Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite/Favourite subtitle?
This poll is closed.
Revelations 11 12.50%
Resurrection 5 5.68%
Retribution 6 6.82%
All-Stars 66 75.00%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll say it can be difficult to bring new people in to your patreon constantly. Plus it's always going to be less than 1% of your audience that actually financially supports you because the other 99% just want free entertainment and don't give a gently caress. That's why ad revenue can be so important for some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was given a review copy of Featherpunk Prime, its a combination of platformer and twin stick shooter where you are a cyber flamingo

the movement is a little like mega man X, you have a dash, you have the ability to walljump upwards off of one wall, you have a slide (I didn't use this too often), a double jump (which can be upgraded to a triple jump)

the levels are randomized but the game takes the Spelunky path of "get to level (X) and you can unlock a checkpoint to start from in future runs"

there are persistent upgrades but they aren't required to beat the game; though the enemies' HP goes up with each floor, their dmg to you (at least through floor 12) is the same across all floors, so if you want to play hardcore you should be able to beat it purely on skill. this may not matter to some people but it matters to me because I don't like Grind to Win games

you can carry two weapons and each new floor you can swap out one of your weapons for a new weapon. so far i've seen pistol, shotgun, crossbow, bouncegun, and minigun. I'm assuming there will be more as the game goes on (there are 48 floors in total)

the upgrades are things like max health, weapon dmg, reload speed, critical hit chance/dmg. you don't level up in the game; enemies drop cells (and there are tons of cells all around each floor to pick up) that get banked at the end of each floor. the first max health upgrade costs 2000 cells and I got 1300 in one floor just to give an example.

here's a boss, it's 3D not sprites but the animation is really nice. the aesthetic is funky and strange with intentionally clashing colors. the music is nice and reminds me of the old MOD/S3M scene but modernized

I thought it was cool. i dunno what the price will be but it comes out today. i've only played up to floor 12 so far. i'm wondering if more guns will come or what they'll do to keep the floor-based nature of the game from getting monotonous. they have been introducing more enemies at least

I also got a review copy of Big Action Mega Fight but there's a resolution problem with the latest update that they're working on to fix so I can't talk about that one yet

e: oh yeah, the game defaults to LB for jump, A to pick up weapons, X to reload, but you can remap the controls (I preferred A to jump, X to pick up, LB to reload)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 1, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tinybuild's new game looks cool. a stealth roguelike with multiple classes that offer different playstyles to completing missions

http://streetsofrogue.com/

there's a free alpha

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BexGu posted:

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition just came out with a crap ton of balance changes, updates, bugs fixes, and mod support. The best part? If you've already own Titan Quest/Immortal Throne on Steam you automatically get the new edition that combines both into one neat little package. For every one else its only $5 right now so I highly recommend it to any one that wants a ARPG that takes place in some place other then generic middle age fantasy.
i might play it now cause nordic is youtuber-friendly and playing driftmoon got me into wanting to play ARPGs (specifically better ones, driftmoon is chill but its combat is horrible)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also i would prefer ARPGs with a controller but i think the only one i have that supports controller is van helsing, while TQ and Torchlight require M&KB :X

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Picross 3D 2 Picross 3D 2 Picross 3D 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theyve gone Too far

https://twitter.com/TannerLPer/status/771127504698380288

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got a couple more review copies to play (seasons after fall, copy kitty) and i'll let you know if they're good...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

how come i dont get review copies, this is bullshit
either email developers or use one of the PR sites people have made

https://dodistribute.com/browse/ is made by vlambeer and is about as direct a request line as you can get from automation

https://evolve.terminals.io/ is by Evolve PR, i'm not sure what accreditation they're looking for in accepting people

https://www.keymailer.co/ is by I think a Yogscaster, this one's a little weird because they just add any game to their database whether the dev knows about them or not, so your chances might be better just asking devs directly. all this site requires is 50 subs from your youtube channel or twitch channel and some properly tagged videos in your feed

in general indie devs are just super nice and willing to give games to people who want to play them and recommend them to others, i don't know that your stats are even all that important so much as just getting the word out. consider that on any given day like 30 different indie games get released, i think devs really want to get their games out there as much as possible

