Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New best value Gen 4 drive? https://www.techpowerup.com/review/adata-xpg-atom-50-1-tb/

5000/4500 R/W, solid random read/writes, good real-world performance. A Gen 4 controller that runs cool under heavy load, even with low airflow and no heatsink. $120 for 1TB, which is the price the SN550 was at six months ago. Wild.

It's adata though, so who knows what you're getting if you buy this after the launch batch.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ADATA is consistent rising

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently WD My Books (HDD) come with mandatory hardware encryption. Does that make data recovery impossible/a PITA in the case of the drive dying?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Apparently WD My Books (HDD) come with mandatory hardware encryption. Does that make data recovery impossible/a PITA in the case of the drive dying?

A self-encrypting drive has an Authentication Key (the password you type in) and a Data Encryption Key (the actual key used to en/decrypt what's on the drive). If you don't turn on encryption, they use an Authentication Key that's all zeros. That means as long as the DEK still exists, recovery is trivial.

OTOH if the DEK is gone I think recovery would be impossible. I dunno if self-encrypting HDDs keep a backup of the DEK on the platters, or if it only exists in the controller board. Kinda doubt it. If not, and something happened to completely destroy the controller, you'd be poo poo outta luck.

However, most of the time HDD death is from the moving parts, not the controller. So IMO you have very good odds of getting data recovery by a $$$ professional company with a dead drive.

(anything you would need to pay $$$ to have data recovery for, you should have backed up and consider offsite / cloud.)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Old SSD (CT512M4SSD2) I've had for a few years in my gaming PC that was originally pulled from a enterprise server:

New Evo 970+ I just picked up tonight:

Only took an hour to prep and clone the drive and it is absolutely noticeable with even general tasks. I mean I knew I was dealing with old tech and it certainly wasn't a bottleneck or slow by any means, but holy poo poo

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I just had a samsung NVME drive die on me today. Started getting data integrity errors and throwing alerts in the event log. Luckily I had a barely used 1TB Liteon replacement disk (only 2tbw) pulled from a Dell tower I could swap the OS to while I wait for RMA. I had to use clonezilla to clone it, using the rescue flag, as macrium poo poo itself on some bad sectors. Turned out to just be a couple cellphone videos which wouldn't transfer over.

Getting the 970 out from under the giant Thermalright CPU heatsink was such a miserable experience that I don't think I'll be in a rush to swap it again. I'm not sure about the temp drive though - I haven't heard much good about Liteon disks' reliability. I just wish I could find data on drive cache or expected performance for this particular disk, but there's nothing really available that I can find

Haven't had an SSD die since my original OCZ vertex 2 barfed up the system32 folder so I guess I was due. None of my other samsung SATA drives have given me any issues at least, going back to my old 128GB 830 which I finally retired to occasional USB enclosure duty.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use always the lowest m.2 slots on motherboard first. gently caress putting the ssd behind GPU and CPU.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

I use always the lowest m.2 slots on motherboard first. gently caress putting the ssd behind GPU and CPU.

Right now it doesn't make a difference that is noticeable outside of benchmarks, but in the hypothetical future of DirectStorage and other things that actually use nvme bandwidth that's not ideal. Generally the upper slot is connected directly to the CPU, and any additional slots will be supported by the chipset. Depending on which platform you're on that may represent a possible bandwidth constraint.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Ihmemies posted:

I'd have loved to do that instead, but using the bottom NVME port would have disabled 2 SATA ports on my board and I have more (and larger capacity) of those than I do NVME disks.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Is there a recommended bootable USB utility to initiate a secure erase on an NVMe drive? My Surface Pro 4's SSD is dying (whea bluescreens, boot media not found, can't reinstall windows because the drive disappears whenever I try to touch the partitions) so I would like to sell the SP4 for parts, but the device is held together with glue so I can't easily remove the SSD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does this work

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/microsoft-surface-data-eraser

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'd definitely start with that MS-provided surface tool Thants pointed to.

