Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How important is the amount of system RAM with an SSD? At work I like to bump people up to 8GB if they're at 4 or 6, plus clone them to an SSD. My boss doesn't like to upgrade the RAM in the 6GB systems, he says that when you get low on RAM and start swapping to disk, it's a non-issue when it's an SSD.

SSD's make 4GB tolerable but I myself find my Windows of at work hitting the limit on 8GB

The hell did you get 6GB systems? Half upgrade some 4GB machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a 64GB 830 in my Linux laptop

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'd run the bigger drive if you can use the space. If it starts running like poo poo worry about it then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

How important is one SSD for your OS and another for your games? I've been hearing more and more that it makes a difference.

Kind of a pain to deal with 2 disks - just buy one big one.

As far as performance is considered, it's not going to be noticeable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got a used 500GB Sandisk Ultra II for $90. 380/500mb speed, used drives are crazy deals.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

What's the best place to get those? That's a crazy good deal.

Random rear end forums that have for sale sections.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Are the SanDisk "SSD Plus" drives any good? There's a bunch on sale and I noticed a few other Sandisk drives in the recommended list.

No, avoid the Z410 as well. Piles of poo poo they don't even have DRAM. Get the Ultra II if you're buying Sandisk

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would there possibly be heat/power issues with them in a laptop?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

The office laptops at my last job would take an eternity to boot with spinners due to all the crap the IT department had them loaded down with, going to SSDs probably cut like a full minute or more off of boot times, a larger difference than I saw when transitioning from spinner to SSD on my home PC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Toshiba wants to sell their NAND business to Western Digital for $17 billion dollars. That could get interesting

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-23/toshiba-western-digital-negotiating-on-chip-deal-kyodo-says

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Some dude on [h] selling 23TB worth of SSD's

https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-ssd-godmode-275gb-x-84-ssd-23tb.1942827/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, SSDs are definitely in the "never buy used" group of computer hardware.

Why do you say that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just lost an Intel 256GB SSD in one of our new Dell SFF's...better not be a trend

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redeyes posted:

Did it disappear or was it working enough to get data off?

Half the time it doesn't detect it upon bootup, the other half it runs for a few minutes and shits the bed with Dell diagnostics beeping and stuff

It's just a user workstation and he saves poo poo on the network so we just imaged him a new PC

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I remember back far enough when disks were so slow you could get more speed by using compressed data. hah!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

What is the recommendation on external drives? I want to get one for travelling to backup photos. Looking at 128 or 250 Gb most likely and will buy a Orico USB3 case or something for it to go in.

Unless an off the shelf option is actually better?

I have two 500gb ssd’s In Orico usb 3 cases, they’re great and we’re way cheaper than off the shelf.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There are none that are cheap. I think there were a bunch of GoFlex adapters cheap back in 2011 or so, I regret not picking a handful of those up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You could velcro it in there, but those caddies are like $5 I'd just buy one.

Buy why not just buy an M.2 SSD in the 2242 (42mm) size?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 16, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wargames posted:

USB-C is hot garbage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Samsung or Crucial, use Macrium reflect to clone the drive

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NewEgg has the 500GB Samsung EVO for $129 right now

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Install everything on the SSD
Use macrium reflect to image the old drive to the new one

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know what chipset is used in the Team Group L5 Lite SSD? newegg has the 480gb for $100

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

When you format an SSD, how does the SSD know it’s a format operation and zeros all the blocks?

Formatting doesn't do that, does it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12408/the-samsung-860-evo-m2-2tb-ssd-review

Not much better than the 850 EVO. Sick sequential benchmarks tho

However:

:thunk:

If I won the lottery I'd buy a pile of 2TB and 4TB drives and put them in everything I own.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Is the 960 EVO for $199.99 a really good deal or is that the new standard price?

500GB?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Where are the slow, large capacity SSDs for bulk storage?

There's an ADATA 500GB drive on Slickdeals for $100 right now

But SSD's aren't meant for long-term storage, especially powered down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redeyes posted:

So I recently ran into (separately) a Samsung 830 that was causing a computer to straight up shut down and a Crucial M500 that caused a 7F bluescreen. From my experience its rare for a SSD to work until its NAND is used up.

I had an 830 that would randomly freeze up the computer it was in, or just drop off the SATA bus. Had to chuck it. Poor little guy :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

We're all leaking electrons (some of us more than others) but I always thought SSDs held data better than one of the old fashioned spinny disc ones.

SSD's are not for long-term data storage when powered off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've only had Samsung fail. And I've had Jmicron chipsets, OCZ drives...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So yeah, Micron must really want to sweep these out the door: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/448291/micron-solid-state-drive

It's Rakuten, so use PayPal. I wouldn't give that company a valid credit card if they offered 99% off.

I don't seem to see many reviews on that thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would make a great media drive or Time Machine backup

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Build a backblaze pod out of those Micron 2TB drives

90TB raw storage for $12,060

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

Can I bring this back up?

What the gently caress is this?

Toyota Supra dyno graphs

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Quick question: I know 850 Evo's are a good reccommendation, but is there any reason why I wouldn't want an 860 if it was cheaper than an 850?

I ask because my computer is somewhat aging....H77 chipset with SATA 6gb support.

For that matter, does it even deal with M.2 drives?

The 860 won't really be any faster (SATA is becoming a bottleneck) but it will have better write endurance. I'd go with the newer drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I just got a Micro Center ad for their Inland Pro SSD, 120GB, for just $24.99, in-store only (and "limit 1 per customer").

I don't know if its any good, but that seems like a crazy price for something like that.

What controller? Is it DRAM-less?

It would work for a kids laptop or something even if it's not that great of a drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lockback posted:

2TB micron SSD for under $250 from rakuten. Just going to share the Slickdeals link.

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/395847

This seems like a really good deal for a gaming machine. Anything I'm missing?

Have the guys at Slickdeals decided if there's a warranty on these or not?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Klyith posted:

Even if it does have a warranty, it would only be one year which is kinda meh anyways. I would be looking more at using a credit card with good protections. Throw it in a machine and immediately give it a couple TB of writes to stress it -- if that's good then the warranty is likely arbitrary.

People on the internet say the 2TB model actually has worse performance than the 1TB, which makes me raise my eyebrows a bit as to what's going on with it. But I suppose if you're looking to go completely solid state, the price is real good.

On one hand it's 80-90% of the EVO 850, but on the other hand it looks stuttery as gently caress

Either way, that's a ton of SSD storage for $250

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That 2TB Micron drive would make a great external drive or Time Machine backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would be sick to stick one or two of those in a 15" laptop that can take two drives...