Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite/Favourite subtitle?
This poll is closed.
Revelations 11 12.50%
Resurrection 5 5.68%
Retribution 6 6.82%
All-Stars 66 75.00%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I got all excited about that fat chocobo, then I realized ff14 is one of the MMO ones.

That's okay, World of Final Fantasy, named that because it's not an MMO :psyduck:, will get me my fix of cute companion animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth downloading from PS Plus this month

Not if you have to clear space for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is The Scarab of Ra ever coming out on steam? That's what I want to know. I played the poo poo out of that as a kid.

You could save your game, but loading a game erased the save file. So the only mode was hardcore permadeath mode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hahaha "Pidgemander"

That's loving great.

edit: Machoke and Onyx are both named Rocky.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Blood borne is one of he best games ever made in this humble goons opinion.

Yeah. This seemed like hyperbole when I first started saying it but, as time goes by, it keeps being true.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 4, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Good. Now play Bloodborne with me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Laaaaaaaame

Edit: I'm just bitchy because I finished the Americans.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 4, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

You're referring to Mankind Divided, right?

Because I don't think you want to play Invisible War.

My favorite thing from Invisible War is that, I want to say Doom House vs. Death Hat, uses clips from its opening cutscene repeatedly throughout the movie. It's really funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I bought the $15 pack.

I am ready to make metroidvanias for all platforms.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else excited about World of Final Fantasy just because it looks so drat cute?

Edit: okay, I know that people are. I just wanted to declare myself one of them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Wait, that comes out this year? poo poo. I kinda just went "yep, buyin' that" when I heard about it and assumed it was far off.

It comes out before FFXV. I want to say October 16.

I don't really care if there's not a lot of depth. I'm having a problem where I take games too seriously and I have trouble playing really casually. So a game that is cute and neat and for babbies wouldn't be a bad thing for me to squeeze in between school and work.

Like I've been having trouble being in the right mindset ro play games. And playing a game in the wrong mindset usually leads to a frustrating and unfun experience. Which was a good lesson to learn, but now ive got limited time to play games and im constantly not in the mood to play them. I didn't end up finishing the Nioh demo, despite it being really good. Because the idea that if I didn't play it now I wouldn't get to play it at all, and being stressed out with school just collided in a terrible way.

So I ignored it and played Bloodborne all weekend instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
wait MULTIPLAYER?!?!?!?! Holy gently caress.

I mean, I guess I'm only excited if it's local multiplayer. And then only on principle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The World of Final Fantasy Collectors Edition is $120 :negative:

I'm not sure that's even a bad price, depending on the quality of the minifigures.

But I won't be paying it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One day we'll have the technology where pervs trying to catch a glance at someone in real life will cause them to have their vision be replaced with a "CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" notice.

Pervs will already have AR nude skins projected over people they want to see naked.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why didn't anyone tell me about Overcooked?!

I'm so buying that when I get home.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Lol you can play Homefront: The Revolution for free on Steam this weekend. 3 months after release.

But only for the weekend right? It's not a free ps+ game or something.

I heard that game was really bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Overcooked is so good.

My two roommates and I have worked in several kitchens together irl. It's how we all met. So we are a god damned machine at the game.

Are there any modes or points in the game where it starts penalizing you for throwing food on the floor, though? Because while all my natural food safety instincts were not to use the floor as extra counter space, it seemed to work really well.

On the like, 5th map, the earthquake one, I would just thrown food down the cliff onto the floor for them to finish and then when the ground shifted back, run it out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I only know of the game through Giantbomb but somehow I doubt the goofy cooking game about going back in time to save the world from the apocalypse via satan by cooking him a good meal will care about you throwing food on the floor.

yeah. Shame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i've read this like ten times and i still don't know what's being conveyed. are you going to use the controller as a desk or something

They are glad they bought a controller, because otherwise they would be using mouse & keyboard, and they don't have a comfortable table or desk.

