Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
The m.2 of the asus z-97-A is nvme compatible right? this board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

SlayVus posted:

I have that board, it's a 2x instead of 4x and will disable SATA ports 5 & 6. So the drive will operate at half speed

Where did you find that out? Is that included under the SATAe header on the spec sheet?

e: is 1/2 speed nvme even faster than a normal sata drive?

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

priznat posted:

Could, but that motherboard is pretty limited for gen3 slots. Could go with the second gen3 x16 slot but then the gpu will be at x8, probably not a big deal though.

My current use case is upgrading from a hdd to ssd for better performance in my operating system, I feel like waking up from sleep, search etc have poor optimization for old hdds. Since NVMe is the new protocol moving forward I wonder how soon I'd start to see similar bottlenecks over the live of the SATA ssd, and thus would prefer the 2x price premium for an NVMe disk now. I can't find a good write speed comparison aside from the stated gb/s of the protocol though.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I'm going to replace my 1tb spinning system drive with an SSD sometime between now and black friday. Should I go with an equivalently sized 860 EVO or is 500gb enough when I already have a large storage drive and can keep using my current system drive for games or whatever? The fact that 1tb is only double the cost right now makes it fairly appealing to go with the higher capacity.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

My 860 came in from amazon with a crushed box is there anything I can benchmark it with to make sure it's functional? Also what're some of the recommended methods for transferring my boot disk from the hdd to sdd? Do they need to be the same size?

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I would use magician, but there's a maximum daily download limit. If I end up updating the firmware on the disc will I have to reformat it?

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks for the help I cloned the boot disk with macrium and everything works I guess. Is a 100mb page file normal for an SSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Klyith posted:

assuming you are talking windows virtual memory, a 100mb page file just means you booted the os recently and it hasn't needed to page anything out of ram yet.

with old HDDs there was potentially some benefit to static size page files but that's not really the case with SSDs, just stick with the system managed size.

I'll have to do a fresh install then I think because macrium copied the static 100mb partition over to the new disk. Would it work if I ran the clone and just didn't select that partition for transfer or is that windows installation looking for that partition now.

isndl posted:

If it's a 100MB partition on the drive that's probably the EFI partition, just leave it alone or you're going to have trouble booting.

ok thanks