Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Whether or not NVMe is faster for loading x game is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. SATA is old loving tech. NVMe is new tech designed for solid state media. Get on board goons. There are many technical reasons it is a better technology but as with everything, if you don't have bleeding edge bux, feel free to buy older stuff.

The idea that everyone who can afford it should buy NVMe because it's "new tech" is dumb. You buy NVMe because you need/want the performance and are ready to pay for it, whether the tech is new or old is what's irrelevant. Unless someone specifically profits from NVMe speeds or they have a virtually unlimited budget, the money is better spent on larger slower SSDs or a better video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

redeyes posted:

Whether or not NVMe is faster for loading x game is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. SATA is old loving tech. NVMe is new tech designed for solid state media. Get on board goons. There are many technical reasons it is a better technology but as with everything, if you don't have bleeding edge bux, feel free to buy older stuff.

You say this, but usage case is also important.

I built my wife a fantastic NVMe computer, but was somewhat surprised that while her load times were FANTASTICALLY better than her spin disks were, they were not "instant". Load screens still popped up, and while they filled quickly, it wasn't what I was quite expecting.

So when I built my computer just now, I went with a SATA III SSD. It's still "goddamn fast" compared to my old spin disks, and I can't see that it's any different from what my wife has.

The TL;DR here is that I probably overspent for her machine. No big deal. BUT, the point here is that NVMe may be new tech, but at 2x the $/GB, NVMe is still somewhat niche. If the price was closer, then maybe I'd agree with your point; however, we're not there yet. That being said, SATA is going to be around for some time yet. I'm not sure that I'd relegate it to "old tech" status just yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's an apocryphal story I remember reading when the first Intel PCIe/U.2 drives came out, where some guy said he got contacted by SOE support because his client was registering a suspiciously high speed of 'generation,' meaning his client was rezzing the world much more quickly than others, and they thought he might've found some exploit. Probably bullshit, but hey.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I adamantly theorize that one of the factors permitting HEDT owners to hold on to 2500k and even Core systems for so long was the massive usability boost provided by the commoditization of SSDs.

This is no joke. I've refurbished Core2Duo machines and blown the minds of end-users with the results when all I did was stick in 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Throw in even the cheapest dedicated GPU and the system is strong enough to handle today's common computing tasks without breaking a sweat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

This is no joke. I've refurbished Core2Duo machines and blown the minds of end-users with the results when all I did was stick in 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Throw in even the cheapest dedicated GPU and the system is strong enough to handle today's common computing tasks without breaking a sweat.

Makes you wonder why no one's marketed a 'revolutionary upgrade program' for 'PCs older than seven years' and marketed it squarely at Fox News and OAN viewers (for the old age skew, not ideological).

"Send away your computer and for the low, low price of $500 you can turn your old clunker of a computer into a new speed demon!"

...when all they're doing is putting Windows on a 250GB bulk-grade SSD and pocketing the rest of the cash.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is there any speed advantage for SSD optimised filesystems?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is there any speed advantage for SSD optimised filesystems?

If you're running Linux, sure. Otherwise, nope.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProjektorBoy posted:

I can definitely attest to this. They think you're magic or something.

However there is an exception of some sort is cheap poo poo laptops with an SSD. Either the SSD was below poo poo tier or the rest of it is too much of a shambles to take advantage of it. My last boss asked me for a recommendation, ignored it to buy this nasty AMD thing for $400-500 US. It was so poo poo it couldn't even update after 8 hours where even the poo poo office ones with an HDD could do in 2 at most. What I recommended him was ~$800 meeting every requirement with upgrades on sale. Hell, the cheapest option was just to put a SSD in his old one. I giggle at the thought of him trying to use that thing.

Edge case strikes again?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

The idea that everyone who can afford it should buy NVMe because it's "new tech" is dumb. You buy NVMe because you need/want the performance and are ready to pay for it, whether the tech is new or old is what's irrelevant. Unless someone specifically profits from NVMe speeds or they have a virtually unlimited budget, the money is better spent on larger slower SSDs or a better video card.