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 2, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

to give an example, indie games released in the past 24 hours:

runescape: idle adventures
epic battle fantasy 3
the underground man
lost castle
blind blades
ian's eyes
featherpunk prime
a matter of murder
windscape
don't crawl
cashtronauts
magnetta
wasps
rungunjumpgun
shiny
battle knights
hack slash & backstab
torsion
neurovoider
tahira

the majority of those might be bad but at the same time, you release among all those games and you'll want to get your game out there to stand out among them. "good work sells itself" i think is not necessarily true for indie games considering not enough people own GOTY of all years Full Bore

then tomorrow you have:

redout
de-void
seasons after fall
metris soccer
cliff hanger (not the FMV game :( )
Deadly Rooms of Death: gunthro and the epic blunder
toricky
dumb chicken 2: no way out
alpha decay
the seeker
hellangel
tangled up
space hole
grid legion storm
isomorph
wont you be my laser
lords of the earth flame

the signal to noise ratio is starting to get loving crazy. it's crazy that that many games are releasing on a friday, because of the floodgates being that wide open

indiegala is probably clapping with glee

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like the khimera music

https://soundcloud.com/joeaquiare/khimera-ost-oil-rig

https://soundcloud.com/joeaquiare/khimera-ost-mountians

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Networking desync is going to be SO upsetting.
this never happens! this never happens

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

copy kitty thoughts

this game kinda rules. it's not a beautiful game but it's a really fun one. i don't have gifs this time because everything in the game is so hectic that a GIF would be like a thousand megabytes, here's the steam page so you can watch the trailer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/349250/

it's kirby meets megaman. every enemy has a power you can pick up and use as a weapon, and you can combine up to 3 of them to make a brand new weapon, from laser swords to plasma tornados to homing grenades

even though it's an early access game the game is 90% complete so there are 100+ levels and nearly a couple dozen bosses in the game, along with a hard mode, endless mode, a second protagonist with his own mechanics, and a bestiary

it's really frenetic, and every level gives you new combinations of powers to combine so you're almost always going to have a brand new weapon to discover.

apparently there's a demo out there on itch.io somewhere if you want to try it out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i may as well share thoughts on a couple other games i've played because i've played a TON in the past week

mandagon: this is a free game on steam that is super chill, it's only 20 minutes but you're a little totem dude looking for tablets to place into warp portals. the visuals are like Fez, high quality pixels

port of call: another free game on steam, this is a kind of odd one, it's a walking sim, it's not the best looking game but most free walky games aren't. you're on a death ship talking to dead people and helping them pass on

big action mega fight:

this one was a bit of a disappointment because I like the art of it, I like double stallion and their ok KO game, I just think that it needs tweaking to be a better game. for starters, enemy reaction times are way too slow in the first 2/3rds of the game, that you likely won't even be damaged until level 15-16 (there are 35 levels in the game). there also isn't enough enemy variety as the color palette swaps come out pretty quickly. the combat is very basic for a Final Fight tribute, with no jump/jumpkick, and no real comboing. Just basic punch, uppercut, throw, and tuck roll. I think the game needs a little more time in the oven to tweak damage values, HP values, things like that. It's a mobile port to PC and I think maybe it was balanced for mobile gamers. If they can rebalance it I think it'd be decent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the solution is to always play hidden object games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is it fascism yet posted:

is there a megathread for point & clickers? if there isnt, has anyone played Goetia and can tell me if its good?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573298

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

after destroying the monster girls in Khimera you befriend them

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

princess remedy sequel http://store.steampowered.com/app/522040/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

trying so hard to wait for crosscode to finish before playing it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I guess Barkley 2 did come out after all.
crosscode is great, at least the demo was. i own the early access game but i wanna be patient and let them complete it first before playing it. i'm expecting it to be done in a year

it's the only game i know of taking Ys as inspiration and its combat is in fact fast and furious

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

I'm kinda shocked nobody has ever made some crappy Gamemaker game based on Zybourne
demon rush feels like a spiritual brother to zybourne

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nintendo DMCA'd No Mario's Sky so they made this

https://asmb.itch.io/dmcas-sky

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol the DMCA is so stupid that Warner Bros ordered a takedown of themselves

