Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

How do NVMe's generally work when they're not used as the system drive? Can I get one to put games on and see really fast load times, or is there still going to be a huge bottleneck on account of it not being the system drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

kliras posted:

How do NVMe's generally work when they're not used as the system drive? Can I get one to put games on and see really fast load times, or is there still going to be a huge bottleneck on account of it not being the system drive?

You won't see notably faster load times than a SATA SSD since that's not a use case where it really pulls ahead, but it won't be bottlenecked, no.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

There is no bottleneck from not being the main system drive, assuming it's connected to a full speed port. Being the drive with the OS on it doesn't make a drive faster to access.

OTOH right now NVMe drives offer very little advantage in game loading times compared to even a bog-standard sata SSD. NVMe drives are literally able to send data to the CPU faster than the CPU can process it. You will never notice the difference without a stopwatch.

This may change in the future, as devs change things to take advantage of the new consoles having fast storage. So if you're buying a SSD and have space to add a NVMe drive, you may as well get NVMe. But that's not happening instantaneously. Buying a NVMe drive right now specifically to make games faster is not a useful purchase.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I wonder if things like SRIOV will ever make it to consumer space, if there is a use case. Perhaps if you have a central PC that a few people in a house are running VMs remotely but thatís pretty techy.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Ah, I see. I didn't know it was already that bottlenecked. We'll have to see if DirectStorage/RTX IO will offer something in the future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

priznat posted:

I wonder if things like SRIOV will ever make it to consumer space, if there is a use case.

My guess is "not until the next version of Windows, at the earliest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Killer_B posted:

I have been looking at getting a 1-2TB nvme drive for a new build, folks seem to recommend the SN550 at the minimum, it seems as all the recent chia hype has made the 2TB models get socked with the scalper/farming tax.

Outside of say, the SN750s, were there any other manufacturers I might look at outside of Samsung?

It would be getting used as a boot drive; the 1TB models rose a bit, but not as ridiculously as the 2TB models.

I just ordered one from B&H for $225. Newegg is taking backorders at that price too set to ship the 15th.

The only place I saw a price increase was Amazon which had them only available from 3rd party sellers for $260.