Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Doing a short Lunch and Learn presentation on NVMe over fabrics tomorrow and set up a demo system, it's pretty neat

Initiator: Raptor POWER9 with Mellanox ConnectX 5 RDMA (gen4) capable 2x100GbE NIC

Target: Raptor POWER9 with Mellanox ConnectX 5, PCIe gen4 fanout switch to a bunch of x8 gen3 NVRAM cards

Too easy to saturate a 100GbE link though, I have never done bonded links otherwise I would try that out..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ilkhan posted:

My current setup is a WD Black 250 (windows boot and whatever games I'm currently playing drive), samsung 850 pro 256 (dedicated linux drive), and a 1TB spinner (dedicated storage drive and rest of the steam library). When I build my Ryzen 3700 rig I want to go all m.2, trading the 850 pro and the spinner for a 1TB m.2 as a windows drive and using the black for the linux drive. Besides the inland premium, what should I be looking at? Or is the Inland just that good? A 2TB option wouldn't be horrible either.

The Inland Premium isn't that special, it's just significantly cheaper than any other quality TLC NVMe drive. Other drives that provide good value at somewhat similar prices are the HP EX920/EX950, ADATA SX8200 Pro, and any of the Phison E12 drives (Sabrent Rocker, Corsair MP510, etc.).

Edit: I should probably add that the general opinion of almost everyone in this thread is that we've reached a point where you're not going to notice the difference between the speed of TLC NVMe drives like the ones listed above. You might see it in benchmarks, but in practice just buy whatever the best value is from a trusted brand and save your money for other spec bumps.

With the exception of QLC drives like the Intel 660P there seems to be a price premium for 2TB NVMe drives at this point. IE, you pay more than double the cost of a 1TB to get a 2TB.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2019

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
I was looking up prices of 2TB drives in response to the previous post, and I found a poo poo-hot deal on a 2TB E12 drive: https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU002TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07QR8LD7Y/ ($229.99 as of the time I'm posting this)

Only slightly more than double the price of 1TB E12, cheapest I've ever seen for any TLC 2TB drive. (That being said, there are a lot of them in the upper-mid-200s, whereas the last time I checked it was over $300 starting.)

Kairos fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 27, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

priznat posted:

Doing a short Lunch and Learn presentation on NVMe over fabrics tomorrow and set up a demo system, it's pretty neat

Initiator: Raptor POWER9 with Mellanox ConnectX 5 RDMA (gen4) capable 2x100GbE NIC

Target: Raptor POWER9 with Mellanox ConnectX 5, PCIe gen4 fanout switch to a bunch of x8 gen3 NVRAM cards

Too easy to saturate a 100GbE link though, I have never done bonded links otherwise I would try that out..

LACP can't increase bandwidth beyond what a single link is able to carry for one flow, probably not worth doing on the initiator (might have value on the target with multiple initiators). Maybe if you're doing some kind of fancy MPIO iSCSI config you'd be able to aggregate traffic over both links but that's more work beyond the LACP setup.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

LACP can't increase bandwidth beyond what a single link is able to carry for one flow, probably not worth doing on the initiator (might have value on the target with multiple initiators). Maybe if you're doing some kind of fancy MPIO iSCSI config you'd be able to aggregate traffic over both links but that's more work beyond the LACP setup.

Ah yeah, I’m not really a network guy and I had assumed you could do something to up it by combining links. However I could make two separate links and put subsystems on each, sort of split the nvme devices between em. But the system is just a demo anyway and :effort:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lacp implementations tend to suck rear end. for targets, static link aggregation is the way to go

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 27, 2019

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That being said would you think it'd be good for jamming into an Xbox One? The current generation is swappable right? I've wanted to do that for my daughter since her S is only 500gb

Xbox One isn't designed for hdd swap, it's doable though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

priznat posted:

Nvmeof is neat as hell. Do you know what the "line rate" is for IOPS?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Kairos posted:

I was looking up prices of 2TB drives in response to the previous post, and I found a poo poo-hot deal on a 2TB E12 drive: https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU002TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07QR8LD7Y/ ($229.99 as of the time I'm posting this)

Only slightly more than double the price of 1TB E12, cheapest I've ever seen for any TLC 2TB drive. (That being said, there are a lot of them in the upper-mid-200s, whereas the last time I checked it was over $300 starting.)

