Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Hello everybody, and welcome back. This time we’re in for something completely different:

That’s right, I haven’t yet gotten into the next RPG I was planning (Terranigma) and so I decided to do something a bit different since nobody seems to have tackled it yet. Fallout 4 is the third entry into Bethesda’s take on the series (after Fallout 3 and New Vegas) and personally my favorite. I’d go into plot details but there’s very little you can actually reveal about this game without verging into spoiler territory. Let it suffice to say that you play a lone figure who is on a very personal quest that will have wide ranging effects on the world around you. Fallout 4 has tons of quests, multiple factions you can ally yourself with, and a variety of unusual NPCs that you can travel with and even romance. For a given value of romance.

The setting is an alt-future version of America which maintained a 1950s aesthetic while advancing into the 21st century, culminating in a nuclear holocaust that left most of the United States a radioactive wasteland full of mutant animals and remnants of humanity seeking to scrape out a bare existence with little hope of rebuilding a new society. Previous games have been set in the Oregon/California area, Nevada, and Washington D.C. Fallout 4 is set around Boston and makes some significant changes to the basic formula in regards to weapons, armor, factions, and enemies. I’ve seen most of it, and now I’m planning to show it off to you all as a fairly relaxing LP experience.

How are you going to do this?

Fallout 4 allows for a lot of user input, so the plan is to record about once a week (possibly more depending on circumstances) and allow as much viewer input as possible. You’ll choose the appearance of our character, some generalities about our build, which companions to take along, and what quests to do for each play session. I’ll contribute my knowledge of the game to make this all work so that I can show the maximum amount of the game possible and provide an entertaining experience. At the end of each play session I’ll ask for input as to which quests I should tackle next and which companion to take with me. In the end you’ll choose which faction I align with for the ending, although if there’s enough demand I might show off the others.

What are you using to record?

I’ve been playing on the PS4, so I’ll be using the onboard system to stream and then cutting the stream up into approximately half-hour episodes to post throughout the week. I’m using the PS4 camera/microphone accessory as that seems to do a decent job of picking up audio. Not planning on including picture in a picture, but I suppose it could happen. This is my first video LP so there may be a bit of a learning curve.

Anything else we should know?

I’ll be recording along with my wife, who has watched me play through this game far too many times and is usually better than I am about spotting loot. We have four cats, and you may hear us speaking to them at various points in the video. Especially when they climb in front of the TV so that I can’t see what I’m doing. I’m going to be moving in the next month, but I’ll try to build a backlog close to when I move so that there’s no interruption in the LP. Also, spoiler policy: Don’t. There are plenty of people who haven’t seen this game and might be experiencing it for the first time. “Do Quest X, it’s really awesome and funny!” is fine. “Do Quest X, it’s really tragic because Person Y dies and you get this super awesome item that will help you beat Secret Boss Z!” is not. If you have something specific you want to address, PM me. Lore talk about previous games is always fine. Oh, and occasionally we swear. A lot. It’s that kind of game. Don’t let your parrot or child watch, or they might learn some new words.

