Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

I saw her get a round of shots when they first show up on site as some kind of "here's a bunch of vaccinations and poo poo cause we don't know what you'll be exposed to" thing, but I saw zero indication that she was medicated every single time they went into the ship.

I think they were taking a lot of stuff to stay awake, bc of the deadline. Some of it was like epipens. Also for some reason I want to say that the ship opened up at regular intervals that were inconvenient for normal sleep schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I read Alien Invasion movies as at least partially being Reverse Colonialism fantasies. And you know what happened when "we" went to the new worlds - we brought a bunch of to us, trivial diseases, and then all the natives died. So now as we're being colonized, we're gonna be super smart and take a flu vaccine! Cause aliens got space bugs or something.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Just remembered another question I had. When the heptapods told them "Use weapon", that was a mistranslation right? They were saying "Use the Gift of time-vision" and the Gift isn't really weapon at all, yes? The word humans thought meant "weapon" actually meant "ability/power"?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Our own word weapon is insufficient. Should "weapons" include all methods that include strategic advantage? Sonar would have taken a long time to develop on its own, but WWII ramped that up quickly. Was it a powerful weapon? Arguably yes. I think the heptapods gave humans a strategic advantage that can be weaponized in millenia to come.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Or is it like the oracle in the matrix, "told you exactly what you needed to hear." I.e. it was a lie/misleading word, but put her on the path they wanted her on.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

El Jeffe posted:

Just remembered another question I had. When the heptapods told them "Use weapon", that was a mistranslation right? They were saying "Use the Gift of time-vision" and the Gift isn't really weapon at all, yes? The word humans thought meant "weapon" actually meant "ability/power"?

Yes, but it's also a callback to the Sanskrit translation earlier in the film. If your word for war is literally "desire for more cows", you're going to reach for your sword when you want more cows.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Our own word weapon is insufficient. Should "weapons" include all methods that include strategic advantage? Sonar would have taken a long time to develop on its own, but WWII ramped that up quickly. Was it a powerful weapon? Arguably yes. I think the heptapods gave humans a strategic advantage that can be weaponized in millenia to come.

Epitope posted:

Or is it like the oracle in the matrix, "told you exactly what you needed to hear." I.e. it was a lie/misleading word, but put her on the path they wanted her on.

Party Boat posted:

Yes, but it's also a callback to the Sanskrit translation earlier in the film. If your word for war is literally "desire for more cows", you're going to reach for your sword when you want more cows.

Cool interpretations!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

El Jeffe posted:

I might also be a Dumb Person. :ohdear: Are you referring to the idea that language is so powerful that it can enable you to literally see the future?

Specifically, he didn't understand that the kid had not been born yet until he got confused by wtf they were talking about near the very end and I had to explain it. The fact that the protagonist was seeing future memories clicked for me when she said "who is this child?" but apparently the meaning of that comment sailed directly over his head.

:smug:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Party Boat posted:

I think it's more a callback to the other professor's translation that war meant "disagreement" and another of her talks about "tool" versus "weapon"

"Use weapon to end war" or "use tool to end disagreement" are two sentences that basically could mean the same thing, but either could also be interpreted in a lot of wildly different ways. On the other hand "desire for more cows" has a more specific meaning.

So the basic problem they have is they know the symbol for weapon, but there's no common understanding between the humans and heptapods on what weapon means.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nathilus posted:

Specifically, he didn't understand that the kid had not been born yet until he got confused by wtf they were talking about near the very end and I had to explain it. The fact that the protagonist was seeing future memories clicked for me when she said "who is this child?" but apparently the meaning of that comment sailed directly over his head.

:smug:

Well, actually, your friend probably understood the film better than you did, since the time-travel conceit is just an excuse for Adams' character to speak poetically. "Who is this child?" is the sort of line Malick would include as a whispered voiceover in one of his films.

Attempts at deciphering the literal plot miss the point of how Adams' 'future self' will suddenly snap out of her day-to-day and experience life as something alien. This is not her 'past self' seeing the future, but her 'actual self' briefly adopting this past perspective - stepping out of the context of historical reality.

"And you may find yourself
Living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, actually, your friend probably understood the film better than you did, since the time-travel conceit is just an excuse for Adams' character to speak poetically. "Who is this child?" is the sort of line Malick would include as a whispered voiceover in one of his films.

Attempts at deciphering the literal plot miss the point of how Adams' 'future self' will suddenly snap out of her day-to-day and experience life as something alien. This is not her 'past self' seeing the future, but her 'actual self' briefly adopting this past perspective - stepping out of the context of historical reality.

With a beautiful wife
How did I get here?"

Are there any other songs that complement/are "better than" versions of Arrival, tryna get a playlist going

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just watched this and loved it.

So what I took from it is the aliens need our help 3000 years in the future and want us not destroy ourselves so they let Amy Adams see the future and so she can talk the Chinese down. Plus oh by the way now you know the future daughter you're going to have with Ian is going to die.

I am not trying to be a jerk but it's a bit confusing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Keith Atherton posted:

Just watched this and loved it.

