Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone see any NVME deals coming up for Black Friday? I haven't seen a MicroCenter ad yet, but I'm beginning to think that's my only hope.

I'd also be happy to hear about deals on regular old 2.5'" units--my server needs a new boot drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Here's what I got in an email from Micro Center..

The original ad said the prices were only good to 11/19, but the ad on the website says the prices are now good until 11/23.

The parts in the ad that are on sale say on the website that you have to check at the store for the price, but I'm reasonably sure they're what's in the ad out of the email.

The 960 500 GB and the 850 EVO 500 GB are definitely on sale.

Thanks! Good timing too, I'll be over in Microcenter's part of town today.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

You could try manually sending it the ATA Secure Erase command from a Linux environment: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

I don't think there's a way to do it from Windows unfortunately.

And read the whole thing before you do it: don't do it from (certain?) USB-SATA adapters and brick your drive like I did!

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first HD I bought with my own money, a Maxtor 853 MB, still spins up nicely. Time to put it in my mergerfs setup and see how long it will last.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought me a fancy ADATA SX8200 960GB via Rakuten. When I first got it going with a new Windows 10 install and checked the smart values with CrystalDiskInfo, I saw that power-on-hours was indeed small (~1) as expected but total host reads and writes were well over 1300 GB. (I should've checked the drive before installing Windows but I was too lazy.)

Are the smart values wrong/CDI is interpreting them incorrectly? (I don't think so--wrote 5 GB with a script and the delta in CDI reflected that.)

Did ADATA put the drive through some hoops and that's why there's already so much written?

Or did someone else have this drive installed, run that much reads/writes through, and then return it?

I know it's ~0.2% of the rated writes for the drive but I'm not a fan of getting a used part that was claimed to be new...

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

I have a couple of the 480 GB versions of that drive in use, and although I don't know off the top of my head how much was written to them out of the box, on many of the SSDs I've checked they often have about the drive's total capacity written to them and perhaps 1-3 power cycles (all per CDI.) While ~1.3 TB is perhaps a bit more than I'd expect them to have written to that drive as a test before approving it for sale, that's within the realm of reason and I'd certainly rather have the drive's NAND fully tested before it gets to me.

I wouldn't worry about that drive, but if you're still concerned and can wait a few days, I can check one of the systems I have with the 480 GB SX8200 and tell you what the NAND flash writes are at currently (which include the OS install, a few tens of GB at this point, and a couple hundred GB of games added on.)

Agreed that I'd rather have a tested drive than nothing, just would've thought somehow they'd've reset the tbw after that--please let me know what your test system says.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

And with all that in mind, I didn't forget about this:

So in the first paragraph, the NVMe SSD in question was another SX8200, which you were asking about, and I promised to get you a from-the-factory write number. In this case, for another fresh 480 GB drive, it came with about 600 GB written. That's in-line with what you were reporting for your 960 GB drive (~1.3 TBW.) I still think it'd be more expected to have them test each drive with closer to the drive's capacity of data written, rather than an extra 20-30%, but if that's how they do things then :shrug:

Edit: noted that Chiral doesn't have PMs and hasn't posted on SA since then, so here's hoping he eventually sees this response! :toot:
Thanks for checking! I'm glad to see the TBW value is consistent. I also can report that I'm still happy with my purchase.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How noticable, I assume not very?

Fill it up and report back.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

A week or two later and I assume that anything I had on that disk pales into comparison. I call it social steganography.

"But your honor, apropos man gave me the drive!"

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HP was being a dick about support on the EX920, too. Dunno if it's still the case with the 950.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

At work we mount dozens and dozens of m.2s to either aic or u.2 adapters on nice flat clean bench surfaces and we stillhave the occasional screw that slips in someone’s fingers, bounces once, and is gone after a fruitless search of the floor. This wouldn’t be a big deal if manufacturers would include a spare or two but they never do.

Sure we could improve the protocol to prevent screw escapes but it seems like such a dumb thing to have to do.
I fumble + lose even the drat case screws so I try to put down a white sheet when I monkey with things.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, going from an 840 EVO to an SX8200 felt like a jump to hyperspace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

not sure if this is the right thread for this, but Tim Sweeney talks about the PS5 storage system and its implications on the future PC market:

source

I wonder what that's all about.

sounds like some bullshit to me, Sweeney won't even cop to making Simusex, so he's just a liar through and through.