Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite/Favourite subtitle?
This poll is closed.
Revelations 11 12.50%
Resurrection 5 5.68%
Retribution 6 6.82%
All-Stars 66 75.00%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I extremely dislike Sonic Adventure 2 but people should be able to reasonably talk about why they like or dislike it. Taking monetization away from that video seems like an extremely petty thing. I hope their video will eventually not be flagged. :(

Man, really though, I'm afraid this new ruling is gonna be the death of most Youtube Channels now. A lot of my favorite videos or channels are ones where people get extremely passionate about subjects for various reasons, and it's like this new set of rules actively punishes people for enthusiastically talking about subjects. The more I see and hear, the worse it gets.

(and no, the irony of the SA2 takedown isn't lost on me, although I am still admittedly dense)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

robot roll call posted:

I just beat Deus Ex: HR, fun game! Anyways gently caress whoever decided to cram the DLC right before the last two chapters of the director's cut, it totally killed the pacing. I knew I was at the end but they made me spend 2 hours bullshitting around Totally Not Metal Gear Land earning all my skill points back first. I was 25 hours in and pretty ready for it to be over by that point.

Yeah, Human Revolution DX is a great game, but gently caress that DLC. I do not like having all of my abilities taken away from me like that. The DLC chapter itself is largely slow and boring and I can't wait to be done with it when I play the game. I appreciated almost everything else the DX version added and adjusted in the game, but that part is just a chore.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The only Metroid-y Castlevanias I'd call great are Symphony, Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow. The others were decent to bad. I don't have a ton of faith in Bloodstained because IGA has way more bad and mediocre CVs to his name than good ones.

I couldn't disagree with this more, actually. The only IGAvania I find to be particularly subpar is Harmony of Dissonance, and that's mostly because his team had no idea what they're doing on the GBA yet. I think the primary reason that I dislike Harmony as much as I do is because the game's sound files are just awful since they couldn't figure out how to properly channel the GBA's sound files, so everything just sounds like a slightly higher quality Game Boy. Several of Harmony's melodies are also just not catchy, either.

I have fond memories of every IGAvania. There are definitely some that are better than others (Order of Ecclesia), but they're all pretty great at what they do. :unsmith:

oddium posted:

harmony of dissonance is a good name

It is!

It's also interesting to think about how a lot of Castlevania games had different titles outside of Japan. For instance, Harmony of Dissonance was "White Night Concerto" in Japan. Lament of Innocence was purely just "Castlevania" in Japan, instead of being titled something like Akumajo Dracula. Aria of Sorrow's Japanese name would've translated into "Minuet of Dawn"... Lots of interesting changes made between the Japanese and foreign releases for whatever reason. For the most part, I like the titles we got much better, but "White Night Concerto" has some nice alliteration to it.

I recommend anyone who's bored to look up some of the Castlevania: the Arcade music that can be found on youtube. There are some fantastic remixes from many Castlevania games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJje5PFiY9k

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Stardew Valley has a big cast of characters, and while some of them have fairly depressing backstories or live quaint lives, I didn't find the experience of interacting with them to be unnerving. If anything, I feel like the farmer's influence on them enriched their lives in the end, so it's a pleasant thing. I should note, however, that I have not played in some time and I did not get the maximum affection rates for every character. I still think that the game is uplifting as a whole. :unsmith:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I played the Battlefield 1 beta last night for about an hour. I had fun even though I was complete poo poo at it. I guess given time I could practice and get better, and I can see the appeal in the game, but I don't think I'll be picking up the game on release because I'm generally not interested in competitive gameplay unless it's more humorous like TF2 or Overwatch.

Speaking of Overwatch, the console versions are gonna have a free-to-play weekend around Sept. 9, so I think I'll see what that's like. :unsmith:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

psvita can run psp games as long as you own them on psn

well, in most cases. They've gotta be flagged to be able to run on the system. As a result, I can play Dracula X Chronicles on my Vita, but I can't play it on PSTV. Likewise, I can't play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops on Vita or PSTV. It's annoying the way they work that way. :(

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

It's the opposite for psp games, actually, but Konami specifically asked that all their games be blacklisted. it's psvita on pstv games that have to be individually whitelisted.

they really did do that? jesus, konami

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Some of you may know that Game Grumps like Kirby's Dream Course. Recently they started playing a fan-made Grump-themed hack of the game with about 150 new, original holes. Whether you like Game Grumps or not, this is a huge loving deal if you like Kirby's Dream Course at all.

You can get the patch here.

the amount of detail involved with this is legitimately impressive. I was never a fan of Dream Course, but the work these people put into the game shows how much they love Game Grumps and Kirby's Dream Course. Very cool.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Why is it game grumps themed

The basic story is that the Game Grumps had a blast when they played the original game, so these fans decided to make a hack so they would have even more levels to play.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Snak posted:

Is anyone else excited about World of Final Fantasy just because it looks so drat cute?

Edit: okay, I know that people are. I just wanted to declare myself one of them.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm excited to see Final Fantasy characters from the older games being represented with voice acting, and the idea of Pokemon-like Final Fantasy gameplay has me curious. That said, I love the small character models, but the higher definition models reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts seem really awkward to me. This plays into my perception of the two sibling main characters, too. I don't think I like them.

