Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going for labor day weekend in Yosemite, camping at north pines. I know it will be crowded. I haven't been there in about 10 years.

What are good things to do with my wife and toddler? Besides provoking bears to eat fellow tourists.

e- is this even a real forum or some kinda joke thing? I don't even know.

soy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

climb the falls and throw babby in

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

If you can, reserve a bus trip up to Glacier Point. Beautiful view of Half Dome and waterfalls, great for taking pictures, after waiting in line for about 3 hours for everyone else to take theirs.

Banjo Bones fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 1, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Tuolumne Meadows is real nice

Any hike that goes 1 mile away from the roads is going to have less people (though still a lot)

The valley is cool in its way but is going to be insane with traffic etc

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaltLick posted:

climb the falls and throw babby in

Hail satan

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Take the John Muir Trail or Mist Trail out of the valley and enjoy some views! If you can make it to Sunrise Camp that's a great view

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'll just wander over to yosemite village and eat pancakes until they kick me out and then lay around and drink beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yosemite valley

The most tourist hike is yosemite falls. You can at least wander to the base of the falls, it's like wheelchair accessible. You can also take the conga line trail up the mountain side to get to the falls, which is well worth it. Bring water and good shoes and layers of clothes, because the weather can change drastically in the space of an hour anywhere in the park any time of year.

A good hike if you are in good fit condition is to hike up to Vernal Falls. You can get there via the vernal falls trail during the summer, or the john muir trail connects to it via a backtrack when the vernal falls trail is closed. It's a shortish but very steep hike, but with stairs, very pretty. It's about 1000 feet up, and 1000 feet back down. It can be slippery so wear proper shoes or boots with good grips, and if you have anything you don't want to get wet, bring a parka or something because the "mist trail" gets misty, you know?

If you're in good shape, from vernal falls you can hike up to nevada falls. That is an awesome hike to do, moderate difficulty mostly from how high up you're going. A round trip to nevada falls and back will take several hours, so pack appropriately and don't plan to do another significant hike the same day. It's 1900 feet up and another 1900 feet back down, don't forget to reserve strength and time for the back down part.

If you are an adventure-seeking power-hiker with strong healthy legs and don't mind serious hiking poo poo, you can do half-dome. I've never done it even when I was young and healthy. It's a serious all-day trek that you should not try unless you've done lots of serious all-day hiking before. There are other power-hikes too, like the four mile trail to glacier point, etc. but I haven't done those either.

There's also lots of not so steep valley hikes to do, such as illiouette falls, mirror lake/tenaya creek, etc. Pretty much there's trails all the way around the valley floor, just look at a map any of them will be enjoyable but also fairly crowded.

The rest of the park
TBH if you don't like being in crowds, the rest of yosemite is loving huge and well worth it. Drive up to toulomne meadows if 120 is still open and there's shitloads of nice hikes. I've done Mt. Hoffman which is another all-day thing and also at fairly high elevation, but the views are spectacular. There are hikes that take you to overlooks of the valley which are longer but not as much of a huge elevation up-and-down as hiking up from the bottom of the valley. And there's a shitload of backcountry trails that you can totally hike if you're backpacking and spending the night out there, but you need to have signed up for the limited spaces at in-park campgrounds like a year ago so good loving luck with that.

One more thing is if you drive 120 east just outside the park there's a trail between Tioga Lake and Ellery Lake. If I recall correctly you can take a ferry across a lake and then hike out to Saddlebag, the geology along that trail is very interesting as you'll pass over the transition between the sierra nevada batholiths (the huge granite blobs that were once the magma chambers of the volcanic range that formed the sierra nevada) and the overlying metamorphic rocks. Somewhere out there there's also a trail you can hike that will take you to a sudden overlook of the basin & range - the open desert east of the sierra. It's a great view. I took this hike back when I was in college, so I'm going from memory so definitely get recent maps and properly plan your trip etc. etc.

Pretty much anywhere you go in Yosemite is spectacularly beautiful. It's already past the peak summer season, but it's still a pretty crowded park. I like going to the valley in January when it's at minimum amounts of tourists and the snow is really pretty, but the rest of the park is only really accessible during the summer months, so you just have to deal with the crowds. If you want solitude, the rest of the sierra nevada mountains are there for the hiking.

• Locked thread