Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Unlucky7 posted:

I know everyone says to ignore the OS optimizations in Magician, but what is this RAPID mode thing? I can't use it since I am on Windows 10, and apparently they do not offer support for it, yet. Is it actually useful?

It's not worth it and it's snake oil. It'll also rob you of 4GB of system memory. Magician will show the drive getting unworldly benchmarks, but they don't stand up to real world scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Unlucky7 posted:

Finally got an 850 EVO. Once I got everything set up and turned on AHCI, starting up windows now works like a dream. Can't determine game speed loadup though: Most of my (Steam) games are off on a partition on my HDD, and the one game I had that was on my main disk partition (Witcher 3) stopped working after I copied it over to the SSD, and hasn't been working even though I redownloaded it. I am using GOG Galaxy though, and I am suspecting it is just that program being a piece of poo poo. I will get a copy of the game from GOG itself sometime today. I can say that WoW felt a bit snappier loading though.

I know everyone says to ignore the OS optimizations in Magician, but what is this RAPID mode thing? I can't use it since I am on Windows 10, and apparently they do not offer support for it, yet. Is it actually useful?

EDIT: Moved my Overwatch install to the SSD. Before, when I start up the game, maps take a while to load, and even when they did, character models are not loaded in yet. Now I load up before everyone else. I'd call this an improvement :)

Nice! Looking forward to grabbing an 850 EVO 500gb, hoping to get some good Black Friday deals.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

It's glorified ramdisk, don't turn it on.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Should I be expecting a bunch of deals on ssd's come Black Friday?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's funny that Samsung Magician is so named. Smoke and mirrors.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

It's funny that Samsung Magician is so named. Smoke and mirrors.

Evidently the version coming out that supports the 960s will be "vastly improved." Which probably means it'll wipe out your MBR to save space on the first release, or have the performance tweak and secure erase buttons switched. Whoops!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Chelb posted:

Should I be expecting a bunch of deals on ssd's come Black Friday?
The x400 if people still don't realize it's a good drive :ssh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

MBR

Out, demon!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The x400 if people still don't realize it's a good drive :ssh:

I was thinking of the Mushkin Reactor 1tb, actually

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chelb posted:

I was thinking of the Mushkin Reactor 1tb, actually

Mushkin Reactor 1TB has a rated write endurance is 144TB with a 3 year warranty at $240. The Sandisk x400 1TB has 320TB write end. with a 5 year warranty at $240.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Mushkin Reactor 1TB has a rated write endurance is 144TB with a 3 year warranty at $240. The Sandisk x400 1TB has 320TB write end. with a 5 year warranty at $240.

If you looked at the second post in this very thread, you would know that a typical user writes only a few dozen GB's onto their hard disk every day. Never mind that SSD's regularly outperform their endurance specifications.

and the Mushkin just performs better, while costing about the same.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 3, 2016

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Is having faster SSD write speed worth losing 2 years off of your warranty? I don't think so. But to each their own.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Unless you're using an application that could benefit from a slight bump in IOPS, benchmarks for SSDs aren't worth poo poo. As numerous people have said, even the SSDs we'd never be caught dead using are usually 'good enough.' Hell, I'm using a 240GB Intel 730 as my boot, even with the gimped writes, because I wanted an MLC boot drive and didn't feel like paying for an 840 Pro at the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

td4guy posted:

Is having faster SSD write speed worth losing 2 years off of your warranty? I don't think so. But to each their own.

I would say so. Are you really going to be using that same SSD after 5 years?

5 years ago I had an 80GB Intel X25-M. Great drive but I have no use for an 80GB SSD today. 3 years ago I had a 240GB Mushkin Chronos that's still kicking, but today I'm only going to use a 512GB drive (which I picked up for $99 on Slickdeals) or a 1TB drive (which I could get for $150-$200)

The drives are faster and bigger, so who wouldn't upgrade?

And I throw my old 256GB drives into family members machines or my PC at work where they aren't going to punished with heavy use.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Wild West days of SSDs are over, and with some caution you can buy bargain devices just fine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do be mindful of the customer service track record of the brand you're buying.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Question about m.2 connectors. If something takes a 2280, should that mean that it can also take a 2260 or 2242?

It's the 22mm connector that matters, right? And the length just matters for fitting in the box? I don't want to assume and mess up a thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

Question about m.2 connectors. If something takes a 2280, should that mean that it can also take a 2260 or 2242?

It's the 22mm connector that matters, right? And the length just matters for fitting in the box? I don't want to assume and mess up a thing.

Most boards have the holes for the smaller sticks as well, and newer boards even have holes set for 22110 drives. But the answer to your question is yes, so long as you look at the board and notice more than one screw retention hole.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I would say so. Are you really going to be using that same SSD after 5 years?

5 years ago I had an 80GB Intel X25-M. Great drive but I have no use for an 80GB SSD today. 3 years ago I had a 240GB Mushkin Chronos that's still kicking, but today I'm only going to use a 512GB drive (which I picked up for $99 on Slickdeals) or a 1TB drive (which I could get for $150-$200)

The drives are faster and bigger, so who wouldn't upgrade?

