Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«39 »
smax
Nov 9, 2009

Gaj posted:

Hello thread, I just slapped together the overclockers dream from the PC parts thread; https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3774409 and generall have an i5K, 16 gigs ram, new Asus z270 mobo, ge1080, and 2 sdds. I have 2 Samsung ssds, one 120gigs that serves as my OS drive, and that is working fine. My other is an 850 EVO 500gig, and windows will not recognize it, even though Samsung Magician does. Suggestions?

Have you initialized the drive? Open up Disk Management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Is there any risk to buying a Toshiba XG3 (OEM version of the RD400) 1TB NVME drive to use as the OS drive in my desktop? I seem to remember the OEM version of some Samsung NVME drive had some real issues being detected in Windows, among some other issues.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I know next to nothing about SSDs, right now my PC has a pretty old 1 TB hard drive holding everything. From my understanding I can get an SSD and put a lot of the important things on that (operating system, games), but store the rest of files (pictures, video, etc.) on the extra hard drive and have access to both while the SSD vastly speeds up loading for games / boot / etc. Is this right, and if so, is there a good SSD on the market right now people recommend? I noticed the OP hadn't been updated since 2016 and not sure if tech just hasn't improved or if there's new info. Thanks all!

You're understanding is correct. The recommendations at the bottom of the 2nd post of this thread are good and actively updated based on feedback from this thread.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Biscuit Hider

Got a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB after reading this thread. Made it the primary drive on my XPS 8910, set AHCI on and enabled UEFI (Old setup was legacy due to bringing OS drive over with no changes). Reloaded Windows 10 and updated to latest Insider version (16226).

I thought my old SSD was fast. This is stupid fast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

«39 »