For the general case (or if that tool isn't working), the best ways to do an ATA Secure Erase:
1. Look for a tool from the drive manufacturer (Samsung Magician, WD Dashboard, Crucial Storage Executive, Adata SSD Tool Box, et cetera)
2. Look in your BIOS/UEFI, they may have a function for doing an ATA Secure Erase -- however these are often very poorly documented
3. download a minimal linux that runs from a live USB, and follow these instructions

#1 is by far the easiest, and failing that I'd honestly pick #3 over #2 for anyone who can figure out the basics of linux enough to target the correct drive in /dev. The mobo UEFI utilities are just so badly documented, they skeeve me out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Be a big cool boy and use a bootable Linux drive and use nvme-cli to initiate your secure erase

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm upgrading to a larger main drive on my Z370 board with 2 m.2 nvme slots on it. Can I do the cloning procedure simply using the 2 slots and some swapping around, or will I save a lot of headaches by getting an external nvme enclosure? Thanks thread. Going from a Samsung 500gb 960 EVO to a 2TB 970 EVO. With the way game installs are going, the 500 just isn't cutting it any more.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

willroc7 posted:

Can I do the cloning procedure simply using the 2 slots and some swapping around,

yep

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

future ghost posted:

I just had a samsung NVME drive die on me today. Started getting data integrity errors and throwing alerts in the event log. Luckily I had a barely used 1TB Liteon replacement disk (only 2tbw) pulled from a Dell tower I could swap the OS to while I wait for RMA. I had to use clonezilla to clone it, using the rescue flag, as macrium poo poo itself on some bad sectors. Turned out to just be a couple cellphone videos which wouldn't transfer over.

Getting the 970 out from under the giant Thermalright CPU heatsink was such a miserable experience that I don't think I'll be in a rush to swap it again. I'm not sure about the temp drive though - I haven't heard much good about Liteon disks' reliability. I just wish I could find data on drive cache or expected performance for this particular disk, but there's nothing really available that I can find

Haven't had an SSD die since my original OCZ vertex 2 barfed up the system32 folder so I guess I was due. None of my other samsung SATA drives have given me any issues at least, going back to my old 128GB 830 which I finally retired to occasional USB enclosure duty.
Replying to myself but I got the SSD back today. Not a bad time on turnaround at 2 weeks. I'd read that Samsung usually gives refurb replacement disks for RMA returns, but I actually received a retail 970 evo that had no writes or hours on it. Seems to match CDM results I've seen online and easily beats the old hosed up disk for read/write times.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thank you! And is it ok to do the cloning in windows with macrium or should I boot to a usb or something? For the main OS drive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

willroc7 posted:

Thank you! And is it ok to do the cloning in windows with macrium or should I boot to a usb or something? For the main OS drive.

Macrium can do it directly, from inside windows on the source drive. Macrium 8 has a new automatic resize feature so expanding the OS partition to fit the bigger disk is easy.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Coolio. Thanks again. For those interested, this is the deal I got on the 2TB 970 Evo for 180+tax:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15620650-samsung-edu-epp-2tb-samsung-970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-pcie-solid-state-drive-ssd-180?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cage-free egghead posted:

Only took an hour to prep and clone the drive and it is absolutely noticeable with even general tasks. I mean I knew I was dealing with old tech and it certainly wasn't a bottleneck or slow by any means, but holy poo poo

Great for you, but I never felt any difference in real world between the 840 Evo, 850 Evo, M550, MX500 and EX920

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
SN 770 is out. This is the cheaper WD_BLACK line, DRAM-less, but tweaktown was impressed by the performance

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10040/wd-black-sn770-1tb-ssd-performance-that-matters/index.html

Out of the gate pricing isn't great, though.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
One of our machines has a HighPoint RAID controller with 4x 4TB NVMe drives attached. After running for a year without issues, in the space of about a month, the controller has reported that 3 of the 4 drives failed, and the most recent failure brought down the entire array. A reboot seems to have cleared the issue with an array rebuild, but SMART isn't reporting any issues with any of the drives. Should I be more worried about the controller than the drives themselves at this point?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
HighPoint eh? Yikes is all I have to say. Maybe they are better than they were 15 years ago.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got a Highpoint HBA that seems to struggle with 8x12TB and 4x4TB spinning disks, and it seems to be a heat issue with the card/controller itself. Happens a lot if the room gets too warm, doesn't seem to be affected by disk load as much.

I've been meaning to replace it, but the NAS recovers fairly gracefully with a reboot, so it's been low on my priority list.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What other options are there for hardware NVME pcie cards, raid or not, but to not require PCIe bifurcation? I was only aware of HighPoint.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Volguus posted:

What other options are there for hardware NVME pcie cards, raid or not, but to not require PCIe bifurcation? I was only aware of HighPoint.

Broadcom, Microchip/Adaptec has a controller but it's really enterprise focused and mostly is in HPE servers.

