Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

no it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHQG6TMD_Gw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

William Stoner posted:

What about for those who have never had a job and don't intend to have one, but have so far been living off of student loans left over after graduation?

there are no labour jobs anymore, hope you like being homeless

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Can we talk about terminal capitalism and the slow, anemic death of demand? Should I start a new thread ??

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

unemployable thanks :smith:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

Can we talk about terminal capitalism and the slow, anemic death of demand? Should I start a new thread ??

I wish I could demand your anemic death!!!!

whatever I'm gonna go watch predator 2

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
if there's one thing that'll stop the coming apocalypse it's cult hit action films of the...

*pause*

80's

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

if there's one thing that'll stop the coming apocalypse it's cult hit action films of the...

*pause*

80's

uh actually I'm filling a needed niche. when robots take over all industry, there is going to be a serious demand for people who get drunk on a wednesday night and watch movies about space aliens killing jamaican stereotypes. robots can't even get drunk.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Ork of Fiction posted:

I call it funemployment. :smug:

Going to a theme park on a monday, watching a movie in the daytime (for matinee prices), and playing video games til 4 am?

What's not to love?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Phlairdon posted:

That's great and all, but what do you do till you build the clientele?

Not really a issue. Just go to the meatup places and get to work. Its dudes in parks, they aren't making bookings.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

well drat maybe my situation a couple years ago was different.

I was laid off and got approved within two weeks

It took me three months and constant harassment to get unemployment money in British Columbia, and every two weeks I had to fill out a form. And even though I'm a 45 minute drive from the US border I got in big trouble for collecting while briefly in WA. Apparently they cross-reference us leeches with border passport scans.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When I was on unemployment I got so good at checking the boxes on the website that I could do it in like 10 seconds, it was almost muscle memory

Easiest $186 per week I've ever gotten, was a great time, ste cookies and watched tv all day while (while diligently struggling to find a job, any job at all, of course)

It was a happy time

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

ddiddles posted:

Jesus being unemployed is boring as gently caress after the first couple weeks
Try having like hobbies and interests. Unemployment owns if you have those.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I went on unemployment once in MD. Called the number and the lady said she needed info for every employer I had for the past 5 years. I told her I was a freelance stagehand for most of that time and had literally hundreds of employers scattered over a half dozen states. After an hour on the phone with me she asked me to hold and when she came back said that they were just going to approve my claim without all the paperwork. I think I got something like $400ish a week? Sadly I actually sent out resumes and got a job like a week later, so I just bought an old revolver with the money.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

I went on unemployment once in MD. Called the number and the lady said she needed info for every employer I had for the past 5 years. I told her I was a freelance stagehand for most of that time and had literally hundreds of employers scattered over a half dozen states. After an hour on the phone with me she asked me to hold and when she came back said that they were just going to approve my claim without all the paperwork. I think I got something like $400ish a week? Sadly I actually sent out resumes and got a job like a week later, so I just bought an old revolver with the money.

This sounds great!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

prolly

would be a good thread tho

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bongwizzard posted:

After an hour on the phone with me she asked me to hold and when she came back said that they were just going to approve my claim without all the paperwork. I think I got something like $400ish a week? Sadly I actually sent out resumes and got a job like a week later, so I just bought an old revolver with the money.

this is why america is the best country

europe, take notes

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

The kind of stuff I could do with $400/w. I could probably buy a new tent and coffee pot!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

$400 a week would cover my rent and leave me with $25 extra at the end of the month, man, that would be living....

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

OctoberBlues posted:

$400 a week would cover my rent and leave me with $25 extra at the end of the month, man, that would be living....

Woah, you could save a lot from buying a tent there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

bongwizzard posted:

See, I figured out your mistake. Next time, bud, don't send out the resumes. I know, seems obvious in hindsight.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

So far I plan to sign up for

'unemployment'
'food stamps'
'obamacare'

anything else?
Also, does the fact my parents make over 200k disqualify me at all? I'm mad at them at the moment so I'm not receiving any of it. I consider myself independently poor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

So far I plan to sign up for

'unemployment'
'food stamps'
'obamacare'

anything else?
Also, does the fact my parents make over 200k disqualify me at all? I'm mad at them at the moment so I'm not receiving any of it. I consider myself independently poor.

if you're 27 (24?) or younger then yeah it does actually i think

def disqualifies you from a bunch of student aid poo poo

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

this is why america is the best country

europe, take notes

It was a p sweet revolver too, a second gen Colt Detective Special. It's not super fun to shoot but is excellent for tucking in your waistband before a nice evening walk to the newsstand and automat.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Wtf is a newsstand and automat?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

interwhat posted:

Wtf is a newsstand and automat?

Look at this wiseguy here.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

bongwizzard posted:

Look at this wiseguy here.

no, srsly, what is an automat? is that like a laundromat for your car?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Pride posted:

no, srsly, what is an automat? is that like a laundromat for your car?

I think it's a restaurant that's like a big vending machine

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

I think it's a restaurant that's like a big vending machine

More or less, they were a thing when my little revolver was state of the art tech. They were pretty cool in a retro-future way. Wiki says the last one in NYC closed in 1991, which seems crazy.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Is it like those sushi restaurants with conveyor belts? Because i love those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Not sure if Odd Todd's been posted. Pretty funny (to unemployment lovers like us) Flash animations about being unemployed by a computer graphic artist, just laid off when he started making them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dMFM-Jqji0&spfreload=10

More here (best watched in the order they were made): http://www.oddtodd.com

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 2, 2016

• Locked thread