Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

What strikes is me is that the PC's will happily eat walking poison mushrooms and giant snails. But they won't eat giant crab claws, which seems like way more conventional food.

It's probably because minotaurs hate tartar sauce, and by extension seafood. True fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

What strikes is me is that the PC's will happily eat walking poison mushrooms and giant snails. But they won't eat giant crab claws, which seems like way more conventional food.

Allergies. :colbert:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Quick Step 'n Shuffle
We take on the remaining major puzzles on floor five, both of which require some quick feet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Glad you're still alive. I as getting worried!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Glad you're still alive. I as getting worried!

Thanks! I was doing some traveling for an extended period so it was tough getting episodes out. Should be more regular now though.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Snooze Spot
We finish up floor 5 and try to find secrets yet to be uncovered.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have to say that this last episode was pretty painful to watch, especially spending 10 minutes trying to solve a puzzle you forgot you had already solved.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have to say that this last episode was pretty painful to watch, especially spending 10 minutes trying to solve a puzzle you forgot you had already solved.

Yeah I hear you. If something like that comes up in the future I may edit it down a bit. You'll probably hate the last five minutes of episode 15 for similar reasons.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - It's a Trap!
Floor 6 isn't pulling any punches.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Haunts and Madness
We find our way through the teleporter maze and investigate the nearby halls.

Episode 17 - Great Halls of Fire
We eat fireballs all day every day!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Quick Pits
We must be light on our feet to discover some of the remaining secrets of floor six.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Sludge Problem
We finish up floor six, but encounter a bit of nastiness almost immediately on floor seven.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Way of the Quaff
Thanks to a tip, we discover a missed secret.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Beyond the Maze
We find some challenging encounters beyond the Maze of Shadows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Floor 6:

Respawning enemies? Lots of enemies respawn on this floor, so close the doors and grates so they don't wander around.
Food Shortage?: The snails respawn as soon as you leave the hallway and can be farmed for food.
Return to Floor 5? After opening up the exit down to floor 7 on floor 6, the stairs back up to floor 5 become accessible again.
Secrets? There's actually another secret on floor 6, although the prize probably isn't that useful for you. Hint 1: It's inside another secret you've opened. Hint 2: You need to look for another one of those rune-buttons.

Floor 7:

Secrets? You missed a rune-button. Hint: In a secret.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Floor 6:

Respawning enemies? Lots of enemies respawn on this floor, so close the doors and grates so they don't wander around.
Food Shortage?: The snails respawn as soon as you leave the hallway and can be farmed for food.
Return to Floor 5? After opening up the exit down to floor 7 on floor 6, the stairs back up to floor 5 become accessible again.
Secrets? There's actually another secret on floor 6, although the prize probably isn't that useful for you. Hint 1: It's inside another secret you've opened. Hint 2: You need to look for another one of those rune-buttons.

Floor 7:

Secrets? You missed a rune-button. Hint: In a secret.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to find time to take a look for the secrets.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - Love Tap
We continue exploring floor 7 where we accidentally find some awesome loot and have a close call with a tough enemy.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - A Little Backtracking
We reach the end of floor 7, but also take some time to discover a couple things we missed previously.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rojogames posted:

We reach the end of floor 7, but also take some time to discover a couple things we missed previously.

I am 99% sure you missed one of the rune-style buttons inside the teleporter room in the dark maze. You panned over it super fast on your way to the portal super fast and you seem to have trouble noticing those.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I am 99% sure you missed one of the rune-style buttons inside the teleporter room in the dark maze. You panned over it super fast on your way to the portal super fast and you seem to have trouble noticing those.

You're right. I don't think I ever noticed them in the past, and I still haven't trained myself to look for them properly. I'll try to find it off camera for next time, thanks!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rojogames posted:

You're right. I don't think I ever noticed them in the past, and I still haven't trained myself to look for them properly. I'll try to find it off camera for next time, thanks!

If you go to about 9:05 in the video and watch as you leave you should see it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

rojogames posted:

You already found the "Westmost" secret already. It referred to the westmost pit in the floor 6 room in the Halls of Fire with all the pits.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - The Temple
We find the entrance to a strange temple, oddly by skipping almost an entire floor.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 6, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The entrance to floor 8 proper is on floor 7. I don't remember where. It might be that the map you found is for that.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The entrance to floor 8 proper is on floor 7. I don't remember where. It might be that the map you found is for that.

Yep, I took a little time and found the spot off camera.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - Vefrostiraptors Attack
We continue checking out the temple. Suddenly, dinosaurs.

Episode 26 - Path to the Vault
Having explored fairly deep into the temple, we go back to floor 7 to utilize the map we found recently, before we get too far away.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 6, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Episode 25:

Nice job spotting the sneaky perspective flip. You figured it out much faster than I expected. The game has never done that before, but now that you're this deep, the tricks start to get really serious.

Yes, the maze is the area where they respawn, so it's best that you close the door to the hunting grounds whenever you leave the area. It is never pleasant to run into wandering ice raptors you were not expecting.

Episode 26:

Secret buttons: I think there is one in the corridor. Not sure where.

Did one of the ogres you killed drop a key? (Not sure.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 20, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - Telesporeter
We find some undiscovered secrets in the Vault, as well as a path forward.

Episode 28 - Return to the Temple
We finish up the Vault and return to the Temple to pick up where we left off.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 6, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 29 - House of Riches
We finish up the first level of the temple and plunder its riches as we do so.

Episode 30 - Watchers Revealed
As we descend to the second level of the temple we come face to "face" with our toughest opponents yet.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 6, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Floor 9: The 4-alcove pillar which confused you just opened up shortcuts back to the raptor maze, without you needing to do the serpent winding all the time.

