Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite/Favourite subtitle?
This poll is closed.
Revelations 11 12.50%
Resurrection 5 5.68%
Retribution 6 6.82%
All-Stars 66 75.00%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I hope the Direct today surprises me

in a good way, not in a Federation Force way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"getting off my rear end early morning Saturday to run errands" is also one of my personal Z Moves

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man Woolly World had such good music it makes sense in retrospect why New Island's was so bad. Like they had to sacrifice the music for that game to some genie in order to make Woolly World's so much better.

Especially this track. It's like :unsmith: in song form.

The music just fits the character of the game so well; I love it. Found myself just sitting at the intro screen before actually playing sometimes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB6qc0uDASQ

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
still playing Gran Turismo 5

my old PS3 controller's left stick clicks in really easy which honks the horn of whatever car you're driving

so if I get too into it and turn really hard (even though it doesn't actually make the car turn harder I'm just into it man) the car's horn honks just like a crappy car in real life

accidental realism

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
130 hours is a paltry TF2 number really

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Steam says I played MGSV for 289 hours somehow

combination of leaving the game running to farm materials, me getting addicted to the online base-raiding thing, and playing MGSV"s version of MGO

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One problem in Gran Turismo 5- it's easy to sorta "overshoot" how good you make a car through modding so that you just smoke the other cars in a race

So things can feel either sorta unfair for you or too easy a lot of the time

I sorta wish there were more races where they just gave you a car so it didn't feel like you were cheating by using too fancy of a car or at a noticeable disadvantage

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda love Hybrid Heaven. I mean it's not really a good game but I love the weird ideas it has.

Y'know what it looks alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN2brmXCUA0&t=213s

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Did a game that already came out on systems outputting in HD resolutions really need to be remastered?

I guess we'll see how many people buy it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Now you know how they're going to make bank off of Space Jam 2. Threaten to DMCA the original website if enough money isn't made from the sequel.

it's hilarious but like why is that website still up

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mad Max felt like a pretty by-the-numbers open-world game to me, but the car stuff was neat and the setting was compelling to me personally

Also when you activate Fury RoadMode when you're doing your standard Batman-Arkham-Asylum-type combat you start hearing awesome angry motor intake noises and Max starts like doing dropkicks and suplexes and poo poo

Ratchet and Clank I can gather is... a really well-made and extremely pretty Ratchet and Clank game if you're into those at all. I'm definitely picking it up whenever I get a PS4

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Soooo yeah I guess I'm gonna wait to see what the PS Pro does to the development landscape on the PS4.

-Devs sorta target the PSPro specs when developing games so the OG PS4 "version" of the game only looks/runs "OK"?
-Devs don't care about the PSPro because they aren't being forced to so it doesn't matter anyway for the vast majority of games?
-4K streaming content somehow grows by leaps and bounds in 2 weeks and weirdos with 4K TVs love it??!?
-I buy a used old PS4 or a PS4 Slim and deal with the maybe-mildly-worse-performance on some games because I basically only want to play Bloodborne anyways?!??

The PSPro seems stupid to me at this point but I guess we'll see where things go.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

I always kind of assumed the reason Sony was making the PS4 Pro was because the regular PS4 wouldn't be able to run VR very well, so they were releasing a console that their VR stuff would work properly on.

Seems to be a combination of this and 4K support

VR and 4K, two technologies that are definitely completely mature and useful to the majority of consumers of videogames!

I just don't get it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I'm so excited to play the new Anime Lawyer game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Years later there still isn't a compelling game that needs VR to work

There needs to be more than like tech demos for me to even consider getting geared up for it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
King of Dragon Pass is on Android at least
emulator and your favorite "game that doesn't require precise inputs because you're on a dang touchscreen" game
one of the like million free picross games floating around the Play Store
Layton: Mystery Room is a surprisingly fun little distraction if you're into Phoenix Wright-ish gameplay and the first couple of cases are free

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
isn't Phoenix Wright on iOS kinda bad though or did they fix it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

they completely redid the port with the full original trilogy and also ported dual destinies and it all works well

nice

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wasted a ton of time playing both DR1 and 2

would like to play Off The Record some time

shame about 3, although the next one looks promising

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hell Yes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

the worst part of re4 is me not owning it until last week

sinful

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Oh I know, I just like playing stuff on cart because I'm dumb enough to have modded systems and scalers.

I would like to hear more

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

You are better off asking the Retro thread, I just buy the modded systems from Monitor Burn on SA Mart, and also found a cheap last generation scaler from a different goon in the same place. I'm too lazy to mod anything myself.

But if you want to know why its insanity the modded NES cost something like $350, and if I had actually bought a new scaler of the same brand it would have been $500.

Wow that's expensive

Like I guess what does that get you?

The only mods on old consoles I know about are region lockout removal workarounds

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Nostalgia mostly, ha ha. I already have a way to use an SNES controller on PC, it's just that there are plenty of games I've had for years and would regret getting rid of.