And I throw my old 256GB drives into family members machines or my PC at work where they aren't going to punished with heavy use.

Well, I am still using two of my 840 Pro 256GB SSDs. They are wonderful for an OS drive. Probably 4 years old now?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

22xx is the length of the drive in mm: 2280 is eighty millimeters long.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, and be sure you're not buying an MSATA drive. They might look similar but they're incompatible. Similarly, part of the confusion with M.2 is that the slots can be linked to the SATA interface or your PCIe interface, and you can only find out which by double-checking your board's manual. Most SATA-linked M.2 slots are in 1-2 year old laptops. People getting all excited to plug a 960 into those are going to get a rude surprise. Open boxes for everybody!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If they're lucky those slots have a PCIE x2 mode :kiddo:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If they're lucky those slots have a PCIE x2 mode :kiddo:

Isn't the keying different?

This is going to be shoving in DRAM modules backward all over again.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But the answer to your question is yes, so long as you look at the board and notice more than one screw retention hole.

So worst case scenario is that I buy or make a slide-on bracket to extend the board, I guess? Just did a micro ITX build and come to find out that the 2242 SSDs are cheaper and faster than the, I assume, less common 2260 spots the board is set to take.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Rastor posted:

Isn't the keying different?

This is going to be shoving in DRAM modules backward all over again.

I'm not sure about the keying, but on my Z97 board I have two M.2 slots. One is a Gen3 x4 slot, and the other will do SATA or a Gen2 x2 slot.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
There are different keys but it's a mess. B key is usually used for SATA or PCIe x2 SSDs, M key usually used for PCIe x4 SSDs. However it is permissible under the standards to make a SATA SSD with M keying. Also I believe a lot of motherboards have sockets that are both B and M keyed, regardless of the actual compatibility. m.2 is confusing

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, and be sure you're not buying an MSATA drive. They might look similar but they're incompatible. Similarly, part of the confusion with M.2 is that the slots can be linked to the SATA interface or your PCIe interface, and you can only find out which by double-checking your board's manual. Most SATA-linked M.2 slots are in 1-2 year old laptops. People getting all excited to plug a 960 into those are going to get a rude surprise. Open boxes for everybody!

The spec allows M.2 sockets to support both PCIe and SATA (the two interfaces are assigned different pins on the connector), and most laptop chipsets should have the free SATA and PCIe lanes to hook both interfaces up, so there's no excuse for something ~1 year old not having a dual mode socket.

This being the PC industry, lots of them will be single mode anyways. As you say, hooray open boxes!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
What are the odds of a PCIe SSD completely dying?
I have a Sandisk SSD here that I pulled from a dead 2013 Macbook air and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I bought a cheap $5 adapter from china that adapts it to 4x pcie but it doesn't even enumerate on the PCI bus, but does get a tiny bit warm.
There are other adapters in the ~$30 range but I don't know whether it's worth trying again or not.

SSD Model: SD6PQ4M-256G-1021

I know the device isn't bootable on my motherboard's chipset, but it should at least show up in the device tree right?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

What are the odds of a PCIe SSD completely dying?
I have a Sandisk SSD here that I pulled from a dead 2013 Macbook air and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I bought a cheap $5 adapter from china that adapts it to 4x pcie but it doesn't even enumerate on the PCI bus, but does get a tiny bit warm.
There are other adapters in the ~$30 range but I don't know whether it's worth trying again or not.

SSD Model: SD6PQ4M-256G-1021

I know the device isn't bootable on my motherboard's chipset, but it should at least show up in the device tree right?

Show us what adapter you bought

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
This one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Con...hIAAOSwFNZWzsk~

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's possible. I had a Crucial SSD 4 years ago that blue screened on boot. Same model swap worked fine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If it was in a Macbook Air, it may have killed itself.

...yeah ^^ what they said, and you should at least have an unknown device on the pcie bus.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Ordering a 512GB 950 tonight :dukedoge:

Between this silly fast SSD, 4x4GB of RAM, a 4790k, and a GTX970 I'm thinking this build will be done for a while

The thread consensus is still either format the drive to capacity and leave space open, or format to smaller than capacity and go hog wild, right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

metallicaeg posted:

Between this silly fast SSD, 4x4GB of RAM, a 4790k, and a GTX970 I'm thinking this build will be done for a while

The thread consensus is still either format the drive to capacity and leave space open, or format to smaller than capacity and go hog wild, right?

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060

just a thought

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Presumably they've already had the 970 for a while, upgrading from a 970 to a 1060 seems like a waste of money and effort.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah it's not new. Previously had an H97 board and an i5 that were sold, switched to a Z97 board with 2x M.2 slots and the i7, and the 970 was from February that replaced a donated 550Ti.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

metallicaeg posted:

Dude the 960's should be out within weeks.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah unless the 950 Pro you got was on sale you might want to cancel that order if you still can

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, if anything, the 960s have a built-in heat spreader. The 950 got pretty warm, especially in those slots under the GPU.

The 950 might get marked down once the 960s are in channel, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Looks like I'll be waiting then