Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

The Intel 660p is both cheap and 2tb.

Does the same hold for lower sized? I just need it for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Thanks - I just saw the 1TB selling for 100 and was wondering if it was worth it.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Any benefit from having both M.2 drives in a PC be of the same manufacturer? I have a 520GB 960 EVO already as boot drive, and I want to buy another 2TB M.2 for picture editing and was just gonna buy a WD Blue

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Any reason to get M.2 vs. 2.5 SSD. Prices are the same here

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Sorry, should have been more specific. I was just talking about WD Blue M.2 vs. 2.5". They're both SATA so no difference.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

M.2 means you have two less cables to deal with, but you have to gently caress with the tiny-rear end M.2 screw, and you have 1 less free M.2 slot if you ever think you're going to fill them all up and they all support NVMe, some motherboards don't in every slot.

That's the long and the short of the differences. They're the same drive (probably) with different physical connectors.

Yeah I know. I just can't remember where I put the last M.2 screw for my motherboard - kinda the only reason I'm not just going for that for ease of install. I don't care about the cables, already have 2 spinners attached to the computer...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Agreed, and then I realized I most likely threw my sata cables the same place as the M.2 screw so I guess I'm gonna go Indiana Jonesing for them before I order...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Because I'm a loving idiot

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I know

Don't understand why it isn't a clasping mechanism like everything else on the boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

They don't need to be for a desktop, but M.2 wasn't really intended as a desktop spec. The standard inherited the connector from Mini PCIe. It was designed first for laptops and other systems where small size is important and replacing the drive is rare if ever. Being securely fastened down is important, Mini PCIe used 1 or 2 screws on the end for retention, so that's what they stuck with.

I think originally U.2 was intended to be the form factor for new super-fast desktop drives, but M.2 sticks were available first at consumer prices (made for ultrabooks). People started putting M.2 drives in their desktops using the pcie passive adapter cards and the rest is history.

Also m.2 isn't that hard to deal with if you just stop being lazy and pull your PC out onto a table, remove the GPU or whatever else is in the way, and take some extra time to do it right. And I don't even know what to tell the people who lost their screws. Organize your life and put things away in a place where they won't get lost. Clean your gooncave! Get off my lawn!

Joke's on you, I remembered I was very careful about putting everything not used in the build back in the corresponding boxes.

(That I then put the boxes, in a very big box that is currently sitting at the veeery bottom of my basement storage unit with 12 other boxes piled on top is another story)

I found a sata cable in my drawer-of-cables, so 2.5" SATA Drive it is!