660p is under 200 and is perfect for an external backup drive

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That being said would you think it'd be good for jamming into an Xbox One? The current generation is swappable right? I've wanted to do that for my daughter since her S is only 500gb

It's not designed to be hot-swappable, but it isn't all that hard if you know how to handle a screwdriver and electronics. You do need a SATA USB adapter (or an empty UBS drive enclosure) to partition the drive from a PC as well as a thumb drive to reinstall the Xbox OS from.

To partition the drive, the script by Xfix comes in handy (xboxonehdd-master): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1dVghgrDEb7d0FieWdBeVh5VWM
Just select the option to partition without a preexisting drive, reinstall the drive, start the Xbox and do a full reset, then reinstall the Xbox OS from the thumb drive (downloadable from Microsoft's website).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lambert posted:

It's not designed to be hot-swappable, but it isn't all that hard if you know how to handle a screwdriver and electronics. You do need a SATA USB adapter (or an empty UBS drive enclosure) to partition the drive from a PC as well as a thumb drive to reinstall the Xbox OS from.

To partition the drive, the script by Xfix comes in handy (xboxonehdd-master): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1dVghgrDEb7d0FieWdBeVh5VWM
Just select the option to partition without a preexisting drive, reinstall the drive, start the Xbox and do a full reset, then reinstall the Xbox OS from the thumb drive (downloadable from Microsoft's website).

Huh, I could pull that off. I have a dock I use for random HDDs, I'll just use that. Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

660p is under 200 and is perfect for an external backup drive

A QLC NVMe drive seems like an odd choice for an external backup drive. USB NVMe enclosures are pretty expensive and I would expect that a QLC drive would run into bit rot issues sooner than a TLC drive.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I wonder how this will effect the price of SSDs:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14596/toshiba-western-digital-nand-production-partially-halted-by-power-outage

quote:

Considering that the Yokkaichi Operations produces at least 1/3 of the global NAND flash output (let’s assume that dollar share more or less corresponds to bit share) and half of its production for the quarter was lost because of the incident, this means that the industry will miss approximately 1/6 (or 16.5%) of the global NAND supply in Q3. Whether or not this will create a deficit on the market that will cause significant price hikes depends on multiple factors and is something that remains to be seen.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Anybody familiar with 12gig SAS raid controllers able to support ssds in dual-port mode?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

A QLC NVMe drive seems like an odd choice for an external backup drive. USB NVMe enclosures are pretty expensive and I would expect that a QLC drive would run into bit rot issues sooner than a TLC drive.

USB NVMe enclosures are $50 or so.

1 year retention is fine. Anything needing longer storage time is on a cloud host, so this is purely for time machine level backups

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Malcolm XML posted:

USB NVMe enclosures are $50 or so.

1 year retention is fine. Anything needing longer storage time is on a cloud host, so this is purely for time machine level backups

A 2TB 2.5” usb3 hdd runs about $60 and is massively more needs suiting as a time machine level backup device than a $200 qlc ssd plus a $50 enclosure.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh, I could pull that off. I have a dock I use for random HDDs, I'll just use that. Thanks!

One additional tidbit: The boot animation will be missing after a fresh partitioning until the next system update happens. If you don't want to wait and want it back immediately you need to download the bootanim-File for your system from that Google Drive, power down your Xbox & disconnect the drive, connect it to your PC again and copy it inside the System Update partition's A and B folders (bootanim.dat in both).

After that, should be smooth sailing: I've had a modded drive in my Xbox for more than a year now and never experienced any problems, works just like stock (but way faster).