Thread Contributions
Canine Mayhem

Ultrabindu's Art Gallery

The Life and Times of Deacon: A Play in Three Acts

The Adventures of Deacon Part 2: Railroad Boogaloo

How MacCready Does

Piper and the Minigun: Greatest Hits Reel

Table of Contents
Intro
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6
Update 7
Update 8
Update 9
Update 10
Update 11
Update 12
Update 13
Update 14
Update 15
Update 16
Update 17
Update 18
Update 19
Update 20
Update 21
Update 22
Update 23
Update 24
Update 25
Update 26
Update 27
Update 28
Update 29
Update 30
Update 31
Update 32
Update 33
Update 34
Update 35
Update 36
Update 37
Update 38
Update 39
Update 40
Update 41
Update 42
Update 43
Update 44
Update 45
Update 46
Update 47
Update 48
Update 49
Update 50
Update 51
Update 52
Update 53
Update 54
Update 55
Update 56
Update 57
Update 58
Update 59
Update 60
Update 61
Update 62
Update 63
Update 64
Update 65
Update 66
Update 67
Update 68
Update 69
Update 70
Update 71
Update 72
Update 73
Update 74
Update 75
Update 76
Update 77
Update 78
Update 79
Update 80
Update 81
Update 82
Update 83
Update 84
Update 85
Update 86
Update 87
Update 88
Update 89
Update 90
Update 91
Update 92
Update 93
Update 94
Update 95
Update 96
Update 97
Update 98
Update 99
Update 100
Update 101
Update 102
Update 103
Update 104
Update 105
Update 106
Update 107
Update 108
Update 109
Update 110
Update 111
Update 112
Update 113
Update 114
Update 115
Update 116
Update 117
Update 118
Update 119
Update 120
Update 121
Update 122
Update 123
Update 124
Update 125
Update 126
Update 127
Update 128
Update 129
Update 130
Update 131
Update 132
Update 133
Update 134
Update 135
Update 136
Update 137
Update 138
Update 139
Update 140
Update 141
Update 142
Update 143
Update 144
Update 145
Update 146
Update 147
Update 148
Update 149
Update 150
Update 151
Update 152
Update 153
Update 154
Update 155
Update 156
Update 157
Update 158
Update 159
Update 160
Update 161
Update 162
Update 163
Update 164
Update 165
Update 166
Update 167
Update 168
Update 169
Update 170
Update 171
Update 172
Update 173
Update 174
Update 175
Update 176
Update 177
Update 178
Update 179
Update 180
Update 181
Update 182
Update 183
Update 184
Update 185
Update 186
Update 187
Update 188
Update 189
Update 190
Update 191
Update 192
Update 193
Update 194
Update 195
Update 196
Update 197
Update 198
Update 199
Update 200
Update 201
Update 202
Update 203
Update 204
Update 205
Update 206
Update 207
Update 208
Update 209
Update 210
Update 211
Update 212
Update 213
Update 214
Update 215
Update 216
Update 217
Update 218
Update 219

Survival Mode Updates

Bonus Update 1
Bonus Update 2
Bonus Update 3
Bonus Update 4
Bonus Update 5

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Combined with original opening.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 3, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 1: Intro

Intro Video

And so, that’s the beginning of FO4. Tonight ended up running a bit longer than I anticipated, but I really wanted to get to the exit to the vault where we get a chance to remake our character. Because of that option, there are some very important questions for the thread:

1.) At the risk of sounding like Professor Oak, are we a boy or a girl?

2.) What is our name? There’s a list of names that Codsworth recognizes here: Fallout Recognized Names.

3.) What do we look like? Feel free to include a picture, and I’ll try to match it.

4.) What should our general character type be? I’ll use this to determine starting stats and guide my style a bit, although gameplay requirements will still have a say.

5.) How do you all feel about the Idiot Savant perk? For those who aren’t familiar, the perk occasionally triggers based on how low your intelligence is and provides either triple or quintuple experience depending on how high you level it. The downside is that every time it triggers, there’s a ridiculous idiotic laugh track sound. If we use it, however, level ups will come noticeably faster.

Suggestions will be taken until Friday evening, at which point they’ll be put into action. As always, what I find most amusing/interesting may be selected over what’s most popular but I’ll certainly take the perspective of the thread into account. Blind obedience to mass voting is how we get characters named Dongs or Boaty McBoatface.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
1) Boy
2) Julian
3) Look something like that
4) Be a bad mother fucker

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

1. Be a boy.
2. Alan Alda
3. Looks like Alan Alda
4. He is a doctor, a boozer, and a ladies' man.
5. He is surgeon at a MASH unit, not an idiot savant.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

Livewire42 posted:

1) Boy
2) Julian

Seconding Julian.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
1) Boy
2) Fuckface
3)whatever makes spoilers look funniest
4)Sarcastic rear end in a top hat...afterall he told his robot to call him fuckface
5) download a mod that makes it trigger of decent intelligence because it's a stupid perk.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

1) Man
2) Max Rockatansky
3) You know what he looks like; pick either iteration of the original wasteland survivor.
4) Taciturn Mercenary
5) Quiet does not mean stupid. Ignore the moron perk.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Livewire42 posted:

1) Boy
2) Julian

All of my this.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
1)Boy
2)Archer
3)<<<<<<<<Looks like that.
4)Run around drunk, shooting things, sleeping with anything and somehow succeeding.
5)Absolutely, the very definition of an idiot savant.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Livewire42 posted:

1) Boy
2) Julian
also use a bat sometimes

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

1) girl the narrative feels a bit more strained with a woman character so go for that.
2. don't care
3° the most hideous abomination the facegen can create. I'm talking something like this:

(but female)

4] explosives. anything that goes boom - rocket launchers, grenades, mines, ...
5} it's fun for 2 seconds, after that I want to cut out the eyeballs of the sound designer who created that audio cue and make him eat them

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
So, a couple quick notes that I figured I should emphasize:

1.) You can't change the voice acting, so no matter what if we go with a guy it's going to sound like Brian Delaney or Courteny Taylor if we go with a female character. I can't help but think that might cause some cognitive dissonance with a few ideas.

2.) I'd forgotten how awful Idiot Savant sounds. Just going to nix that one outright.

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014

Sel Nar posted:

1) Man
2) Max Rockatansky
3) You know what he looks like; pick either iteration of the original wasteland survivor.
4) Taciturn Mercenary
5) Quiet does not mean stupid. Ignore the moron perk.

All of this. Let the references come full circle! I just hope we can get a rad leather jacket.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

JawaKnight posted:

All of this. Let the references come full circle! I just hope we can get a rad leather jacket.

This but female and called Maxine. Go for as close to Imperator Furiosa as you can.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Boy
Humongous
He should look like Lord Humongous
He should act like Lord Humongous
Lord Humongous is not an Idiot

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Girl
Jiang
Cool Scars, Asian, Fat
Should act like an rear end in a top hat, but when it comes to actual choices, make good ones
No moron perk because I feel that would be more annoying than entertaining.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Girl
Kat
Punky (pig-tails, obviously dyed hair, etc)
Stealthy, Knuckledusters and Knives, Shotgun for situations you can't punch or stab your way out of. Engage Maximum Sarcasm.

I love how dedicated Fallout is to "Vault-Tec are Assholes". Anyone who got assigned to a Vault inevitably got screwed over, and as evidenced from the opening sequence (with the Sales Rep getting turned away from the Vault), not even their employees are safe.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

LashLightning posted:

This but female and called Maxine. Go for as close to Imperator Furiosa as you can.

I'd vote for this as well, but with a couple of modifications:

1) Maxine isn't on the Codsworth recognized list. But you know what is on his recognized list? Furiosa.

2) But I don't think it makes sense for her to be called Furiosa from the beginning, or to have a shaved-bald haircut. Have her start out with a nice, attractive female haircut, and be named Rosa. Then at the point when you leave the starting location and there's one last chance to change your face and your name -- that's when she changes her name to Furiosa, gives herself a Significant Haircut, and swears that she won't let her hair grow back until she (accomplishes a certain goal that would be a spoiler to mention now).

Edit: Wrote the above before I watched the intro video. So it's not a spoiler to say "until she gets revenge on the people who murdered her husband, and gets her baby back". And since you're probably not going to record through the intro a second time with a new character face, skip what I said about the hair and name change. (If you are planning to record the intro a second time with the new character's face, though, go ahead and do the Rosa -> Furiosa thing -- but it's not really necessary.)

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 2, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
And we're streaming now - https://www.twitch.tv/ddegenha. Stream over! Thanks for coming out!

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Wherever we go, I vote we go in guns blazing.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I'll be taking the video from the stream and chopping it up for people to watch over the next few days. In the mean time, we have some options available. What should we do in terms of quests?

1.) Returning the Favor - Go to USAF Satellite Station Olivia to get a locket back
2.) Help Ten Pines Bluff - This leads to a dungeon area full of raiders.
3.) There's an old quarry that someone is trying to rehabilitate, which we could help out with.
4.) Wander around various nearby areas and loot them for atmospheric detail and equipment
5.) Head on to Diamond City to follow the main quest line

Most popular items get attended to first - if something doesn't get handled with this one, it'll be added to the list for next week.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

ddegenha posted:

I'll be taking the video from the stream and chopping it up for people to watch over the next few days. In the mean time, we have some options available. What should we do in terms of quests?

