Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Crossposting from the upgrade thread, which I hope is ok:

So I'm outgrowing my 256gb 850 Pro SSD in my GA-Z77x-UD3H system and found a nice deal on a 500gb 960 EVO M.2 drive which I pulled the trigger on. I ordered a PCI-e adapter for it as well and my understanding is I will also have to mod my BIOS to be able to boot from it, which is my intent. Has anyone something similar and got an M.2 NVMe drive running on an older board like this? I'm beginning to worry it might be a little outside my technical capabilites. Also, is it OK to clone my existing SATA SSD to the new M.2 or should I do a fresh install? I'm still running Windows 7 and would prefer not to upgrade to 10 at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If you get it working, please post a guide and bios files. It'll make a lot of z77 owners happy.

I basically followed this post:

http://www.win-raid.com/t1737f36-Gigabyte-Z-X-UD-H-revision-adding-NVME-support-for-Samsung-Pro.html

Modding/flashing the BIOS was super easy if you just follow the win-raid guide instructions. I spent A LOT of time trying to clone my windows 7 install over but was never able to, so I did a clean install of 10. It boots up perfectly now and does about 1200 MB/s sequential read/write. That seems to be an appropriate speed for nvme, right?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Microcenter has a sale on the 1TB samsung 960 evo right now:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/471493/960_EVO_Series_1TB_NVMe_M2_Internal_SSD

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I need some help with an 860 EVO SATA 1TB SSD I just got, I hope this is the right place to post. I tried cloning an old Intel 120gb SATA SSD to this new drive using Samsung's Data Migration tool, but after disconnecting the old drive, I was unable to boot to the new one (disk read error in BIOS). I tinkered around in the BIOS but couldn't figure out anything so I reinstalled the old drive and tried cloning again. Now I still can't boot to the new drive and when booted to the old drive, the new one only shows one partition with a 31mb (not gb, mb) partition and nothing else. I can't try cloning to it again and I don't know how to even get it back to square one. Did I brick it somehow?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Klyith posted:

First off wipe the new drive with diskpart (careful to select the right drive). Then try to format the whole drive with a regular ntfs partition and copy a few gigs of files to it to make sure it's writable correctly & you don't have a DOA.

After that, try macrium reflect instead of the samsung tool.

I tried this and diskpart only shows the 31mb volume so that's call I can clean/format/etc.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Yes but before I tried to clone it, it showed up correctly as 1TB.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

DrDork posted:

Go download something like Paragon Partition Manager and load that up and see what it sees on your drive. If it only sees that 31MB partition, yeah, something's dicked up with your drive. More likely, the clone software made that 31MB partition the primary partition for some reason and you should see it and one or more other partitions. Delete them all, make one single large NTFS partition, and use Macrium Reflect or some other non-Samsung program to do the transfer.

So I found other people have had this problem. They used "Atola Technology HDD Restore Capacity Tool" to restore the capacity. Unfortunately this software was shuttered in 2017 and the versions I can find to download do not work on this windows 10 machine. Apparently this has something to do with a BIOS bug in the older Gigabyte board and the host protected area on the drive? Does anyone know if an existing tool I can use that will help me fix this? Thanks guys...

Sources:

https://superuser.com/questions/58753/windows-7-detects-my-1-tb-disk-as-a-disk-with-only-31-mb-space

https://community.wd.com/t/wd10-eads-problem-from-1tb-to-31mb/14105

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

DrDork posted:

That's a weird issue to be having these days. I'd still give Paragon Partition Manager a shot and see what it sees on the drive.

PassMark also has a tool that claims to be able to adjust the HPA on a drive: https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/

I'll try passmark but paragon and every other partition manager I've tried reports just the 31mb partition and nothing else.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

DrDork posted:

That's a weird issue to be having these days. I'd still give Paragon Partition Manager a shot and see what it sees on the drive.