And this is where you can download the Xbox OS ("I need to update my console offline"): https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-updates-solution

Lambert fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 29, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like we're getting higher SSD prices:

quote:

Toshiba & WD NAND Production Hit By Power Outage: 6 Exabytes Lost
Toshiba Memory and Western Digital on Friday disclosed that an unexpected power outage in the Yokkaichi province in Japan on June 15 affected the manufacturing facilities that are jointly operated. Right now, production facilities are partially halted and they are expected to resume operations only by mid-July.

Western Digital says that the 13-minute power outage impacted wafers that were processed, the facilities, and production equipment. The company indicates that the incident will reduce its NAND flash wafer supply in Q3 by approximately 6 EB (exabytes), which is believed to be about a half of the company’s quarterly supply of NAND. Toshiba does not disclose the impact the outage will have on its NAND wafer supply in the coming months, but confirms that the fabs are partially suspended at the moment. Keeping in mind that Toshiba generally uses more capacity of the fabs than WD, the impact on its supply could be significantly higher than 6 EB with some estimating that it could be as high as ~9 EB.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14596/toshiba-western-digital-nand-production-partially-halted-by-power-outage

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lambert posted:

In other news, major businesses have no clue how to use battery based back ups to help prevent losses during power outage. Or on site generators.

\/ Okay, they had batteries, but no generators?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 29, 2019

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1144647147603800064

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SlayVus posted:

\/ Okay, they had batteries, but no generators?

I'm guessing generators are not feasible for the sheer amount of power they're consuming, those ovens don't exactly sip power.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most factories use way to much power to have generator backups to be viable and you can't pause the process in a low power mode. The batteries were probably more there so it would fail safe rather than somehow scramble to find another power source or connection which wouldn't matter if it was a general power outage.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

From a quick search for power consumption:

quote:

Analysis results indicate that the average power consumption for the fabs is 2.18 kW/m2
Assuming they have a footprint in the 10ks of m2, that works out to 100MW - basically you would need a small power plant as a backup generator.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Back when some important components in our main cabin at work blew and Schneider Electric quoted like 14 weeks for the part to arrive, we had a several megawatts in diesel generators on site. We still had a backup supply line feeding into the plant. But a few departments with higher requirements had to still schedule the capacity between each other.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BobHoward posted:

A 2TB 2.5” usb3 hdd runs about $60 and is massively more needs suiting as a time machine level backup device than a $200 qlc ssd plus a $50 enclosure.

have fun carrying that poo poo around with you while you wait for data to trickle out old man!!!!

a gumstick ssd backup drive is v needs suiting in a different way than a massive HDD that will die if you look at it funny.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Enjoy your filled to the brim QLC backup being unreadable after leaving it on the shelf for a few months.

Backups are meant to be reliable, speed is a teritary concern.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's why I chisel all my data onto stone tablets I keep in the basement.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sounds like the time I took the bus to the learnhall. I had a term paper due but my parents' computer printer was out of ink. So, I decided to take the bus to the learnhall, which is what they called school at the time. I put a floppy disk in my trapper keeper, which was the style at the time. Now, to ride the bus you had to pay twofer. Twofer flinchin' they'd say. Anyway, the important thing was that I had a floppy in my trapper keeper, which was the style at the time. They didn't have caddies then, because of the 90s. The only case you could get was a big plastic thing in neon colors that held all your folders and

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lambert posted:

It's why I chisel all my data onto stone tablets I keep in the basement.

Careful about water damage wearing down your etchings!!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Sounds like the time I took the bus to the learnhall. I had a term paper due but my parents' computer printer was out of ink. So, I decided to take the bus to the learnhall, which is what they called school at the time. I put a floppy disk in my trapper keeper, which was the style at the time. Now, to ride the bus you had to pay twofer. Twofer flinchin' they'd say. Anyway, the important thing was that I had a floppy in my trapper keeper, which was the style at the time. They didn't have caddies then, because of the 90s. The only case you could get was a big plastic thing in neon colors that held all your folders and

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

nielsm posted:

being unreadable after leaving it on the shelf for a few months.

