Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ork of Fiction posted:

MtF. So now it's Chick Yen Little.

You get a smirk and a roll of the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I lust for the great unemployment line.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Robot Pride posted:

I don't know how anyone gets bored on unemployment other than you have no real passions in life. Even with no job I have so much to do that I enjoy from reading, drawing, working out, computering, musicing, etc that I can't fit it all in each day and could easily fill every second of the rest of my life completely content in my own personal pursuits.

For real. I do contract work and often have weeks/months of free time and I never get sick of it. It's only annoying because all my friends have normal jobs now or kids so I have to make new retired dude friends if I want someone to go fishing with. Last summer I had like three months off work and it was like the most incredible time of my life. I smoked dope, went fishing, played videogames, cooked elaborate meals, napped on the rug next to the dog, sat on the beach smoking cigars, and was just really chill for weeks. It was amazing because I wasn't rushed or felt pressured to have "maximum fun" like a normal vacation, so if I woke up at 11am and decided to spend he day in bed reading and jerking off there was no guilt as I still had like 45 more days of freedom left.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

A few weeks ago a college friend was in town and when I said I worked from home they were like "Oh, are you a writer?"

The thought that someone I went to school with and who knew me pretty well at the time thought I could be making my living as a writer made me feel both happy and sad. I'm thinking maybe I should just quit my job and start writing every day and just keep sending poo poo to people until it sticks!!

Then if I fail, we're back to the murdering billionaires/suicide.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

A few weeks ago a college friend was in town and when I said I worked from home they were like "Oh, are you a writer?"

The thought that someone I went to school with and who knew me pretty well at the time thought I could be making my living as a writer made me feel both happy and sad. I'm thinking maybe I should just quit my job and start writing every day and just keep sending poo poo to people until it sticks!!

Try applying for magazines.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

OctoberBlues posted:

Well at least he didn't say "retard masturbator"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Unemployment rules, especially when you sue your former employer for wrongful termination, win, and get a sweet settlement that finances a solid year off and getting a second degree in a field where you don't want to kill yourself daily. :smug:

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Nostratic posted:

Unemployment rules, especially when you sue your former employer for wrongful termination, win, and get a sweet settlement that finances a solid year off and getting a second degree in a field where you don't want to kill yourself daily. :smug:

That sounds a lot like work to me, narc.

y troll
Aug 31, 2016

by Lowtax

OctoberBlues posted:

building a portfolio works wonders if you arent lazy

Alvie
May 22, 2008

All you baldheads should go back to GIP or the working hard subforum or whatever. I'm just trying to catch some rays in this sweet thread and you're harshing my mellow.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

OctoberBlues posted:

I started writing and building a portfolio while I've had time off from work. It's great! If you do some writing for professional / field stuff, you can send future employers your work as well, so even if you aren't being published it can really help in the future.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

ddiddles posted:

Now i'm teaching myself web development and will probably move to Portland or something at the end of this year.

don't do this...don't do some code bootcamp poo poo and become another terrible stereotype that shits up the IT/programming field

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm thinking maybe I should just quit my job and start writing every day and just keep sending poo poo to people until it sticks!!

"The Bukowski Plan"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nostratic posted:

I've had sex fantasies about this except for the going back to work part

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
this morning i had my interview with the unemployment office to get my benefits going and it was surprisingly stressful

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you losers should try being a successful freelancer :frogc00l:

fist4jesus posted:

My friend dosent like to work. Along with his other scams he jerks people off in parks for $20 a go. Makes more than i do as its tax free and had heaps of free time.

thats what im talking about!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
re: Japan

It's pretty easy to find a job when employers are scrambling to hire any warm body at all to do their worthless office jobs due to the population being so old that everyone is retiring or dying faster than you can replace them

It's pretty funny

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

fist4jesus posted:

My friend dosent like to work. Along with his other scams he jerks people off in parks for $20 a go. Makes more than i do as its tax free and had heaps of free time.

