Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Nice OP :) I don't know much beyond the basics and felt I learned something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Finally got an 850 EVO. Once I got everything set up and turned on AHCI, starting up windows now works like a dream. Can't determine game speed loadup though: Most of my (Steam) games are off on a partition on my HDD, and the one game I had that was on my main disk partition (Witcher 3) stopped working after I copied it over to the SSD, and hasn't been working even though I redownloaded it. I am using GOG Galaxy though, and I am suspecting it is just that program being a piece of poo poo. I will get a copy of the game from GOG itself sometime today. I can say that WoW felt a bit snappier loading though.

I know everyone says to ignore the OS optimizations in Magician, but what is this RAPID mode thing? I can't use it since I am on Windows 10, and apparently they do not offer support for it, yet. Is it actually useful?

EDIT: Moved my Overwatch install to the SSD. Before, when I start up the game, maps take a while to load, and even when they did, character models are not loaded in yet. Now I load up before everyone else. I'd call this an improvement :)

Nice! Looking forward to grabbing an 850 EVO 500gb, hoping to get some good Black Friday deals.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I just want to get off my 120gb OCZ ride.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I currently have a 120gb OCZ SSD and a 1tb HDD (that's ~7 years old and still chugging along), but sick of being last into Overwatch matches because my games have to live on the disk.

If I grab a 500gb SSD around Black Friday, would it make sense to just leave the 120gb SSD as my boot drive and chuck the HDD? 500gb would more than cover what I have on there.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I just don't want it to go to waste :(

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Marzzle posted:

it can hold 2 modern videogames so just store some good steam library stuff on it. 500GB is only gonna hold 8-9 anyway when used for system stuff.

Thankfully I have pretty good Internet and no cap, so no need to ever store a Steam game :)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Overwatch isn't a big game, couldn't you free up a few gigs on the SSD and run it from there?

Didn't realize Apple was taking up 45gb in backups :psyboom:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Answered!

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Samsung 960 reviews are out. Here is AnandTech's take.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the most recent firmware, they're fine. If you haven't updated them, you might want to. EXT0DB6Q is the most recent.

DXT0AB0Q is what my Magician says is the most recent.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You have to download a ~special tool~ to get DB6Q: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_840_evo_performance_restoration_tool.html

It takes quite a bit longer than a normal firmware update, so don't get nervous.

From what I can tell, DXT0AB0Q came out two years after EXT0DB6Q - should I be downgrading?

I'm dumb.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Arcturas posted:

YET ANOTHER EDIT:
So I've cloned the drive again, and this time after it shut off I just disconnected the old HDD and booted the computer. Everything booted properly and things seem to be working so far. I assume at this point I simply turn the computer off, connect the HDD, boot normally, and then wipe/format the old HDD, and I should be good to go?

Yup! Welcome to the fast boot club, friend!