That button you found in the spiral which did nothing? When you move far enough into the spiral, a wall blocks your escape, which is very bad to discover when trying to flee an angry ogre.

I wonder if a 4-mage party would work well. I have the urge to try it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Floor 9: The 4-alcove pillar which confused you just opened up shortcuts back to the raptor maze, without you needing to do the serpent winding all the time.

That button you found in the spiral which did nothing? When you move far enough into the spiral, a wall blocks your escape, which is very bad to discover when trying to flee an angry ogre.

I wonder if a 4-mage party would work well. I have the urge to try it.

Good to know. I thought about doing a 4 mage party for the playthrough, but for me I thought it'd be too tedious due to the spellcasting UI. Managing one spellcaster can be hard enough at times. Still, it's a cool concept, and it might turn out to be fun with a little practice slinging spells, so don't let me discourage you from giving it a shot!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 31 - Eastern Temple Depths
We explore the eastern portion of the lower temple and get a glimpse of the tomb below.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My Four Mages are now early on in Floor 7. The most important part about running four mages is being able to run backwards, because you need time to reload your runes and activate them.
I made 4 mages, all Insectoids for the bonus stats and I gave them all the +Willpower and Skilled traits (+3 skill points) to get them able to cast spells immediately. I did spend two points each to raise their STR and VIT to 10 so I could carry slightly more and die slightly less. The downside is that I have very low carrying capacity, but the upside is that Insectoids barely eat - ever, so I need to carry much less food.

I have one of each element, although the Earth mage actually has 14 points into Air for the ranged air spell. My Earth Mage and Fire Mage are the front-liners, so they have 8 points into Staff Defense for the meager defensive bonuses they get. After the initial spell, I focused on getting the characters to Spellcraft 10 for the faster casting, before switching them back to their element. The blue orb from floor 6 is a light source, so you don't need to even cast Light anymore after a certain point.

I want to get everyone up to Increased damage and faster casting 2 before taking on the Fighter's Challenge. I actually did pretty well my first time, thanks to the little Air 19 spell called Invisibility. That let me get into a corner. But I only had one Frost Bomb, so I should come back after I have a couple more AND a second healing potion for everyone. With that I might be able to survive the Fighter's Challenge.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 7, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I remember seeing a thing about a "point of no return," but didn't that door get opened back up? It was a few floors back, but hell if I remember which.

Could you go all the way back to the very first room of the dungeon? You've got no real reason to (and I use "you" in the sense of "you specifically, Rojo" and not the generic "you"), and I certainly don't expect you to do it, but could you?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MechaCrash posted:

I remember seeing a thing about a "point of no return," but didn't that door get opened back up? It was a few floors back, but hell if I remember which.

Could you go all the way back to the very first room of the dungeon? You've got no real reason to (and I use "you" in the sense of "you specifically, Rojo" and not the generic "you"), and I certainly don't expect you to do it, but could you?

Yes, you could. The "You cannot go back" sign was on floor 5 in an area you had to go through to reach a key to unlock the stairs. (By the way, I found out how to open that secret area on floor 5 which rojo gave up on - it was the barred cage. You have to flip the lever to start the timer for the teleporter, then run down the hall to the cage. Simple.)

The portcullis on Floor 6 which traps you there lifts once you open up the door leading to the floor 7 stairs. The wall which traps you in the spiral on floor 9 lifts via a secret switch on the wall.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

MechaCrash posted:

Pretty much what Stabbey said. If I get motivated I might do a missed secrets sweep episode before the end of the series. I missed a ton of stuff on level 4 according to my records.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

My Four Mages are now early on in Floor 7. The most important part about running four mages is being able to run backwards, because you need time to reload your runes and activate them.
I made 4 mages, all Insectoids for the bonus stats and I gave them all the +Willpower and Skilled traits (+3 skill points) to get them able to cast spells immediately. I did spend two points each to raise their STR and VIT to 10 so I could carry slightly more and die slightly less. The downside is that I have very low carrying capacity, but the upside is that Insectoids barely eat - ever, so I need to carry much less food.

I have one of each element, although the Earth mage actually has 14 points into Air for the ranged air spell. My Earth Mage and Fire Mage are the front-liners, so they have 8 points into Staff Defense for the meager defensive bonuses they get. After the initial spell, I focused on getting the characters to Spellcraft 10 for the faster casting, before switching them back to their element. The blue orb from floor 6 is a light source, so you don't need to even cast Light anymore after a certain point.

I want to get everyone up to Increased damage and faster casting 2 before taking on the Fighter's Challenge. I actually did pretty well my first time, thanks to the little Air 19 spell called Invisibility. That let me get into a corner. But I only had one Frost Bomb, so I should come back after I have a couple more AND a second healing potion for everyone. With that I might be able to survive the Fighter's Challenge.

Nice! Seems like you've got things pretty well figured out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've actually now finished the game with my 4-mage party. I saved the Fighter's Challenge as basically the last thing before the final floor to let me get the benefits from a couple more levels. I did pretty well. I used a lot of frost bombs to buy time to reload my runes, and one person died, but that was a result of my failure to pay attention, because they had lots of potions still left. Overall, I got 67/71 secrets, which is very good since I was going entirely by memory.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

I've actually now finished the game with my 4-mage party. I saved the Fighter's Challenge as basically the last thing before the final floor to let me get the benefits from a couple more levels. I did pretty well. I used a lot of frost bombs to buy time to reload my runes, and one person died, but that was a result of my failure to pay attention, because they had lots of potions still left. Overall, I got 67/71 secrets, which is very good since I was going entirely by memory.

Congrats! I'll be surprised if I've missed that few secrets by the time I'm done with the series, even if I go back to check for a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 32 - Stuck
We make a sad discovery and generally finish up the second level of the temple and the tomb.

• Locked thread