So what I took from it is the aliens need our help 3000 years in the future and want us not destroy ourselves so they let Amy Adams see the future and so she can talk the Chinese down. Plus oh by the way now you know the future daughter you're going to have with Ian is going to die.

I am not trying to be a jerk but it's a bit confusing.

Naw, that's the gist of it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

Naw, that's the gist of it.

Thank you. Going to enjoy watching it again.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yeah, ultimately reading heptapod language and thinking like they do could be a super powerful weapon, even if you can't change the future with it. Like, Adams' character stops the Chinese by using knowledge she got in the future, but if there's one true path then she was always going to do that. So now imagine thousands of people able to draw on knowledge, perhaps eventually even detailed technical or expert knowledge, that they haven't actually learned yet. If it gets developed enough you could have early med students doing expert surgeries because they eventually become surgeons, diplomats knowing what to say to someone because they become friends with them in the future, and on and on.

There's also the possibility that due to how humans think and use this ability we'll do things with it that Heptapod's couldn't imagine doing, which to me is the most likely reason they'd need us to have this ability in 3,000 years.

Basically the aliens handed the human race a superpower, but it comes with some drawbacks and I feel like it'll take a real long time to really get good at it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Loved, loved this film. Two things to nitpick:

1. Shang is so uncommon a surname it basically doesn’t exists. Reads to me like some white dude’s idea of what a typical Chinese surname would be.

2. It didn’t bother me that much because I liked the film, but General Shang really shouldn’t be speaking crisp American English and the mahjong thing was hella dumb and Amy Adams speaks Mandarin like all white Americans on TV and in movies. At least they had it slightly muted. Usually it’s just white people speaking gibberish very loudly.

3. Don’t know how it really is, but Adams and Renner both seem too young to be world-leading academics parachuted into a global existential crisis.

Like I said, just nitpicking. Loved this a lot. I love how different it is from Sicario, which was – to me – a very fundamentally impersonal story with ciphers for protagonists. This was human through and through.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vegetable posted:

3. Don’t know how it really is, but Adams and Renner both seem too young to be world-leading academics parachuted into a global existential crisis.

The actors are 41 and 45 when they film the movie. But also, for storytelling purposes, Louise needs to be able to have children so she can't exactly be 50 in the events of the film.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For what it's worth, Noam Chomsky at 41 was probably the leading linguist in the world, and physicists and mathematicians often peak young.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just picked some random famous names but, Oppenheimer, Fermi and Feynman were in their 40s and 30s when they were a part of the Manhattan project at Los Alamos.

I have a similar problem in that two people seems like kind of like nowhere near as many people as should have been working on this poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cingulate posted:

For what it's worth, Noam Chomsky at 41 was probably the leading linguist in the world, and physicists and mathematicians often peak young.
See: Fields Medal, Einstein

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vegetable posted:

The Gov's already gone through some people that couldn't handle the experience, though. And Adams's character was more than happy to point them to a colleague (next down the line probably) when she showed no interest.

You're thinking that they're on the speed dial when they could, realistically, be the 4th or 5th choice by then.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Speaking of which, what changed Forest Whitaker's mind about sending her to Montana? I remember him saying "You're not going to Montana," then he just shows up in a helicopter and is like "You're going to Montana!"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vegetable posted:

1. Shang is so uncommon a surname it basically doesn’t exists. Reads to me like some white dude’s idea of what a typical Chinese surname would be.

what

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Josh Lyman posted:

See: Fields Medal, Einstein

Idgi, did he get passed over for being too old?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What part of that did you not understand

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

商 is an unusual but fairly normal surname, it's nowhere near "basically doesn't exist".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not fairly normal, it's exceedingly rare in mainland China. Try not talking out your rear end.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

it's rare, but not "exceedingly rare" or "basically doesn't exist", i know people with that surname and i'm chinese.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it's rare, but not "exceedingly rare" or "basically doesn't exist", i know people with that surname and i'm chinese.
85% of the population use one of 100 surnames and this is not in that list. I'm also Chinese and have not known a single person to use it.

My point was they clearly did no research about what a typical Chinese surname would be and just picked one that sounds right and rolls off the tongue of white people. Which is fine, whatever, but annoying.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

the surname Shang is the 123rd most common surname in China

compare this to, say, the surname McClane

McClane is the 23,221st most common surname in the US. even if we go to the much more common McClain spelling, that's still only the 712th most common surname in the US.

even taking into account the fact that the US has a lot more surname variety, your chances of a random Chinese person being a Shang are about 1 in 1,000 while your chances of a random American being a McClain are about 1 in 6,000

amusingly, you're more likely to find a mcclain in the bahamas (1 in 3,000 chance) than you are in the US.

in summary and in conclusion wow this is a dumb argument

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Vegetable posted:

I'm also Chinese and have not known a single person to use it.

have more diverse friends with interesting surnames!

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

El Jeffe posted:

Speaking of which, what changed Forest Whitaker's mind about sending her to Montana? I remember him saying "You're not going to Montana," then he just shows up in a helicopter and is like "You're going to Montana!"