1.) Returning the Favor - Go to USAF Satellite Station Olivia to get a locket back
3.) There's an old quarry that someone is trying to rehabilitate, which we could help out with.
4.) Wander around various nearby areas and loot them for atmospheric detail and equipment

Most popular items get attended to first - if something doesn't get handled with this one, it'll be added to the list for next week.

The Quarry is a cool quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of. So I vote Quarry

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

ddegenha posted:

I want to vote for "all of them", which won't really change the vote totals. But since I don't really know Fallout 4, I'm watching through the stream footage before I vote.

And in watching through the footage, I heard you talk about the "Duck and Cover" drills. I won't talk about any Fallout 4 plot until it shows up in the chopped-up videos (unless you give it your OK, that is), but I assume talking about the "Duck and Cover" drills will be fine. Apparently there was a lot more sense to them than most people think. If you're within a mile or two of ground zero, yes, the whole building's probably going to be destroyed... but beyond a couple of miles, there's actually going to be a whole lot of buildings left standing after the blast wave hits them. BUT those buildings are going to lose ALL their windows. If you're standing up when the blast wave hits, you're going to be hit, and very likely killed, by lots of flying glass. But the blast wave will take 10 to 30 seconds to reach you -- and if you've ducked under your desk during that time, then as long as the building's still standing, you're probably going to end up uninjured. And you don't get irradiated by being near a nuclear blast and surviving it; you get irradiated by staying in the area afterwards, and breathing in dust that contains radioactive isotopes.

Long story short, those "Duck and Cover" drills would actually have saved a lot of lives if America had every experienced a nuclear attack.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Can I put in a reverse vote and have us hold off on looking for our son as much as possible?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 1:thx:

As promised, the first portion of the stream is up. There's a few lessons I'm learning as I go along, like getting better at editing and how to time dialogue and commentary. I think I'll definitely have to stop manually saving, since that breaks things up a bit and Fallout 4 is actually pretty good with how it manages autosaves. I might also have a solution for the echo that's being caused by the microphone picking up the audio from the TV that I'll test today while playing through the latest DLC, but overall it's a fun learning experience.

Tax Refund posted:

I want to vote for "all of them", which won't really change the vote totals. But since I don't really know Fallout 4, I'm watching through the stream footage before I vote.

And in watching through the footage, I heard you talk about the "Duck and Cover" drills. I won't talk about any Fallout 4 plot until it shows up in the chopped-up videos (unless you give it your OK, that is), but I assume talking about the "Duck and Cover" drills will be fine. Apparently there was a lot more sense to them than most people think. If you're within a mile or two of ground zero, yes, the whole building's probably going to be destroyed... but beyond a couple of miles, there's actually going to be a whole lot of buildings left standing after the blast wave hits them. BUT those buildings are going to lose ALL their windows. If you're standing up when the blast wave hits, you're going to be hit, and very likely killed, by lots of flying glass. But the blast wave will take 10 to 30 seconds to reach you -- and if you've ducked under your desk during that time, then as long as the building's still standing, you're probably going to end up uninjured. And you don't get irradiated by being near a nuclear blast and surviving it; you get irradiated by staying in the area afterwards, and breathing in dust that contains radioactive isotopes.

Long story short, those "Duck and Cover" drills would actually have saved a lot of lives if America had every experienced a nuclear attack.

That's actually pretty cool to hear broken down like that. As someone who started school near the end of the Cold War I only had a brief experience with those kinds of things. As far as voting, just go for whatever sounds the most interesting. If I have time I'll hit them all, but the purpose of voting is to see what falls off if necessary.

Mage_Boy posted:

The Quarry is a cool quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of. So I vote Quarry

Not sure what you're thinking of, but it's the one that involves swimming and sets us up for a future return to the area.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 3, 2016

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 1:thx:
Not sure what you're thinking of, but it's the one that involves swimming and sets us up for a future return to the area.

I was thinking of the other quarry, but I don't think I actually did this one, so my vote stays.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm usually down for wandering the wastes for atmospheric discovery and loot. But I'm going to say go get the locket, as Olivia seems like she needs some help.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ddegenha posted:

I think I'll definitely have to stop manually saving, since that breaks things up a bit and Fallout 4 is actually pretty good with how it manages autosaves.
It's still a Bethesda game, so I highly recommend against relying on autosaves.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have to say, I groaned very loudly when you revealed that you were going with Archer for the character, but after the suit popped up, the three beers got slammed, Codsworth was treated appropriately ("Mother! He thinks he's People!"), and you went with boosting his luck ("Things... just kind of work out for me") this is actually off to a great start.