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/warner-bros-flags-own-site-for-piracy-dmca-google/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got a review copy for a game called plantera i will play it in a bit and then talk about it...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

plantera is a clicker game about farming

i dont know how to compare some clicker games to others. it reminds me of an iOS app that i cant remember the name of it, but it was a town with animals. each thing you plant produces stuff that your blue helper guys pick up (or you can click on them) to get coins, levelling up gives you new things to plant that gives you more money per harvest, plus farm animals that produce eggs and manure and shoes (???). there are bad animals that sneak onto your farm to eat your poo poo and scare off your animals and you have to click on them to chase em off. eventually you can buy scarecrows and guard dogs

so yeah like any clicker you eventually can automate everything and just come back to the game a couple days later and see how much you've made. I think it would be better on iOS because that lends itself to checking in on your situation whenever you want. it's a nice chill game for a couple bucks though. i'm surprised they didn't go F2P with IAP like just about every other clicker. there's really not much content-wise to the farm though, I got to level 10 in a half hour and the unlocks seem to stop around level 20 :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got a key to this game wuppo, it looks cool and cute

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400630/

i cant wait to play wuppo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Also in non-Apple, Nintendo or Sony news if we pool all of our money together we can probably pick up an Interplay franchise or two:
They own Incredible Crisis via titus

someone needs to rescue it from limbo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its a day later and i still think the PS Pro is the dumbest thing

iterative hardware makes sense with phones because you're already tied into contracts that bring the price down. it cost me $99 to upgrade from an iphone 4 to the latest one. if i had to pay $400 i wouldn't upgrade!!!

and of course it makes sense with PCs because they are for literally all purposes and between DOSbox and emulators have backwards compatibility extending back to the beginning of gaming

the PS Pro is just like. what if we did the Nintendo New 3DS but without an exclusive game and developers still arent forced to support it? and to make the phone comparison, older iterations lose support eventually, like the iPhone 4 cant run any app made after 2014 basically. so its like the worlds worst subscription because you don't need a console like you need a phone, and it costs way more

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 8, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also while looking at games on itch.io i found a lets player that put cardboard eyes on a top hat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

VR was hosed by the Vive being more popular with devs because now gameplay has to fit in a 'room space' which means they'll never graduate past Kinect games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we need to have a freeware games thread again but i never have time to put one together

i would want it to be more than just "here's cave story and a bunch of other games from 2006!" like it usually is

cause itch.io has a lot of funky free things these days

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'm enjoying the new Phoenix Wright, but I had to close my 3DS and go do something else for a while when I was introduced to the hippie witness, Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin.

this series' naming conventions have officially stooped below dad joke levels
thats an awesome name, i cant wait for the download to finish

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PBS Newshour posted:

Said like someone who never spent a whole day playing cool and weird poo poo on itch.io
yeah, there's some good stuff. also prototypes and demos of games that ended up never getting completed so it's like a graveyard of ideas too

i have a 'collection' of nearly 50 metroidvanias on itch.io

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

okay, i finished seasons after fall. how do i grade this, hmm...

my experience with the game was very up and down. let's start with the best aspect, the visuals

it stands alongside the UbiArts games and Ori as top 2D environmental art. there's no disputing that. this is most likely the primary reason people buy the game

the mechanic of the game is switching between seasons, which changes the way the environment works, and you do this to solve puzzles and navigate around a lot of platforming. spring is rainy and fills up basins, winter freezes geysers and lakes, fall increases wind currents and grows mushroom platforms, and summer is for the most part useless.

let's talk about game structure. you start off in summer, and have to get each season one by one. this segment takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours and is practically on autopilot. one steam reviewer compared it to a walking sim and i kind of agree. you just experience narrative, then you run to a season's guardian without doing much of anything, get their power, and then there's some light puzzling on the way back to the hub. rinse and repeat 3 more times. no fast travel yet, mind you. so, enjoy that

the second part of the game is the good part of the game in which you.. go back to the areas you went to before, but use your powers to find wind stones and power them up. these are the most puzzly moments of the game, so even though you revisit areas it's at least in a new context and new paths open up.

the third part of the game is.. you go back to the areas you went to before, AGAIN, this time to find altars and power them. to say this game is unambitious from a game design standpoint is underselling it. it's almost like alan wake american nightmare. one altar requires fumbling around in the dark finding light crystals that only light up a tiny area around them. the other three are almost as much an autopilot as the first part of the game where you're just going to the obvious areas and doing obvious things. wasn't thrilled with this.

it's basically A+ visuals wrapped around a C+ game. i think it could be a lot better and the puzzles could've been a lot more challenging. the platforming is very mild and there are no hazards in the game. this makes the game chill, but i dont think the gameplay loop lends itself to a chill experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the wuppo beta was supposed to begin today and it didnt...

why wuppo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

The best controllers are the wii remote + nunchuk
yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/SJWSuperMario/status/774684037134688257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest