Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm thinking about getting a Sandisk drive (256 GB). How does the Ultra II compare to the X400? Is there going to be any noticeable difference between the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm joining the club. Just ordered an SK Hynix and a bracket. I'll let you know what I think.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Why is it that the 850 EVO and X400 are the two default options? There's a trove of $60 250 GB drives out there, and some are recommended by other outlets (PNY, SK Hynix, and AMD come to mind). I understand there are some pieces that aren't as desirable (TLC, longevity, performance), but it seems that they are never recommended here.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool, I know $30 isn't a huge difference, but I just thought it was worth asking about. I'll be trying out the Hynix soon.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m thinking about getting an SSD for my 2012 MacBook Pro. Would it be worth going with the MX over the BX drives
from Crucial? I have quite a few GBs free on a 320 HDD, would 500 still be worth it? Any real cheap options I wouldn’t hate?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks for the tips! It is a 2.5" SATA drive I'm looking to replace. I think I'll dig around for a deal on the ADATA, WD, or Sandisk. If nothing comes up in the next week or two, I can always spring for the MX500. It does seem worth it to spring for a better drive in this case, because I can always use the drive as a backup/rescue drive should the MacBook die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Are those Inlands decent? I know there are better ones, but it’d probably work all right.