Alternatively you could get a PCIe switch card and fan it out to U.2 using cables and do any RAID stuff in software.
https://www.serialcables.com/product-category/pcie-gen3-microsemi-host-card/
https://www.serialcables.com/product-category/gen4-microsemi-host-cards/

I'm biased towards the microsemi/microchip ones for reasons :haw:

All these are pricey enterprise ones there might be other cheapo brands like highpoint too

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tbqh at that point, just buy a used Intel DC P3xxx/4xxx off Ebay

edit Don't buy the 4000 series from a second-hand source without guarantees, it looks like there is a higher chance that people will just be trying to make a quick buck off of dead units

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 15, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Never buy a DC 4xxx

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WhyteRyce posted:

Never buy a DC 4xxx

uh oh

is there something I need to know about my 4500s :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

uh oh

is there something I need to know about my 4500s :(

That whole Cliffdale line of stuff was just a buggy, late mess that seriously damaged Intel's reputation in that space after the previously well regarded Fultondale P3xxx stuff. It was always amusing seeing how many bricked ones I'd find in a discard pile, or ones from a discard pile that would brick themselves after just plugging them in.

I mean, you're probably fine though if you've been running them ok for some time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I applied new firmware after the silliest bug poo poo came out a few years ago, yeah. Didn't know if there was something more.

I guess it would only make sense to purchase from a reputable vendor that'll process returns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We used a lot of nvme ssds for stress testing the pcie switches and the stack of dead p4500s was huge compared to p3700s, like 10x.

Thankfully the RMA was easy but they would just send us more p4500s which would then die lol.

The intel 750s (RIP) were our favs though because they hotplugged like a champ. The 3700s were pretty good for that too. Everything else had pretty lovely driver support for that (kind of understandably)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

priznat posted:

Broadcom, Microchip/Adaptec has a controller but it's really enterprise focused and mostly is in HPE servers.

Alternatively you could get a PCIe switch card and fan it out to U.2 using cables and do any RAID stuff in software.
https://www.serialcables.com/product-category/pcie-gen3-microsemi-host-card/
https://www.serialcables.com/product-category/gen4-microsemi-host-cards/

I'm biased towards the microsemi/microchip ones for reasons :haw:

All these are pricey enterprise ones there might be other cheapo brands like highpoint too

Jesus, and I thought that Highpoint was expensive at $500. Well ... it's either that or stick with an HEDT platform longer. The advantage of a card like this with multiple nvme slots is that you can just buy them (the drives) at your leisure. No need to throw in the big bucks all at once. Ok, thanks, that's quite some food for thought.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volguus posted:

Jesus, and I thought that Highpoint was expensive at $500. Well ... it's either that or stick with an HEDT platform longer. The advantage of a card like this with multiple nvme slots is that you can just buy them (the drives) at your leisure. No need to throw in the big bucks all at once. Ok, thanks, that's quite some food for thought.

Yeah unfortunately not really many options for that even in the prosumer space. Maybe in a little bit once the market gets more saturated but nvme/sas/sata trimode stuff is still pretty new.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

We used a lot of nvme ssds for stress testing the pcie switches and the stack of dead p4500s was huge compared to p3700s, like 10x.

Thankfully the RMA was easy but they would just send us more p4500s which would then die lol.

The intel 750s (RIP) were our favs though because they hotplugged like a champ. The 3700s were pretty good for that too. Everything else had pretty lovely driver support for that (kind of understandably)

I will find uses for our P3600 and 3700s until the end of time

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I will find uses for our P3600 and 3700s until the end of time

They and the 750s were excellent drives! The 750s AICs were really great, and good value too! With 5 year warranties! The 900/optane stuff just didn't hit the same. It had some weird edge cases that would lock up certain tests, I can't remember the root cause but it wasn't us, it would do it on direct attaching to a server. Hotplugging again, the worst test.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I've done many many thousands of hot plugs to Optane drive before so the explanation probably has some nuance in there

Also the first gen has a hilariously outdated NVMe feature set so half of everyone's scripts probably barfed the second the tried to do anything on them

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I wasn't working on it first hand but they seemed to have some issues with the original batches. It was basically "oh we got some of these new 900p drives to replace the 750 eol'd drives!" then a week later "they keep breaking the scripts!" then a week later "We located a ton of 750s so we will be good for a while" and had a massive stockpile of EOL'd 750s, laff.

Intel being one of the few vendors that did their own drivers instead of just using whitebox was nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

protip if you're doing a format command on gen1 optane drives you're going to have to wait...awhile. probably have to increase some command timeout values if you've got anything set to 300 seconds or less

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 16, 2022