Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I built a PC in 2013 that's been so reliable that I haven't upgraded a single thing in it, or paid any attention to incremental hardware advances over the intervening years. It's running Windows 7 on a plain ol' hard drive.

So, hopefully quick question: can I just connect a SATAIII cable to this thing, install Windows 10, and just start rockin' or is there going to be something obvious (hardware-wise) that will bite me in the rear end?

This is the motherboard (ASRock B85M): https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M%20Pro4/index.us.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764

Also, is this the kinda thread where I can just pick something in the OP or should I watch the going conversation for a while? I was looking at this post on RPS and gat dang are SSDs cheap now. 1 TB should do fine for me.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

^^
Thanks. Yeah, I figure anything I get is going to blaze; I can constrain my jealousy of new-new tech.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

The one general piece of advice is to disconnect old hard drive(s) before installing windows, if you aren't sure about the boot order. This prevents a situation where win10 installs itself to the SSD like you asked but puts the boot partition on a different HD.

The OP has the very safest choices in terms of reputation & prior quality. A WD Blue drive is a great choice, as is the Crucial MX500.

If you are waiting for black friday to save some bucks, the Adata SU800 is probably worth putting on your radar. That's the favorite discount drive for the thread, with performance on par with the 860/Blue/MX500 class.
Thanks. Yeah, good advice, I'm probably going to image my old drive with the free Macrium for old time's sake, and do the rest as you recommend.

Looking at the current money situation, I may have to wait until after Black Friday (other peoples' gifts take priority), but I get the sense that prices are going to continue to be reasonable looking forward, especially given the age of my system. If anything, it's the grand death of Windows 7 support lighting a fire under my behind: if I'm going to go through the pain of de-fanging and de-loving a new Microsoft system, I may as well do so on very fast, new storage.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 20, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So I bought a Crucial MX500 as my first SSD, and I'm happy so far. I searched for these phrases first, but didn't find an applicable answer, should I enable either or both of these in their Storage Executive app:
  • Momentum cache
  • Over provisioning
I figure momentum cache probably doesn't give a big enough boost to be worth it, and over provisioning... isn't some portion of the drive already set aside for bad sectors (or whatever the SSD equivalent is)?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the thorough answers on my SSD questions, thread!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

code:
> diskpart

You are in a room containing 4 drives. It is dark. You may be eaten by a grue.

> look disk 1

You see a disk containing 465 GB.

> wipe disk

As your data vanishes, you recall that you wanted to delete a 500 GB partition, not your 500 GB SSD drive. Your adventure ends here.
:magical:
for serious I physically disconnected everything that wasn't the drive I wanted to do this to a couple weeks ago to install Windows.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

oohhboy posted:

That is very good :lol:

Given the option I do it logically, far less of a hassle. SATA cables aren't fond of fondling.

iirc Windows 7 and lower would gently caress up if there was more than one disk on install.

I was readjusting the cables anyhow to install the SSD anyhow, but yes. I was not real happy with how the connector on the SSD drive waggled around either, especially since I'm threading power and data cables behind and through the "crawlspace" of my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Would the manufacturer software be able to verify the reported serial or something?