Exactly. Optane is even newer tech but it would be a rare use case that would benefit more from a 118GB Optane than a similarly priced 500GB 960 evo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Potato Salad posted:

^

I adamantly theorize that one of the factors permitting HEDT owners to hold on to 2500k and even Core systems for so long was the massive usability boost provided by the commoditization of SSDs.

I think there’s a lot of truth to that. I recently had to yank out an ancient laptop out of my closet for some troubleshooting work I was doing(needed a hardware serial port in my driveway) - this is a Centrino 1.7ghz single-core Dell business laptop, mind you, it’s -really- old.

But it booted up fast, I updated Firefox, downloaded what I needed, fixed the vehicle, and was loving around on the forums when I realized ‘holy poo poo, this thing is like 14 years old’. The only way it was remotely usable is that, the last time I needed it, I stuck an 840evo in a mSATA-to-PATA adaptor, cloned the OG hard drive and threw it in. That $90 investment made all the difference in the world.

Of course, it’s running XP, so it’s a security nightmare and I only use it for this one thing, but I was still shocked how well it performed considering it’s advanced age.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Potato Salad posted:

^

2500K is not HEDT but otherwise OK, yes, my Nehalem laptop is still fine except for the power-efficiency bit, largely because I swapped in an SSD in like 2012 or something.

HEDT is like a hexacore Westmere-EP or a hexacore Sandy Bridge-E or an octocore Ivy-E and yes, there is pretty much no reason to abandon those systems unless you know that you need to.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redeyes posted:

lol looks like someone bought into the NVMe hype and got burnt despite all the easily available evidence to the contrary out there

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like my nvme drive. I have another larger slower one for files, but if I'm working on a project with a decent amount of files / size / or video editing, it flies and was what. £150

coke
Jul 12, 2009
I was going to upgrade the 2TB 850 EVO that I got when it was on 'special' for 'only 600 something' to 960 NVMe when I migrated off a 3770k to 8770k.
But lol @ paying 1.2k or almost double the price of the SATA drive I already have with little real world usage gain in my use cases.

Also of course I jumped onto the 2TB micron SSD deal and and now it's being used as an awesome 300~400MB/s external USB 3.1 disk :v:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I got a 500 GB NVMe drive for a decent price last year when I was building my last computer but after trying out regular SSD in my laptop later I'd definitely buy a bigger, regular SATA SSD if I was in the same situation. I don't do any work that requires such high speeds so I mean it's nice that files are copied so fast but that's basically the only time I notice and not even every time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So yeah, Micron must really want to sweep these out the door: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/448291/micron-solid-state-drive

It's Rakuten, so use PayPal. I wouldn't give that company a valid credit card if they offered 99% off.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That price is so low.. I bet those things brick themselves with the quickness. According to micron's page they are rated for like 400TB written. Incredibly low for that much NAND.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Strangely that 2TB 850 EVO is rated for 300TB written while the 860 EVO has 1200TBW.

Also micron is building few fabs too, so maybe the price is really coming down.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

coke posted:

Strangely that 2TB 850 EVO is rated for 300TB written while the 860 EVO has 1200TBW.

Also micron is building few fabs too, so maybe the price is really coming down.

I guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm over here remembering the Tech report SSD torture test.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So yeah, Micron must really want to sweep these out the door: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/448291/micron-solid-state-drive

It's Rakuten, so use PayPal. I wouldn't give that company a valid credit card if they offered 99% off.
They have to make room for the successor (the Micron 1300 / 5300 SSDs namely)

Also, these have the same PCB as the MX300, so this is one way of clearing up stock of the 2TB SKUs of that particular product since retailers are loath to price the MX300 2TB downwards when the MSRP of the MX500 is $60 lower

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't seem to see many reviews on that thing.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Sold out :(

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
a little bit more $$ but here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...075S3035&cm_sp=

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

outta stock

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t know what happened to Intel enterprise drives but we are having the worst luck with the P4500 (2.5” 1TB) drives. They don’t work for hotplug like the P3700s did (constant bluescreens) and are way less reliable, with controller failures left and right. Weird!