I do look forward to seeing Kat deal with survival mode, if you actually end up doing it, though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Doubleposting because I'm a bad person.

Since you mentioned Caps being a thing on both ends of the US in the Fallout world, I wanted to spend a little time on Lore Chat.

Caps as currency was instituted by the Water Merchants, who operated out of a town called The Hub in wasteland California. Caps had an equivalent worth related to water (one cap equaled a certain amount), and the caps weren't necessarily old Nuka Cola bottle caps, these caps were "minted" by the Water Merchants (which makes sense, you don't want just anybody to be able to introduce a bunch more coins out of nowhere to your currency system).

While it would make a little bit of sense for areas immediately east of California to also adopt a Bottle Cap currency system (presuming that they have had contact and trade with The Hub and therefore the Water Merchants), it makes ZERO sense for the East Coast to be using the exact same system; No one from the capital wasteland has visited the west or vice versa (well, with the exception of a Faction of the Brotherhood of Steel, who also have no reason to be using a Cap Based Economy (they use Scrip!)), for a multitude of reasons (Big rear end Mountain Range for one, Caesar's Legion is also a good reason). Plus, while the Capital Wastes (and the East Coast in general) could have stumbled across a similar system themselves, there is no big controlling faction in the East like there is in the West that would institute such a thing. Well, that's actually a lie, but it would be spoilers to post who they are AND they keep to themselves for the most part anyway so I feel safe in excluding them.

The reason why we have Bottle Caps as currency in the East is because it's the system Fallout 1 and 2 used, and why bother inviting more Grognardy complaints than Bethesda was already getting? I personally wish they had used Pull Tabs as currency in Fallout 3/4 (it would have been a nice reference to the pile of 500 pull tabs from Nuka Cola cans you could find in Fallout Tactics, that were completely worthless), and that Nuke Cola was therefore in cans out East, but c'est la vie. Fallout 3/4 commited far worse crimes in the "Why the gently caress is this here" department:

- Jet
- People never exposed to FEV turning into Ghouls

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Caps aren't the main currency in Fallout 2, because by that time the NCR had become a thing and they had their own NCR dollars backed by gold. I think at some point you can find a "treasure" that just turns out to be a pile of worthless bottle caps. (edit: yeah, apparently you can find 10,000 caps that you can't use or sell)

In New Vegas, caps are the main currency because the NCR doesn't have much of a hold on the Mojave (at least until my character shows up :911:) and their gold reserves were blown up by the Brotherhood of Steel, tanking the value of the NCR dollar. The Legion also has their own currency.

:goonsay:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I'll vote for Returning the Favor, then. And if we can vote for two or more, I'd place my second vote on searching for atmospheric detail and loot. There's a lot of atmosphere in Bethesda games, and locations can often tell their own mini-story (as we saw with that cave behind the Red Rocket garage). Everyone who plays through Fallout 4 will see the main quest, but some of the side areas with their own story to tell are easy to miss, and I think the LP will be richer if we get to see some of those easily-missed side areas.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

RickVoid posted:

wasn't there a big debate on this between the OG devs whether it was radiation and FEV or just radiation that turned people into ghouls?

EDIT-"The precise origins of ghouls were a topic of some debate between the developers of the original Fallout, with Tim Cain stating that ghouls develop as a result of radiation, while Chris Taylor supported the idea that they are a result of a combination of radiation and FEV. Chris Avellone initially supported the latter view,[83] before ultimately deciding in favor of the former.[84] Bethesda Game Studios and Obsidian Entertainment ultimately concluded that radiation is the only external factor at play.[85]"
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Ghoul#Behind_the_scenes

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 4, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 2:thx:

Second video coming right up. Confirmed the fix for the echo, but the downside is that I lose situational awareness because I can't hear anything in the game. Oh well, I could probably use a handicap anyway. Speaking of which, should I crank up the difficulty a little bit?

