Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

canyoneer posted:

I ordered two, and I'm happy to report that they shipped this morning.

you actually got your order? others weren't so lucky

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

We regret to inform you that your recent order 1744XXXX for the WD Blue PC SSD WDS250G1B0A - Solid state drive - 250 GB - internal - 2.5-inch - SATA 6Gb/s has been cancelled due to a pricing error on our Website. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Your payment method will not be charged for the item. In the event you have already been charged for the item, a credit will be promptly issued. Any authorization hold on your credit card account will be released in accordance with your financial institution's holds policy. Please contact your financial institution for more information.

Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Dell Customer Care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They probably shipped the few they did have at that price then cancelled everyone else after they ran out.

Mine was cancelled as well

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wondering if you guys can help,

I installed a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive in a Dell Insiron laptop that had an open M.2 slot but came with Windows 10 pre-installed in a standard HDD. I used Samsung's data migration tool to clone the drive to the new M.2 SSD. I have tried changing the boot order in the BIOS, but unless I disable the original drive in the BIOS, I can't get it to boot from the SSD. I want to format the original HDD and use it as internal storage. Is there a step I'm missing?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you remove the HDD can you boot from the SSD? If so, plug the HDD into another computer and just format it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SlayVus posted:

If you remove the HDD can you boot from the SSD? If so, plug the HDD into another computer and just format it.

That worked, not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

Browsing through that cesspool of PCMasterRace over on Reddit out of boredom. I noticed in one of the flairs that someone claims to run six SSDs in a RAID0.

WHY?!

I thought it had finally filtered through to people in the last few years that any any medium budget Intel CPU and a $600 graphics card got you practically the same performance as burning a pile of money on an Extreme Edition and 4x Titans in SLI.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Can someone recommend to me an affordable but highly reliable external hard drive? Does not have to be gigantic 1 - 2TB mostly for word files and some pictures. Speed, size really come secondary to reliability and price. Any help is appreciated.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What do you guys think would be faster? 2x M.2 Samsung 850s 1TBs in Raid 0 or an m.2 960 Pro 1tb? I'm not going to be doing either of these any time soon, but I was just thinking of possible upgrade paths in the future.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Raid 0 m.2 pcie of course :haw:

But seriously the 960 will be the better bet for avoiding the raid hassles alone and will have better throughput performance to boot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

priznat posted:

This is one of our tests that we have to run regularly, and every time I wonder "who the gently caress is gonna RAID 0 m.2 PCIe SSDs in an Intel NUC?"

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

What do you guys think would be faster? 2x M.2 Samsung 850s 1TBs in Raid 0 or an m.2 960 Pro 1tb? I'm not going to be doing either of these any time soon, but I was just thinking of possible upgrade paths in the future.

Why go with a 1TB 960 Pro when the 2TB is only $1,500.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

Some boards with 2 m.2 slots restrict each to PCIE x2 instead of x4 when both are in use, so that's another thing to weary of.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

There's no M.2 slot on this MB (Asrock H97M Pro4) but it got a BIOS update for NVMe boot. I guess it supports it via a PCIe->M.2 adapter board. Are those just passthrough?

thebigcow posted:

AFAIK, yes. NVMe drives can currently be attached to PCIe through either an actual PCIe slot, an appropriate m.2 connector, or an appropriate u.2 connector.

I've got some christmas amazon giftcards to burn now, and I wanted to up my 256 to a larger NVMe - boot isn't a requirement, worst case I'll toss GRUB on a USB keyfob to boot from.

Usage: Linux development. I spin up VMs to dick around with, so I don't think I need the 960 pro, but I can definitely feel the IO hit on my current SSD (Crucial M4) when I'm rebooting them.

So some practical questions: Does PCIe 2.0 limit the speed? I don't currently have a DGPU so the 3.0 slit is open, but I was considering adding one, which would dump the NVMe to the 2.0 x4 slot.