Why is that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Because NAND cells need to be refreshed eventually. The more bits you're storing in a cell, the sooner it has to happen. Four bits means you need to be able to discern between 16 charge levels.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

This. HDDs are for backup, not loving NVMe drives in USB enclosures!

Malcolm XML posted:

have fun carrying that poo poo around with you while you wait for data to trickle out old man!!!!

a gumstick ssd backup drive is v needs suiting in a different way than a massive HDD that will die if you look at it funny.

You would not carry your backup drive around with you! You would, ideally, have a backup drive at home and then a remote backup so you could, gasp, restore from the remote backup if necessary! Imagine not having to even carry around an expensive "gumstick" in an overpriced enclosure! :rolleyes:

And no, an HDD will not "die if you look at it funny." :rolleyes: As long as the drive isn't flawed and fails prematurely, you'll most likely get years of reliable use out of it as long as you don't loving drop it or something. (Again, you wouldn't carry it around with you!)

Lambert posted:

"Hmm guys, our profits are tanking, it sure would be a shame if we 'accidentally' had a power outage...." :thunk: :jerkbag:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

do we need to do a refresher on the different requirements for backup media, portable media, and performance media

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nah man it's your money, buy whatever the hell you want.

Anyways, here are some deals (Adata sales on Rakuten with code AD15):
SU800 2 TB 2.5" SATA for $168
SX8200 Pro 1 TB NVMe for $119

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

How do the Adata XPG drives hold up against drives like the Inland Pro (Premium? I forget which is better) or the HP 920? A lot of sales have pushed those drives to $100/1TB and I was wondering if $20 for the XPG would be worth it or if the difference is even noticable.

Added question: I'm upgrading to a Ryzen system and I wanted to have two NVMe drives-a 1TB boot and then a 2TB storage (Intel 660p). The MSI Carbon mobo has two m.2 slots but I was thinking I may go with the Tomahawk and use a PCI to m2 adapter, since I don't need other PCI slots (and they'd be disabled on the Carbon anyway). Is there a pitfall there I'm not seeing?

Humerus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 1, 2019

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sabrent Rocket; JAPE12C (just another phison e12 controller) on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTQTNV...TB%20NVMe%20ssd

1TB for $100, 2TB for $220.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Humerus posted:

How do the Adata XPG drives hold up against drives like the Inland Pro (Premium? I forget which is better) or the HP 920? A lot of sales have pushed those drives to $100/1TB and I was wondering if $20 for the XPG would be worth it or if the difference is even noticable.

Added question: I'm upgrading to a Ryzen system and I wanted to have two NVMe drives-a 1TB boot and then a 2TB storage (Intel 660p). The MSI Carbon mobo has two m.2 slots but I was thinking I may go with the Tomahawk and use a PCI to m2 adapter, since I don't need other PCI slots (and they'd be disabled on the Carbon anyway). Is there a pitfall there I'm not seeing?

The ADATA 8200 Pro and HP EX950 are essentially the same drive. IIRC they perform slightly better on paper than the E12 drives like the Inland Premium, but you'll never notice in real life and probably not even in benchmarks. I'd save the money.

I'm assuming you meant PCIe instead of the way old PCI standard? I'm not sure what advantage you'd get by freeing up a M.2 port you're not using anyway, but other than possibly not being able to boot off the drive using the adapter (motherboard dependent) I don't see any issue with that.

Seamonster posted:

Sabrent Rocket; JAPE12C (just another phison e12 controller) on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTQTNV...TB%20NVMe%20ssd

1TB for $100, 2TB for $220.

Interesting to see that MicroCenter and Sabrent, who both sell drives under their own names, are continuing to drop prices even after the announcement of the power outage last week. There must be an incredible glut of NAND in the pipeline.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm assuming you meant PCIe instead of the way old PCI standard

No they meant PCI standards for handling of financial information

(what do you think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah PCIe, and on the Tomahawk board there's only one m2 slot (that would have a TLC drive in it), hence using a PCIe adapter for a storage drive. Mainly I want to get rid of extra cables in the case.