of nowhere that stands on the principle of radical acceptance of everyone.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

WhyteRyce posted:

Burning man is both an intrinsic part of Silicon Valley and a DJ party in the desert. It’s a place where folks are free to run around in sparkles and spandex and leather and nothing, covered in dust. A place for rich people to party and nude hippies to dance around the fire. But most of all it’s an experimental prototype for human technological possibility in the middle of nowhere that stands on the principle of radical acceptance of everyone.

As long as you aren't a disgusting poor.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Cyberpope v2 posted:

As long as you aren't a disgusting poor.

the poors are allowed to be the bottoms at the orgy dome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I want a statistician to tell me how many Silicon Valley relationships fall apart cause of the ORGY DOME

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

no its not shut up nerd

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

and put your GOD drat PANTS ON DONALD!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BLARGHLE posted:

I wasn't on board before, but I totally am now

A lot of people seem to get the mentality that well, people are having sex, and well that is wrong in their Christian/military mindset where all sex is condoned by the state, so they might as well assault and rape people to do the work of God and stop people from having ownership of their own bodies and faculties.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

A lot of people seem to get the mentality that well, people are having sex, and well that is wrong in their Christian/military mindset where all sex is condoned by the state, so they might as well assault and rape people to do the work of God and stop people from having ownership of their own bodies and faculties.

What in the blue gently caress does that have to do with random old dudes walking around naked?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

In '97 the Danger Labs dudes would throw you into the back of a tricked out Model T, then drive you around at breakneck speeds while you took the heads off mannequins with a 12 guage. It was free-ish. There were still orgies.

I think I went in '99 too, but they took the shotguns away and never went back.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
doesnt look like this was posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVBHRD5lNU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
Call in an airstrike

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BLARGHLE posted:

What in the blue gently caress does that have to do with random old dudes walking around naked?

I don't know, all I know is if I speak to a woman who is not in the military, flirting or not, the immediate reaction is for several people to approach me demanding that same interaction. If I don't acquiesce, the consequences are as follows:

A) party threatens violence and humiliation for non-interaction
B) party threatens to call police for protest
C) Party attacks vital resources and kidnaps me in order to get those resources back
D) party gets an instant extrajudicial ruling of antisocial behavior and releases sedating base chemicals in the air or through transdermal contact

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

I don't know, all I know is if I speak to a woman who is not in the military, flirting or not, the immediate reaction is for several people to approach me demanding that same interaction. If I don't acquiesce, the consequences are as follows:

C) Party attacks vital resources and kidnaps me in order to get those resources back
D) party gets an instant extrajudicial ruling of antisocial behavior and releases sedating base chemicals in the air or through transdermal contact

This can't be Dare, because the regdate is too old.

What is going on here?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what the hell are you talking about, you lunatic

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Y-Hat posted:

Are, are you a werewolf hunter too? :wookie:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Y-Hat posted:

I don't think a satisfactory answer will be coming.

I was right!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BLARGHLE posted:

I don't think a satisfactory answer will be coming.

I was right!

You can just tell me what you want me to say so I don't have to guess, then you don't have to get so angry. :kiddo:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

please take your meds

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Y-Hat posted:

please take your meds

Oh poo poo yeah I didn't even notice I wasn't on a martini. :shrug:

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where is the cam of the orgy?

naem
May 29, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I want a statistician to tell me how many Silicon Valley relationships fall apart cause of the ORGY DOME

OG Silicon Valley guys are ripe for their first divorce, an aspiring young trophy wife could plan a strategic separation by filming him in the orgy tent BOOM half of all assets

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

There are a bunch of other festivals around the northwest and probably other places that seem a lot more reasonable, people-wise. I've never been to any, but I've known a lot of people that go to Autonomous Mutant Fest. They schedule it at the same time as the rainbow gathering so as to keep the lovely hippies out, so that's a good start.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cowboy Pope posted:

There are a bunch of other festivals around the northwest and probably other places that seem a lot more reasonable, people-wise. I've never been to any, but I've known a lot of people that go to Autonomous Mutant Fest. They schedule it at the same time as the rainbow gathering so as to keep the lovely hippies out, so that's a good start.

Apparantly armed park rangers have been threatening people at those more recently.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
europe does these things better anyway, sorry

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This can be a good time, helps if you don't spite-post from basement. I hope you find fulfilling avenues for your life rather than shitposting on this one, 'cause it can be a nice time.

naem
May 29, 2011

Something about me says "burning man" to people, the last couple years I've been met with a shocked "you aren't at burning man this year??" Even from people I don't know that well.

Also in the last five years I've watched San Francisco go from "burning man in the streets all day every day burn out gen x alternative trust fund EXTREEEEEME under cut waxed mustache lumberjack beard horn rim glasses piercing" to "well off dull snobs some of whom wear a hoodie or have a tattoo visible getting their Benz valet parked" and I don't much like any of it

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
every city that's even remotely good is going through that same transformation more or less, and it's not going to change back for at least two generations :cheers: ain't life grand

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's true, every city in the world that has a semblance of culture are becoming cookie-cutter Dubais. SF, Manhattan, Vancouver, London, Barcelona, Paris, and Berlin are now just ways for Russian oligarchs, Chinese people who want to spoil their kid, Arab oil barons, and Indian hucksters to park their money

naem posted:

Also in the last five years I've watched San Francisco go from "burning man in the streets all day every day burn out gen x alternative trust fund EXTREEEEEME under cut waxed mustache lumberjack beard horn rim glasses piercing" to "well off dull snobs some of whom wear a hoodie or have a tattoo visible getting their Benz valet parked" and I don't much like any of it
as it turns out, it wasn't the heathen AIDS-ridden gays that made San Francisco Sodom, but the meatheads who went into tech because they figured that Wall Street wouldn't pay them enough. go figure

naem
May 29, 2011

It's still dorks here pretty much

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Y-Hat posted:

it's true, every city in the world that has a semblance of culture are becoming cookie-cutter Dubais. SF, Manhattan, Vancouver, London, Barcelona, Paris, and Berlin are now just ways for Russian oligarchs, Chinese people who want to spoil their kid, Arab oil barons, and Indian hucksters to park their money

as it turns out, it wasn't the heathen AIDS-ridden gays that made San Francisco Sodom, but the meatheads who went into tech because they figured that Wall Street wouldn't pay them enough. go figure

Used to be all prostitutes and sailors. Now it's all prostitutes and sailors.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i mention Vancouver and five minutes later i see this article talking about the housing market plunging there. can't wait for this to be repeated everywhere

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

i mention Vancouver and five minutes later i see this article talking about the housing market plunging there. can't wait for this to be repeated everywhere

this isn't necessarily a bad thing you know

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poo poo's still over $1 mil a home so like gently caress we should care

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

proof of concept posted:

it all depends on how far the market falls and whether it negatively affects the people who can't afford these big ugly condos

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I once met a Finnish-American dude who worked to launch Burning Man as a thing in China lol.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to be gangbanged. fml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

proof of concept posted:

That is a very good thing., actually.