That's great and all, but what do you do till you build the clientele?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

OctoberBlues posted:

I had a similar situation happen to me when I was hanging it with on old friend of mine. I was flipping through her old sketchbooks and in the middle of one of them was bunch of stuff that she obviously didn't draw because the style was all wrong, but were really loving good. I asked her who drew them expecting her to say, "Oh that was *random art geek we hung out with* they do animation for *such and such* now." Instead she just gave me a weird a look and said, "You did."

If I had a gun it would have gone straight into my mouth.

Now a days I just want the free time to myself to finish something I can be proud of. I don't even really care if no one else ever sees it.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I'm thinking of a career in the bustling industry of data science and human factors engineering

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the great deceiver posted:

this morning i had my interview with the unemployment office to get my benefits going and it was surprisingly stressful

The interviewer's job is to trip you up so you say something that can disqualify you.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

eric posted:

The interviewer's job is to trip you up so you say something that can disqualify you.

yeah that's the vibe i got. also she was convinced that i had been laid off from the school district despite me never having worked for any school district anywhere.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

yeah that's the vibe i got. also she was convinced that i had been laid off from the school district despite me never having worked for any school district anywhere.

how is that even possible

like how can someone get that information from what you told them

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Teikanmi posted:

If you don't explain the difference between getting asked to leave the girl's locker room and getting fired for being in the girls locker room well enough.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You don't remember working for the school district? You used to tell us all about it. :confused:

puppet pal mitch
Oct 23, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

Lmao what could you possibly be doing that stresses you out so much your life sucks, but you do it from home? Unless it's incall prostitution no one is even there in person to yell at you when you gently caress up

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Teikanmi posted:

i have no idea. she was an older lady. she told me her supervisor told her i had worked for the school district. years ago i used to work for a trendy retaurant with the word "cafeteria" in the name, thats literally my only guess.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

where do you assholes live where you have to interview for unemployment?

over here in California things are so hosed and understaffed that you fill out a form online and that's it, they give you the benefits so you can leave them alone

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

You don't remember working for the school district? You used to tell us all about it. :confused:

haha

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

where do you assholes live where you have to interview for unemployment?

over here in California things are so hosed and understaffed that you fill out a form online and that's it, they give you the benefits so you can leave them alone

i live in california

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

i live in california

well drat maybe my situation a couple years ago was different.

I was laid off and got approved within two weeks

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Garbage can, not garbage cannot, y'all. That meme gets me.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I collected unemployment a few years ago, before they ruined it I guess.. it was pretty great. To be approved you just had to work a total of about 6 months in a row and then you could leave that job and sign up for unemployment online. Then you just had to answer like 10 questions every other week online and claim you were looking for a job without actually having to show any proof.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Varg posted:

I collected unemployment a few years ago, before they ruined it I guess.. it was pretty great. To be approved you just had to work a total of about 6 months in a row and then you could leave that job and sign up for unemployment online. Then you just had to answer like 10 questions every other week online and claim you were looking for a job without actually having to show any proof.

What about for those who have never had a job and don't intend to have one, but have so far been living off of student loans left over after graduation?

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

William Stoner posted:

What about for those who have never had a job and don't intend to have one, but have so far been living off of student loans left over after graduation?

Asking for a friend.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

you do realize you'll have to pay those off right

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

well drat maybe my situation a couple years ago was different.

I was laid off and got approved within two weeks

the lady on the phone made it sound like the only reason she was interviewing me was because she was under the impression i worked for the school district. Idk

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

you do realize you'll have to pay those off right

lol not if someone doesn't give me a job.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

puppet pal mitch posted:

Lmao what could you possibly be doing that stresses you out so much your life sucks, but you do it from home? Unless it's incall prostitution no one is even there in person to yell at you when you gently caress up

Perhaps I'm a little bitch baby, did you even consider that?? :grin:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I call it funemployment. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

William Stoner posted:

Make haste to your parents' basement as a newly minted incel failson.

• Locked thread