I don't know what "rn" is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

it should be a crime to use a bone controller over m/k regardless of the desk situation

That pretty seriously depends on the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know where you've been, but using controllers on pc has been pretty common for a bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

yes, i myself use a 360 controller. but a steam controller ... :whitewater:

I heard that it was nice for things where you would need to use a mouse/move a cursor sometimes, since the haptic touch thing can do that. Or so I hear.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I have a question for those people who really like Dark Souls.
Did you like it immediately, or did it take a long while to like it?

I would say it took me a few hours to get used to the controls and menus and such.

Also I went the wrong direction from the beginning and thought the game was way harder than it is. Once I got those things sorted out, I was hooked.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

I bought every single game in the series (including bloodbourne) and played them for between 1 and 15 hours because I was determined to like them. It didn't actually work until DS3 came out which I fell completely in love with. I would suggest starting there. Dark Souls 1 is good but it's full of tedious bullshit (instead of fun bullshit) after a certain point. Bloodbourne seems great too but the constant awful load times plus lack of a PC version kept me from sticking with it.

Yeah, someone said earlier that DS1 was the most accessible... I think that DS3 is probably more accessible than DS1, just because it has a lot of quality of life improvements. And it's easier.

Honestly I would say start anywhere except DS2. DS2 is a good game, but it has a lot more "gently caress you, player" mechanics and encounters. A lot of level design in DS2, especially Scholar of the First Sin, seems specifically designed with the "souls is so brutally hard" reputation in mind. Also the health penalty is going to be worse for new players than experienced ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I really doubt DS3 is easier than 1 when it's your first Souls game.

I dunno. If you've played basically any 3rd person character action game, being able to evade and then immediately attack the target you're locked on to is pretty standard. Souls didn't get this until BB and DS3. Things like that make combat in DS3 much more intuitive than DS1. The weapon skills system also gives you access to powerful special moves early on. In DS1, you have have to do kicks and stuff, while DS3 basically gives you a guard-break button.

DS3's tutorial boss is probably the hardest tutorial boss outside of Bloodborne. Which doesn't really have a tutorial boss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay my point was that DS3 does not do this an expects you to beat a not particularly easy boss within five minutes of starting it.

It gives you plenty of enemies to practice on though. It's not like it's straight spawn to the boss. I would say that the first boss of DS3 is about on par with Gargoyles, which is the third boss of DS1, it's true, but it's the first boss that's actually interesting at all. Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon are both really simplistic, uninteresting fights. Taurus Demon kills himself half the time you fight him.

So yes, the first boss is harder, but it's kind of going right to the meat of the game. Glascoigne is the first non-optional boss in Bloodborne and he's probably on par with DS3's first boss.

Edit: But my point wasn't to make a straight diffuculty argument. I was talking about accessibility. You can't get lost on the way to the first boss in DS3. In DS2, like 50% of people go the wrong direction from firelink shrine. Then stumble into the Black Knight on the way to the Taurus Demon. DS3 starts you out with a straight place to go. So yeah, if you compare DS3's start the Undead Asylum, it's harder, but if you compare it to Firelink, it's way less daunting.

Snak fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 12, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I still say all the other games ease newbies in a lot better.

Also gently caress you I died like thirty times to the Taurus Demon when I first started out.

I mean, I guess it just depends. The tutorial of Undead Asylum is basically worthless for giving you a taste of what the game is like. Yes DS1 and DS2 both have long, drawn out tutorials which are really easy. So if that's beneficial for you, I can see why you would like that. I prefer a game that lets me just jump in and see what it's like. Bloodborne and DS3 both have extremely abbreviated tutorials by comparison, which, since I learn by trial and error, works a lot better for me. Since the games themselves are set up to teach you through failure, I don't find the DS1 and 2 tutorials to be very necessary. The biggest reason they are important is because DS has such weird controls compared to virtually every other game.