What PCIe->M.2 adapter will work? I obviously don't want to be running in SATA emulation mode.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Second Sun posted:

Some boards with 2 m.2 slots restrict each to PCIE x2 instead of x4 when both are in use, so that's another thing to weary of.

That was only for Z170 because it only had 20 lanes, 16 were reserved for the PCI-E slot. Z270 has 24 lanes and this shouldn't be the case.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Second Sun posted:

I'm weary of a great many things these days.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You're still limited to the 4k random IOPs of a single drive when you're dealing with applications that operate 4k random. The only benefit you'll get with RAID0 SSDs is in sequential performance. I had three 1TB 850Es in RAID-0 and saw no performance between in my 4k performance, just sequential.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
loving hell, out of eight SSD's I've bought in the last six years, seven of them were either Intel or Samsung. Guess which one just took a poo poo?

Yeah, the one Crucial drive I own, the one with only a couple of TB written and under a hundred hours of power-on time. It's in my bedroom HTPC so I figured it wouldn't really matter, I just wanted it to boot faster, so I picked up a 250gb BX100 when it first came out. Now it's doing the whole 'isn't discovered by the BIOS 9 out 10 times' thing.

Luckily I got it to work long enough to image it onto an 850 Evo, but now I have to deal with Crucial's horrible return system. Goddamn it, I know better.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Ample posted:

Can someone recommend to me an affordable but highly reliable external hard drive? Does not have to be gigantic 1 - 2TB mostly for word files and some pictures. Speed, size really come secondary to reliability and price. Any help is appreciated.

There's really only one option here: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT500B/dp/B01AVF6UO8?th=1

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

But seriously the 960 will be the better bet for avoiding the raid hassles alone and will have better throughput performance to boot.

Is...is that a bunch of m.2 pcie on u.2 sleds?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Is...is that a bunch of m.2 pcie on u.2 sleds?

Yup! Each are at x2, seagate xm1440s 960GB.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

That was only for Z170 because it only had 20 lanes, 16 were reserved for the PCI-E slot. Z270 has 24 lanes and this shouldn't be the case.
I don't have particularly high hopes for manufacturers not just taking 170 designs and slapping the 270 chips on them

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Idiot question from an idiot: installing a new M.2 drive in my desktop this week, I was having issues getting the securing screw out of the standoff. Matter of fact, the whole standoff and the goddamn socket that was holding it into the motherboard pulled right out. Any recommendations for securing this drive so that it's not just flapping in the wind out of its' socket, or am I gonna be stuck using double-sided tape as a poor man's standoff? Am I risking anything by having it flapping there?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Put a screw through the hole that was formerly a standoff and use either a spare motherboard standoff or a nut to secure it and the drive? I wouldn't leave it loose, it might wobble its way out over time. Worst case scenario, electrical taping down the end of it should be OK. As long as you don't short it out or cover up something that needs ventilation I would expect it to be alright.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Have any mobo makers come up with clever no tool m.2 mounts? Seems like it should be doable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They will.

Is it time to update or adjust the OP recommendations? I don't quite think so, but I may be missing something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

big time bisexual posted:

you actually got your order? others weren't so lucky

Gonna put an asterisk here and say that it was supposed to be delivered Wednesday, but is in UPS package sorting hell right now with no estimated delivery date available.

What Dell giveth, UPS taketh away.

quote:

Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later.
01/11/2017 9:51 A.M. We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay.
01/11/2017 5:16 A.M. We have updated the delivery information for your package. / The address was corrected.
01/11/2017 12:25 A.M. Arrival Scan

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eletriarnation posted:

Put a screw through the hole that was formerly a standoff and use either a spare motherboard standoff or a nut to secure it and the drive? I wouldn't leave it loose, it might wobble its way out over time. Worst case scenario, electrical taping down the end of it should be OK. As long as you don't short it out or cover up something that needs ventilation I would expect it to be alright.