El Jeffe posted:

"Ask him the Sanskrit word for war, and what its translation is" (in Louise's office after he's told her she's not going to Montana, as he's about to leave to go speak to another linguist)

"He said it meant a disagreement. You?" (At Louise's home in the middle of the night)

"A desire for more cattle."

If the Heptapods spoke Sanskrit and expressed a desire for more cows, the other linguist would have told Weber they were declaring war. This basically happens later on, during the "weapon" drama where Louise tries to chill everyone out explaining that they may not mean weapon as we understand weapon.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have a similar problem in that two people seems like kind of like nowhere near as many people as should have been working on this poo poo.

They weren't the only two working on it, they were head of their respective teams: Linguists and physicists. It's briefly mentioned as the Colonel introduces Ian & Louise when they arrive at the site initially, but not really addressed after that. I think in the story there's a few times where Ian is explaining things to Louise that the science/physicist team have come up with.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vegetable posted:

85% of the population use one of 100 surnames and this is not in that list. I'm also Chinese and have not known a single person to use it.

My point was they clearly did no research about what a typical Chinese surname would be and just picked one that sounds right and rolls off the tongue of white people. Which is fine, whatever, but annoying.
I mean, wouldn't it be sort of more racist if they'd chosen a more typical Chinese last name? Like, if you had a Serbian character and named him Milosovich, because you knew that was Serbian, and gently caress having to go look up other Serbian names, this one will do.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
why isn't every character named after me and my friends? oh wait, i know why: racism

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

NowonSA posted:

There's also the possibility that due to how humans think and use this ability we'll do things with it that Heptapod's couldn't imagine doing, which to me is the most likely reason they'd need us to have this ability in 3,000 years.

I was actually wondering about that - say, it turns out you can change the future to at least a limited extent, but the Heptapods were stuck in the paradigm of quietly accepting one's fate such that they never bothered to try.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

I was actually wondering about that - say, it turns out you can change the future to at least a limited extent, but the Heptapods were stuck in the paradigm of quietly accepting one's fate such that they never bothered to try.

In the movie it seems pretty clear that when she learns the Heptapod language, some sort of understanding comes along with it. She gains a kind of innate knowledge of time to the point that she no longer even wants to change future.

Maybe seeing an entire lifetime at once is like a sentence in Heptapod. If you take one thing out it throws the balance completely off. Maybe its not so easy to change the future without sacrificing a lot of the great stuff. On the other hand, its definitely possible that 3,000 years from now humans have developed a more advanced understanding of time than the Heptapods ever had. Fun to think about but probably would make for a lovely sequel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

With a beautiful wife
How did I get here?"

More specifically, "how am I being here?"

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

In the movie it seems pretty clear that when she learns the Heptapod language, some sort of understanding comes along with it. She gains a kind of innate knowledge of time to the point that she no longer even wants to change future.

I thought it was simply a matter of her concluding that she wasn't going to forgo all the good times she had with her daughter to avoid having to deal with her untimely death.

quote:

Maybe seeing an entire lifetime at once is like a sentence in Heptapod. If you take one thing out it throws the balance completely off. Maybe its not so easy to change the future without sacrificing a lot of the great stuff. On the other hand, its definitely possible that 3,000 years from now humans have developed a more advanced understanding of time than the Heptapods ever had. Fun to think about but probably would make for a lovely sequel.

Just because there can be unintended consequences doesn't mean the unchanged future automatically represents the best possible outcome. I'm sure there are plenty of people who, if they could see the entire timeline of their lives, would have every reason to conclude that the potential benefits of making certain changes would outweigh the risks (say, seeing yourself dying of lung cancer and deciding to quit smoking).

For what it's worth, there are several major languages (including Mandarin Chinese) where specifying present/future tense is not a mandatory part of sentence structure. Native speakers of such languages tend to think of the future pretty similarly to how most of us think of the present. This, in turn, motivates them to be more mindful of how their actions impact their future (living healthier lifestyles, saving more money, etc.)

http://theweek.com/articles/466512/how-language-speak-affects-future

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

I thought it was simply a matter of her concluding that she wasn't going to forgo all the good times she had with her daughter to avoid having to deal with her untimely death.

That's what I'm getting at yea, but she seems to gain an instant understanding of why it would be impossible to change the future without having to sacrifice those things. In most time travel stories the protagonist would at least want to try to cure their daughter without losing all of the good times they had together before the illness. She somehow already knows that's not possible so she doesn't even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

This, in turn, motivates them to be more mindful of how their actions impact their future (living healthier lifestyles, saving more money, etc.)
As a linguist I'm professionally obliged to state this (hard linguistic relativism/determinism) is a huuuuuuge controversy within linguistics and a bunch of smart people think this is false and will get very angry if you even consider it a possibility.
Keith Chen is rather universally understood to be a quack though.

On the other hand, I'm personally entirely willing to believe in hardcore relativist ideas like Ted Chiang's here.

• Locked thread