I'm not saying that DS1 has a bad tutorial, it has a great one, but DS3's tutorial much more streamlined and doesn't drag.

edit: At the end of the day, the are all really great games, and I recommend all of them, but I don't recommend DS2 as anyone's first soulsgame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I like demons tutorial because of the weird way it hooks into the story/setting and the fact that they let you skip it with a menu option on later playthroughs

Yeah, I really want to play Demon's Souls but I don't have a ps3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

What I like about Bloodborne is how much stuff there is that you can only discover if you poke around or backtrack or try different things out. Like when you run around with enough insight some enemies get new attacks or when you come back to a previous location after beating a boss you can trigger things that weren't present before. And there's tons of that stuff. Granted that many of those things are practically impossible to figure out without the collective brainstorming of different players but it's fun even for things that you can figure out on your own.

Bloodborne is really, really good. Like, I really like souls because I like the medieval-style setting, but BB is so polished and has such good bosses. I liked DS3 a lot, but honestly a lot of the bosses were kind of underwhelming. I haven't actually beat it yet, so I should go back and do that. I don't really care for giant monster bosses, and prefer the more human-shaped/sized ones. It's one of the things I like about DS2. Even though a lot of DS2 bosses are boring, I don't care about giant trees and gaping dragons and poo poo. The first boss of DS3 is an amazingly fun boss, but the next couple are kind of meh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Rom is probably the weakest. I really like Shadows, and Micolash is okay once you learn how he works. Witches are a fun gimmick boss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One thing I really didn't like is that they removed the ability to follow up heavy attacks with quick attacks. There's a bunch of weapons that could do this in DS1 that can't in DS2, and it's part of what makes combat feel slower.

But I've got probably over 200 hours in ds2 despite it being my least favorite soulsgame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

besides, ornstein is there. do you think ornstein walked across the ocean?

If it's not too deep...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

My guitar hero guitar finally arrived today and I'm falling in love with the series all over again. I started on Expert and got owned, I'm way more rusty than I thought I'd be. Goddamn this was a good idea for a game series. :allears:

Also now you can play souls with a guitar controller.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I played most of Asylum and some of city. City didnt engage me at all. They somehow made flying aroind a city as Batman super boring. They need to make a game that's more like Assassin's Creed. No wait, hear me out: I dont want to play as Batman in the crazy superdystopia full of only badguys. I want to play as him in regular Gotham, teaming with innocent life. I want to solve crimes for regular people and have a reputation system. Take all the bullshit thats supposed to be in Watch_Dogs and make a Batman game with it.

Like have a system where there are crimes constantly happening, and you can't stop them all. But if you give intel to the police, they can stop some of it, and if you cripple the criminal organizations, crime goes down. Help stop corrupt politicians, help root out bad cops. Crime goes down.

Integrate Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system. Timmy's parents got killed and he blames Batman. He robs a bank. You stop him by throwing a fire extinguisher at his head. He goes to prison. But later, when a story villain causes a prison break, he's out and looking for a piece of Batman. Everytime he sees a fire extinguisher, he beats an innocent person to death with it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is Divinity: Original Sin part of a series? The subtitle made me think it was a sequel to something...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Are there any good horror shooters that succeed at being horror? I ask not because I want to play one, but because I'm interested in an academic sense. It seems like the shoter genre is inherently a power trip, regardless of difficulty, and that clashes with what makes horror work. Ergo why Doom 3 wasn't fun and Resident Evil became a silly action movie when it shifted to a third person shooter.

I guess there's Dead Space, but I've heard it also succumbs to action creep by the time of the third game.

There's that lovecraft game. I forget what it was called. It did pretty well in the beginning, but I quit after the giant shootout with the FBI. The beginning of the game is really dope though. Ammo is limited, the really dangerous things don't care about bullets. The damage system is such that jumping off the roof a house can cause you to break your leg, and you will now be limping away from the enemies.

edit: Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The actual shooting parts of Dark Corners were awful, the rest wasn't too bad though.

Yeah. The atmosphere was great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

earlier that day...

I don't care for Overwatch.

That's one of my favorite cutaways in the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You know what the most fun weapon is? It's the rubber bullet SMG. It's loving hilarious. It just knocks people out, but you can run around running and gunning like a fool.

• Locked thread