Got a stack of them on my desk to RMA.

Also it seems like the 750s are finally EOL’d, is the only replacement the 900p in 2.5”? Bah!!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ouch. Controller failures really shouldn't be happening at this late stage in SSD dev. What a crock.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I know! The 3700s were rock solid, hopefully it’s just a bad batch but we don’t have confidence in them anymore so are looking to swap to something similar. Still not many options at that price range for 2.5” drives it seems, HGST is $$$, samsung ones are hard to get and most everything else is m.2/aic.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I know! The 3700s were rock solid, hopefully it’s just a bad batch but we don’t have confidence in them anymore so are looking to swap to something similar. Still not many options at that price range for 2.5” drives it seems, HGST is $$$, samsung ones are hard to get and most everything else is m.2/aic.

Honestly it does surprise me that is happening. Maybe there is some reason other than just Intel makes poo poo controllers (which they have some record of doing).

A small funny story is I was in a staging lab, we had a Intel 750 1.2TB in a staging server with the case off. loving around after hours as nerds do sometimes.. with beer. Dude knocks a beer off a desk/table about 10 feet away from the server. A small string of beer shoots across the room and lands square between the heatsink and the NAND on the 750... instant bluescreen death. That poor 750 died instantly and never came back to life. ;_;

Intel replaced it within 4 days from what I remember.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You know the story is legit because of the mixture of alcohol and configuration management

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

“Million to one shot, doc!”

I’m hoping the 900Ps work out for us because the endurance on those is great (5PBw??). It’ll take us a while to kill those puppies! 4800X is even better but way more up front cost.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Samsung just released the 970 EVO and 970 PRO

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12674/samsung-announces-970-pro-and-970-evo-nvme-ssds
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12670/the-samsung-970-evo-ssd-review
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-970-PRO-512GB-and-970-EVO-250GB-500GB-1TB-NVMe-SSD-Review

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 24, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

My TLDR compared to the 960: 50% higher write endurance, 5 instead of 3 year warranty and some performance improvements that I would never notice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm sure those performance benches only apply when the drives are at less than 75% capacity. :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

My TLDR compared to the 960: 50% higher write endurance, 5 instead of 3 year warranty and some performance improvements that I would never notice.

But it's new tech so you should get them anyway :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Aren't there some minor performance regressions for the 256GB 970 Evo, Vs the 960?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hi thread, I have a stupid newbie question.

I need a new/bigger SSD. I know only enough about compooters to be dangerous. I have been holding off on upgrading because I am very loathe to invest a day reinstalling everything.

Is it feasible to copy over the entire image of my current SSD onto a new one such that (a) it isn’t sufficiently complicated that I’ll likely gently caress it up and (b) will require less of my active attention than reinstalling Windows, all its updates and all my programs?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there anything stopping you from leaving the OS install on the current SSD and just using the new one as storage?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I’m already using an HDD for storage and there’s only room in the case for two drives. Besides that, no. The current SSD is also ~5 years old (man, have prices come down since then) though so probably getting on about time to replace.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hi thread, I have a stupid newbie question.

I need a new/bigger SSD. I know only enough about compooters to be dangerous. I have been holding off on upgrading because I am very loathe to invest a day reinstalling everything.

Is it feasible to copy over the entire image of my current SSD onto a new one such that (a) it isn’t sufficiently complicated that I’ll likely gently caress it up and (b) will require less of my active attention than reinstalling Windows, all its updates and all my programs?

Absolutely, it's easy to do. Just download Macrium Reflect, a popular imaging tool. The free version will suffice.

https://blog.macrium.com/techie-tuesday-cloning-a-disk-764bed0ad6e1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
kick (more of) your spinning iron to the curb:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11517863-sandisk-1tb-ultra-ii-sata-iii-2-5-internal-ssd-204-99-ac-shipped