Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

I grabbed two 2-TB SATA SSDs. I normally have a drivepool setup for my HDDs and I wanted to know if doing a second drivepool for the SSDs would affect their speed.

They would only be pooled together, no normal HDDs with them, and would use them just for games.

I can just keep them separate if it'll hurt their speed, but, figured it'd be nice to have one big 4 TB SSD for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

DarkestLite posted:

I grabbed two 2-TB SATA SSDs. I normally have a drivepool setup for my HDDs and I wanted to know if doing a second drivepool for the SSDs would affect their speed.

They would only be pooled together, no normal HDDs with them, and would use them just for games.

I can just keep them separate if it'll hurt their speed, but, figured it'd be nice to have one big 4 TB SSD for everything.

Jump a bump as apparently Iím bad at googling and still canít find a concrete answer.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

DrDork posted:

IIRC drivepool doesn't have much overhead, so it shouldn't impact speeds noticeably vs a single drive by itself. Especially if you intend to using it for gaming, you could significantly impair their benchmark performance and never notice it--current games really don't care all that much about whether your drive can do 300MBps or 3GBps, as long as latency is low (which it will be).

Drivepool will be slower than doing RAID 0, of course, but you also don't want to be doing RAID 0 in the first place.

Yeah I donít plan on bothering with RAID and these two SSDs are strictly going to be for gaming. I have a 2TB NVMe for the OS and such and a 20+ TB Drivepool setup for everything else.

Iím not building the new desktop until next Tuesday but this makes me feel better about setting things up. Thanks a ton!