Yeah the problem is it's noticeably shorter than most standoffs. But I'll see if I can find a bolt/nut of the appropriate size to make a poor man's standoff, thanks

Apparently it's pretty common with my motherboard family (ASUS Z97) because google is full of people complaining that the screw is more or less fused with the standoff or that the standoff broke off the mobo. What the hell.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

canyoneer posted:

Gonna put an asterisk here and say that it was supposed to be delivered Wednesday, but is in UPS package sorting hell right now with no estimated delivery date available.

What Dell giveth, UPS taketh away.

FYI but that means it's going back. Dell had UPS and FedEx hold and update the delivery addresses so they're returned. A few people were able to intercept them by going down to the pickup offices and showing the order/shipping confirmations and an ID when they've been held, but for most with the above, they were sent back.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SourKraut posted:

FYI but that means it's going back. Dell had UPS and FedEx hold and update the delivery addresses so they're returned. A few people were able to intercept them by going down to the pickup offices and showing the order/shipping confirmations and an ID when they've been held, but for most with the above, they were sent back.

Well, nuts to that. It was worth a shot anyway

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I think I have a problem. I'm going to putting together my new pc soon and I currently plan to put my new Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (currently being used as my OS boot drive in my pc) into the new one and my old Samsung 840 EVO 120gb back into my old pc.

The problem I think I have is that I never did the secure erase after using the Samsung Data Migration tool when I initially swapped out my 840 for the 850, and just now when I tried to do a secure erase for the old content on my 840 it did not work because the 840 doesn't appear. I'm using a SATA USB cable exactly like what I originally did with doing the Data Migration in the first place.

So my question is: is it possible for me to say do the Data Migration again but this time from the 850 EVO to the 840 EVO without having gotten rid of the data on the 840 EVO first? If not then how do i got about returning the 840 EVO to factory condition? Seeing that it does not appear in the Samsung Magician software for me to use secure erase.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
anyone have experience with the cheaper SSDs at 240gb? Anything $80 and over is out of my price range right now, which sadly includes the samsung

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

anyone have experience with the cheaper SSDs at 240gb? Anything $80 and over is out of my price range right now, which sadly includes the samsung

The Sandisk SSD Plus is my go-to for a cheap hard drive replacement for old computers. You can also find used Samsung 840 Pros on ebay for $60-$70. They're hard to kill so are a relatively safe bet as far as used drives go.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

asciidic posted:

The Sandisk SSD Plus is my go-to for a cheap hard drive replacement for old computers. You can also find used Samsung 840 Pros on ebay for $60-$70. They're hard to kill so are a relatively safe bet as far as used drives go.
Is the MLC NAND version supposed to be an improvement? I heard bad things about these drives before.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Is the MLC NAND version supposed to be an improvement? I heard bad things about these drives before.

They're slow (still faster than a hard drive) but I've had good luck with the older version not dying so far, and am assuming/hoping the newer version is just as good or better at lasting 2-3 years with regular use. Of the cheapies I've also used the Adata SP550, PNY XLR8, and Crucial BX100, and I've seen all of them fail within a year. ymmv of course.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sandisk is one of the few companies that will honor warranties with relatively little hassle as well

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Is there still gonna be SanDisk branded storage (USB & SD cards) now that WD own them, or are we likely to see lots of WD branded portable storage?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sandisk is probably going the way of HGST, ie enterprise/prosumer oriented with better warranties and service with mostly product lines that don't directly compete with WD's.

Though Sandisk is still a name worth marketshare especially with smartphones and cameras, so we'll probably still see all SD cards with the branding.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The WD Blue has some fucky firmware issues, so hopefully we do get to keep the straight original x400 and the like w/o branding or software modification.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Potato Salad posted:

The WD Blue has some fucky firmware issues, so hopefully we do get to keep the straight original x400 and the like w/o branding or software modification.

Aren't the WD Blues just rebranded Sandisk X400s currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What's the word on Samsung's supply of 960 EVOs? They seem still backordered everywhere in Canada and even USA right now (not counting lovely Amazon/Newegg sub-sellers charging a hefty markup). I'll be in California between February 10-19, so I wouldn't mind shipping to my partner there if there's any chance of it being in stock + delivered by then.