I still have my complete Earthbound cart that I bought with my own money back in the day.

Edit: I mean in actuality it means you can actually hook up a system to a modern HDTV without it looking like complete garbage because composite 240p looks like trash if it's not properly upscaled but it's usually easier in most cases to just look for garage sales on the weekend and pick up a CRT.

Yep, I went the CRT route with my stuff

It's so ~authentic~

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

So I have a question - I played Professor Layton and the Curious Village and it didn't really click. Would I still like Layton vs. Wright?

The Wright parts felt good to me, but I kinda don't like Layton's gameplay and people said the puzzles in that bit were easier than usual.

Which was good for me personally I guess. I kinda ehhhhhhhhed my way through the Layton stuff to get to the Wright stuff

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Soooo I guess I should wait for the inevitable GOTY edition with all the actual content of the new Deus Ex game like I'm doing with Fallout 4

Sakurazuka posted:

Miiiiiike! :argh:

It still hurts after all this time.

He's like the only one who actually helps you in the game where you're pretty isolated. And it feels terrible to have the badass power of a helicopter taken away from you so quickly and suddenly in a game where you've been using small man-portable arms the entire time.

Like a question I want answered about RE4 is why your kick turns into a suplex once you get into the castle.

"Time to get serious and stop messing around" says Leon as he sees the situation deteriorating.

Then shouldn't you have gotten something even more PRO WRASSLIN' when you get to the island?

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The end credits showing the rise of the Las Plagas cult is a cool touch.

It's the only vaguely actually scary/unsettling thing in what is otherwise a cheesy B-movie action romp

Nice little ending

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I have a question for those people who really like Dark Souls.
Did you like it immediately, or did it take a long while to like it?

I started playing the first one and I initially sorta didn't like it but I was able to get good enough at the first area quickly enough that I kinda realized that was just the flow of the game- the game stomps on your face and you eventually overcome it and get better at traversing the areas and fighting the bosses and feel confident for two seconds before you hit another wall you need to overcome.

It sunk its hooks into me pretty quickly; like an hour in I was no longer skeptical about the game being engaging and fun.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like how in DR2 you can turn a group of survivors into an infinite-ammo firing squad and decimate some of the psychos

It's actually kinda hard for me to say whether I like DR1 or 2 better; need to play Off The Record also

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

yeah i think so but in an A- against B- kind of way.

dr2 reminds me of saints row 3 in some ways, in that kind of turned the wow so cool haha knob up a bit too far with some gimmicky survivors/psychos and the combo system and the whole las vegas deal in general. still really good though

Yeah one kinda felt like I was watching a B-movie and 2 felt like a B-movie with a little too much self-awareness, ya know?

Still can't say I really disliked the tone or feeling of one or the other though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey how did everyone like Divinity: Original Sin? Kind of thinking of giving it a shot now that it's on sale

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Are there any good horror shooters that succeed at being horror? I ask not because I want to play one, but because I'm interested in an academic sense. It seems like the shoter genre is inherently a power trip, regardless of difficulty, and that clashes with what makes horror work. Ergo why Doom 3 wasn't fun and Resident Evil became a silly action movie when it shifted to a third person shooter.

I guess there's Dead Space, but I've heard it also succumbs to action creep by the time of the third game.

I would say it's by the second game- the weapons are badass and your character curses out the alien monsters while stomping them to death.

I can't think of a game where you have guns but they're sort of a last-ditch not-so-effective defense against whatever's stalking you but I'm fairly sure one exists

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really hope DR4 is good you guys

the gimmick this go-around appears to be "powered mech suits just layin' around"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The 4th case of the new Ace Attorney game is aggressively Japanese and the translators just threw up their hands and went "OK I guess the entire trial is just about rakugo and soba noodles, gently caress!"

I love it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really wished Konami hadn't collapsed out of its own rear end in a top hat so we could get another competent game or some more content using the MGSV gameplay/FOX Engine

drat it felt so good

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Well congrats friend, because I sincerely doubt Metal Gear Survive is made with a new engine or different gameplay.

I purposely specified a competent game man

the odds of that being good feel kinda slim to me

if it's somehow good it will be a pleasant surprise I guess

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

excuse me, EXCUSE ME sir, you clearly said "or"

UGH OK I just want another good game or good content using the MGSV stuff!

Just such a drat shame MGSV is all they did with it; game was good but ultimately felt a little half-baked for some reason

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

the reason was that it was half-baked

I still wonder what the ultimate failure there was

Kojima just not being able to wrap poo poo up properly?

Konami cheaping out and rushing things?

Both, probably

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we'll get a better idea of what the heck MGS Survive is gonna be like on Saturday at TGS- supposed to stream some gameplay there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
MGS: Survive could be good for me if the majority of the game isn't that tower defense part

...that took up like 80% of the video...

• Locked thread