I'm gonna try to remain open-minded about it and when it's released I'll be looking at reviews. As curious as I am about the game, $60 is a lot of money for me right now.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

i dont get the point of sjw mario. is it supposed to be a parody or is it serious

actually either way it's loving stupid

yeah I don't get the allure either. I thought to myself "hmm okay" after I saw the first one, and the ones after that have been met by a real :geno: face by me

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, that's valid. I'll stop.

we still love you, lizwiz :glomp:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Nierbo posted:

I looove David Hayters voice but drat his acting sucks in Peace Walker

I'm always the guy who really liked his performance in that one. :( But yeah, happy he will be in Bloodstained.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I got the PS4 version of Shovel Knight when it was released on the system and I immediately knew I made the right choice. Everything about the game is perfect and the way it is continually being updated (albeit over long stretches of time) is admirable, Kickstarter campaign or not. Plague Knight's dancing sprites are the kind of thing that makes me absolutely adore video games, retro sprite-based games especially. There's something extremely heartfelt to be found in every single frame and that's something I extremely appreciate.

Please buy and play Shovel Knight. I think it's probably my favorite $15 game I've ever played alongside VA11-Hall-A, which is a great game for different reasons. Shovel Knight would have been right at home beside MegaMan 2 on NES twenty-five years back, if not a bigger sale.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

I still wonder what the ultimate failure there was

Kojima just not being able to wrap poo poo up properly?

Konami cheaping out and rushing things?

Both, probably

That's my guess. Kojima can do great things, but he really DOES need to be reigned in sometimes. With the current generation of consoles came systems with much more power, giving him much more legwork to do something he really wanted to do. That was fantastic from a gameplay perspective, and as we can see from the unreleased Mission 51 information, he clearly wanted to do much more if Konami had given him the time and money. It would have also been welcome by the fans, since Mission 51 closes off a big plot point. Other poo poo though, like the plot? Everything involving Quiet's awkward nudity could have been toned down and actively made it a better game. MGSV does some cool stuff with its plot, but every bad decision does bring it down a peg for me, and Kojima can be credited with the worst stuff.

And Konami has been about cutting costs in games for atleast the last ten years. That has proven to disappoint fans in this specific case, but sometimes it's good to have someone come in there and say, "it's time to stop." Konami limits creativity in the worst way with their methods, but I don't want to deny that it's necessary to have a company do that sometimes. Otherwise you end up with games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII where they take ten years to release, whether the game turns out good or bad. Konami has been terrible at finding that happy medium and instead have essentially chosen to just shutter the majority of their games department and try something new. Unfortunately for them, it looks like that's proving to be an equally difficult task if they're deciding they want to take a risk on Metal Gear SurVive. This's gonna be a waiting game to see what happens.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Silent Hill movie: apparently it starred Rose instead of Harry because focus groups or some person found it hard to believe that a male parent would be so selfless for a child. Then Sean Bean's character was given lots more screentime to combat this. I think the only good thing to come from Sean Bean's part is where they're in the school or something and you see Rose in Grey World and then it does a camera trick to show Sean Bean in the real world, that sort of thing. The character change from Harry to Rose is my only real beef with Silent Hill's movie.

Revelations, uh... I saw Revelations in theaters. It is certainly a movie. I don't hate it, but I hesitate to say I like it. It doesn't take anything seriously and it would have been better if it did follow more plot beats from Silent Hill 3 in a closer fashion. I know it was trying to be different (and I like some of the different things it tried) but things like the above shown Pyramid Head fight are just awkward. The end of the movie takes the cake by showing all of the remaining plot threads that could be tied in with other movies, like the police chase into SH linking to Downpour, that sort of thing. I don't remember it exactly, but it was enough to get me to roll my eyes.

I really liked the actor they chose to play Heather. It's a shame she wasn't given a better movie to star in.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

That MG Survive trailer:

Part 1 seemed okay, aside from the fact that it was totally on a repurposed Afghanistan map. The buildings looked the exact same, the shrubbery, everything is just repurposed. Again, they didn't have to use zombies- it honestly could have been a game just about capturing more infected soldiers if they felt they really had to go that route.

Part 2 was what disappointed me most. I may be in the minority, but when I played Fallout 4, I hated defending settlements and crafting and all of that. It's time consuming, it's boring, and it makes me anxious if I'm not doing it right. This whole part felt like a lot of that- maybe less time consuming, but it was like a mixture of Fallout 4 Settlement Defense with Left 4 Dead with MGSV. It didn't satisfy me and I'm just not big into those kinds of playstyles.

I do like the idea of playing through segments of the game with 3 other party members not unlike Peace Walker. Much of the mechanics they showed looked straight ripped from Peace Walker, but updated to fit the new engine. That's good! But if you don't have a good game and setting to use those examples in, I'm not interested.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I'm really goddamn sad to hear about C. Martin Croker passing away. 2016 really does suck. Space Ghost was a big part of my childhood and he passed away at only 54 so I feel like he could have had a lot more time. :smith:

God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I started listening to the Persona 5 soundtrack and reading a few responses to the game and it was a big mistake. *wistfully looks at calendar*

With the game not releasing here for another 5 months, I'm deathly afraid of spoilers. Hell, I'm more afraid of them on SA than anywhere else since I feel like I can generally control my reading consumption on other sites. GBS can be bad for spoilers in thread titles for all manner of media though so I'm probably just going to try to avoid it unless they finally decide to crack down on that sort of thing.

Spoiling media really isn't cool. I mean I like lots of humor types, but outright ruining plot for popular series is a purplosely mean move. :smith:

• Locked thread