PassMark also has a tool that claims to be able to adjust the HPA on a drive: https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/

So I ran PassMark and it did show like 930gb reserved. It let me adjust it and now the reserved space says 1mb instead, but still the drive only shows up at 31mb physical. I tried clean in diskpart again and still no joy.

Klyith posted:

Reporting the 31mb partition isn't meaningful, you need to completely re-initialize the drive. Just deleting the partition doesn't work because what's messed up is lower than that. Can you carefully follow the diskpart instructions I posted before, the clean operation should completely reset the drive including re-initializing the area that's been corrupted. You're not using it to erase and format the partition.

After that, try samsung magician which has a factory reset operation.

The factory reset in samsung magician doesn't appear to work. When I try to select the erase data step it says this drive is not supported. It does still see the disk as an 860 EVO 1tb.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Klyith posted:

So this is on the GA-Z77x-UD3H mobo you posted about like 2 years ago? Are you on the most up to date F20e bios? And did you do a nvme BIOS mod like you were talking about earlier in the thread? Because I would revert any weird stuff like that. At this point I can only imagine that you can't reset because it wasn't a one-time error during the clone, but an ongoing problem. Attempts to clean / reset the drive are just producing the same results.

Also, that mobo I guess has both intel and marvell sata ports so be sure you're using the ones controlled by the intel chipset.

Does the BIOS seem to recognize / show capacity of the drive?

:cheers: :v:

Actually this is an even older board, a GA-965P-DS3. And I'm sure the BIOS are not up to date.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Klyith posted:

good god wtf

um, looks like on that you want to set the ICH8R southbridge into RAID mode -- that will enable AHCI and the only options are legacy IDE and RAID. AHCI may give you better results talking to the SSD. Or maybe try the purple ports which hook to the add-in controller? if that succeeds in reading the SSD it still probably won't boot and you'll have to reinstall windows.

but honestly with that drive being hosed up and you not having a PC modern enough to unfuck it, sending it back is looking like a decent option. I don't think you've permanently bricked the drive but I think the fix is to reset it in a PC that's not ancient. why are you putting a 1TB ssd on a 15 year old PC?

It's my mom's hand me down system she got from me. It runs fine and has windows 10, but it has a 120gb Intel SSD and she's just out of room. I thought it would be easy to clone it to a new drive but, alas, I was very wrong. I have access to several other more modern PC's if that'll help me. I connected it briefly to my coffee lake desktop but it wouldn't even recognize it as a samsung SSD. It just said unrecognized device under device manager so I gave up on that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I was able to complete the cloning operation successfully with a new 860 evo. I booted to macrium reflect's rescue media and cloned from there, removing the old drive and using the same connections for the new one. I think I'm going to RMA the old one. I've already spent a ton of time trying to fix it. Thanks for all the input from the thread.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

I was able to complete the cloning operation successfully with a new 860 evo. I booted to macrium reflect's rescue media and cloned from there, removing the old drive and using the same connections for the new one. I think I'm going to RMA the old one. I've already spent a ton of time trying to fix it. Thanks for all the input from the thread.

To bring some closure to this I did successfully RMA the original drive. Samsung's support was excellent and RMA'ing was a breeze. They paid for 2-day air both ways and replaced the drive. I will set it up tonight and see if it's brand new or not.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'm upgrading to a larger main drive on my Z370 board with 2 m.2 nvme slots on it. Can I do the cloning procedure simply using the 2 slots and some swapping around, or will I save a lot of headaches by getting an external nvme enclosure? Thanks thread. Going from a Samsung 500gb 960 EVO to a 2TB 970 EVO. With the way game installs are going, the 500 just isn't cutting it any more.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thank you! And is it ok to do the cloning in windows with macrium or should I boot to a usb or something? For the main OS drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Coolio. Thanks again. For those interested, this is the deal I got on the 2TB 970 Evo for 180+tax:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15620650-samsung-edu-epp-2tb-samsung-970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-pcie-solid-state-drive-ssd-180?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1