Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

proof of concept posted:

don't forget to put a masking tape X on the windows

i put them over my nipples and eyes instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
lol that goddamn X masking tape I swear to god has to have been a joke a native told a snowbird was a good way to prevent windows from shattering or something

welp im still alive and now its a 6 day weekend :cool:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is Florida still there, because I purposefully did not keep it and it's people in my prayers.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Pretty much the entire city of Tallahassee and the surrounding areas have no power. loving trees everywhere.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

lol that goddamn X masking tape I swear to god has to have been a joke a native told a snowbird was a good way to prevent windows from shattering or something

welp im still alive and now its a 6 day weekend :cool:

It's a good troll because it takes almost as long to get the cooked on masking tape off all the windows as it would have taken to board them up

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
i flew out mid hurricane that was cool except now I'm like a day later leaving your country sorry US

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:laffo: at everyone in North Florida losing their poo poo over a category 1 storm.

Glad you made it, stormgoons

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

:laffo: at everyone in North Florida losing their poo poo over a category 1 storm.

Glad you made it, stormgoons

Lol at this dumb gently caress who learned nothing from sandy and katrina and thinks the category system is meaningful or useful beyond predicting wind damage

The most important things for storm surge, which is actually the most important consideration for low lying areas, are exactly what time it will make landfall w/r/t the tides, and other factors that influence storm surge, and this is impossible to predict accurately more than a few hours out

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

Lol at this dumb gently caress who learned nothing from sandy and katrina and thinks the category system is meaningful or useful beyond predicting wind damage

The most important things for storm surge, which is actually the most important consideration for low lying areas, are exactly what time it will make landfall w/r/t the tides, and other factors that influence storm surge, and this is impossible to predict accurately more than a few hours out

It's you. You're the guy who doesn't know storm surge is primarily dependent on wind speed, storm approach angle, and coastal topography, and has been modeled by the NHC since like 2008.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

It's you. You're the guy who doesn't know storm surge is primarily dependent on wind speed, storm approach angle, and coastal topography, and has been modeled by the NHC since like 2008.

Yeah the single biggest factor definitely isn't whether it hits as the tide is high/rising. Oh wait it is! By virtue of being a tropical cyclone the wind is always going in the right direction to maximize storm surge somewhere along the coast where it makes landfall. The storm speeding up or slowing down in the hours before landfall can make a huge difference in the storm surge if it means the storm hits as the tide is rising instead of falling and this is impossible to predict accurately in time for anyone to sanely not prepare for the worst.

Also the NHC modelling it has fuckall to do with the storm caregory so citing the category as a reason people shouldn't have gotten worked up about it is dumb as poo poo

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I got 2 hurricanes coming to my house but you don't see me needing to brag about it. think of all the goony scrubs that aint got any hurricanes and how bad they feel about it. you fuckin narcissist millennial

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

schmitty9800 posted:

IIRC this was like the exact projection for katrina which was supposed to be weak as gently caress then one storm blew it into NOLA and another midwest phenomenon kept it in place

katrina started in the carribean and made landfall on the east coast of florida and then got much stronger when it reached the gulf. it might have gone further west than predicted but that sort of thing always happens.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

Yeah the single biggest factor definitely isn't whether it hits as the tide is high/rising. Oh wait it is! By virtue of being a tropical cyclone the wind is always going in the right direction to maximize storm surge somewhere along the coast where it makes landfall. The storm speeding up or slowing down in the hours before landfall can make a huge difference in the storm surge if it means the storm hits as the tide is rising instead of falling and this is impossible to predict accurately in time for anyone to sanely not prepare for the worst.

Also the NHC modelling it has fuckall to do with the storm caregory so citing the category as a reason people shouldn't have gotten worked up about it is dumb as poo poo

Not to be that guy, but what you're talking about is called "storm tide". Storm surge is the height of the water compared to the normal astronomical tide, and is a function of the intensity of the storm, the angle at which the storm is approaching the coast, the local topography, and the speed at which the storm is approaching.

Storm tide is the total observed water level, or the storm surge added onto the level caused by the astronomical tide. Storm tide is where the tide level matters, storm surge does not. Also, storm speed affecting storm surge isn't about "what tide the storm arrives on" or whatever. In open areas, faster moving storms generate bigger surges because they're pushing the water faster than a slow one would. But in bays or semi-enclosed areas, a slower storm causes higher water levels because the water piles in on top of itself and can't get back out to sea.

Also also, the tide currently changes by about 2.5 ft in the big bend area of florida. So for a 9 foot storm surge the tidal difference is like 22%.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
stormnerds all up in this thread bizness

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Modeling, schmodeling. I believe Dr. Young accurately described all hurricanes back in 1977 via a 7-minute guitar solo that sounded much like 100 sq ft of aluminum siding flying down an abandoned street and directly into an industrial wood chipper.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The Wizard of Poz posted:

stormnerds all up in this thread bizness

Nerds ruin everything. "KILLSTORM9,nah sorry guys it's just some wet clouds"-a wet blanket nerd.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Marv Hushman posted:

Modeling, schmodeling. I believe Dr. Young accurately described all hurricanes back in 1977 via a 7-minute guitar solo that sounded much like 100 sq ft of aluminum siding flying down an abandoned street and directly into an industrial wood chipper.

It's true. It's Florida's state song, and they play it at every baseball game

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I've successfully gotten gbs to sperg out over relative differences in storm surge

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey FYI the storms over sorry guys but hey some of us got a week long vacation out of it and some rad rain

Also I've been drinking beer since like 10 so here comes your storm surge *unzips pants*

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Farking Bastage posted:

Pretty much the entire city of Tallahassee and the surrounding areas have no power. loving trees everywhere.

Yeah, I can see four downed trees from my front porch including the one hanging entirely from the power lines. There's about another dozen within a block and a smashed up electrical pole every two blocks. City power company is estimating 7-10 days to get poo poo working again.

Current status: chansawed up a buncha tree limbs today, now drinking semi warm beers out of the unpowered fridge as it continues to rain like a mofo. Welcome to Flordia y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

• Locked thread