As of right now it looks like we have

2 for Returning the Favor - Go to USAF Satellite Station Olivia to get a locket back
0 for helping Ten Pines Bluff - This leads to a dungeon area full of raiders.
1 for exploring an old quarry that someone is trying to rehabilitate, which we could help out with.
0 for wandering around various nearby areas and loot them for atmospheric detail and equipment (although I might just do this anyway)
and 0 for heading on to Diamond City to follow the main quest line

Might stream tomorrow night since it's a long weekend and it'll build a bit of a buffer, so we'll see what things look like at that point. I think I'll have to find some kind of way to do an actual poll for these, especially once I start asking which companion to bring along. I think that'll start to be a thing when we have a few more options.

RickVoid posted:

I have to say, I groaned very loudly when you revealed that you were going with Archer for the character, but after the suit popped up, the three beers got slammed, Codsworth was treated appropriately ("Mother! He thinks he's People!"), and you went with boosting his luck ("Things... just kind of work out for me") this is actually off to a great start.

I do look forward to seeing Kat deal with survival mode, if you actually end up doing it, though.

It's also affecting our perk choices, although later in the night alcohol also had a vote. Which is actually kind of appropriate.

RickVoid posted:

Caps Stuff

- Jet

You know, considering that I did an LP of Fallout 2 I should have remembered that it wasn't bottle caps, because I remember going down that well and pulling out the bag of useless bottle caps. For some reason my mind just skipped over and categorized money as bottle caps after playing Fallout 3 and 4. I'll have to make a note to talk about Jet a little bit and possibly ghouls on the next stream.

Doc Morbid posted:

In New Vegas, caps are the main currency because the NCR doesn't have much of a hold on the Mojave (at least until my character shows up :911:) and their gold reserves were blown up by the Brotherhood of Steel, tanking the value of the NCR dollar. The Legion also has their own currency.

:goonsay:

That was actually a nice detail in New Vegas, but I think I usually ended up just exchanging all of my extraneous currency into one type to make it easier to buy things.

Tax Refund posted:

I'll vote for Returning the Favor, then. And if we can vote for two or more, I'd place my second vote on searching for atmospheric detail and loot. There's a lot of atmosphere in Bethesda games, and locations can often tell their own mini-story (as we saw with that cave behind the Red Rocket garage). Everyone who plays through Fallout 4 will see the main quest, but some of the side areas with their own story to tell are easy to miss, and I think the LP will be richer if we get to see some of those easily-missed side areas.

There's a couple of neat spots like that right next to Abernathy Farm, actually... maybe I'll take a walk over there after turning in their quest.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Just to be contrary, I vote you Go To Diamond City. It's far enough away to probably get some good atmospheric looting (and fast travel options) on the way and more options will open themselves up.

No strong opinions about difficulty, but please get at least a few varied weapons that you name and strategically cherish forever.

edit: Even oblique references to upcoming quests might be too spoilery. Sorry.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 4, 2016

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm going to vote for Returning the Favour - helping these folks out might be to our advantage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Re: "Why is he Irish," colonial British America was a bit more "multinational" than you might think. By then it wasn't an English colony specifically, after all. There were a lot of Irish and Scottish (and Scots-Irish) settlers, Germans too, and Dutch from New Amsterdam. Irish-descended colonists could be attracted to the patriot cause because they had a number of good historical reasons to hate the poo poo out of the British government (British oppression in Ireland was probably a great motivator to emigrate to the colonies in the first place). Port towns like Boston were especially diverse just by virtue of having so many people coming and going from all over. The participants in the Boston Tea Party reflected this diversity of colonial British America. There were English, Scottish, French, African, Portuguese, and, yes, Irish participants.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Is it worth getting the season pass for this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ultrabindu posted:

Is it worth getting the season pass for this game?

I only think of Far Harbor as being important since the locations and story add a bunch of fairly interesting content, but Automatron does has some good stuff if you like fiddling with robots plus a negligible short story bit. Vault-Tec Workshop is blah unless you're in love with making a half-realized vault for yourself and I'm leaning negative about the half of Nuka-World I've seen so far. The other little packs have a bunch of placeable items and some working machinery for [thing] automation.

In short: If you're big into settlement building and personalization, definitely. If not, at least Far Harbor is pretty cool.

• Locked thread