Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have an Asus laptop here with one of those built in 24gb SSDs I assume for the OS. Someone had tampered with the thing and it was stuck on a BIOS password when you turned it on, managed to get around that. I went to reinstall Windows, the SSD was split up into a 6gb OEM reserved part and then 16gb primary. Couldn't do anything with either from the Windows installer, just hung there, I wanted to just delete the partitions and merge it as one. Cant install to them the way they are because the 6 isn't big enough and the other one isn't formatted as NTFS. Installed to the terabyte HDD fine but would be a waste to just ignore the SSD. Seems like it should be pretty cut and dry, anything to consider with these small built in ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont think so, theres no mention of it in the BIOS anyway, which has been updated to the latest version. This is the laptop. Sometimes in disk management it says disk not initialized, and it wont no matter if I pick GPT or MBR. Then another time I booted up and it showed up in disk management but not in explorer, and all looked healthy but I couldn't access any context options except delete volume, on the larger part.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was under the impression its on the board? I wasn't exactly looking for it when I took out the HDD but I didn't notice anything. edit: looks like we are looking at a whole teardown to get at it, and I dont think I have any sort of interface here for mSATA.

It is rapid storage after all

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Booted to Ubuntu and its not even picking up the SSD.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've always trusted WD. Are their SSDs any good?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How insane am I to be considering PCIe SSDs? Thinking about starting to piece together my next build as I finally have a good stream of income.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm just getting brushed up on everything here. I had thought PCIe > m2, but now I've figured it out. That'll shave off a few hundred bucks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jesus those (canadian) prices

Any justification whatsoever for the respective jumps between the 3?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its clear that a lot of people take pride in shaving off every penny possible in a build, but I go all out. I oughta take a look at whats been written to my 840 over the last 5 years, its always been used sparingly and hardly ever went over half full. But I'm going with the 970 evo and adding a WD blue 2tb m.2 as well, no spinners at all this time. Unreal to think where its gone, my 840 was somewhere around 350 or 400 when I got it for a 500gb back then. I also run a 3tb hdd with most of my steam library and a 500gb junk drive for downloads. Boot time is one of the biggest things bothering me right now. I mean obviously its not terrible but I want as close to instant as possible.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah don't use 7. And you're always better off starting fresh instead of cloning old setups unless you have some ultra specific hard to duplicate circumstances

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Good tip on the XPG, ADATA is still on the avoid list in the OP of this thread. That'll shave $100 off my build. God drat those PCIE Intel Optanes are still so expensive, but I want them (yeah yeah real world applications this and that, I still want it)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First piece of new build arrived

About 100 bucks cheaper than what I paid for a 500gb 840 when I did my last build

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont clone your current setup, thats for fools. Backup and install fresh, squeaky clean.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want every thread title on this site to be renamed to STOP USING WINDOWS 7 YOU COUNTRY FRIED RUBE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The apple ecosystem is basically the same as smoking. You make the fatal error of starting in the first place, then you continue to be punished with each purchase.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What kinda cow dung company makes you pay shipping for a RMA? Fuckin ADATA. Where did I even read the SX8200 was a good buy when I was building, I thought it was here

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still think the big rich company oughta foot the bill. If fuckin Bezos will do it, everyone should.

Backstory, I ordered the SX8200 nVMe as well as a WD Blue SATA m.2 for my new build, no 2.5 or 3.5" drives. Finished it May last year. It works, but never quite ran the way it should, particularly in relation to boot times. This old Toshiba Satellite from 2012 or something with a bargain kingston 120gb SSD boots faster. I wiped the whole thing and started fresh but it was the same. Not just too slow to boot but would like freeze and stutter when first arriving at login screen and loading programs. Plus on the second install, the ADATA toolbox software wouldn't even recognize the drive was one of theirs. Plus some of my Geforce game captures were coming out corrupted. Computer wouldn't boot at all sometimes, would light up but nothing on screen. And if it went to sleep for whatever reason, would get stuck in the same kinda limbo sometimes instead of waking up like it should.

This whole time I had pinned all my issues on the RAM because while my board is on the QVL for the memory, the RAM is like one letter off from matching the QVL for the board. Booting with XMP enabled just results in a crash if it even gets to Windows (Which reminds me, cant see it being related but I have to try that again now that I have the ADATA drive removed). So I've had to just let my 3600mhz RAM run at 2133 this whole time. Not that that would cause slow boot or anything, just that I feel it must be faulty if it wont work at the advertised speed and the board has plenty of overhead for it.

But I finally got around to just taking out the SX yesterday and installed Windows on the Blue, works much better now, as it should, where the SATA drive should be slower than the nVMe. Now I gotta ship that poo poo to the opposite corner of the continent and hope I dont get a lemon this time. I shoulda just got an Intel or Samsung.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And approx 200% of Seagate's have to be RMAd

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Price? The crucial is what we use at work so it cant be any good

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ADATA dropped off my replacement SSD on the 30th...still ain't left LA! Wtf is that. Thing gotta come to the very opposite corner of the continent

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But there's been a bunch of updates. It's nonsensical really

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There are 22110 as well, my board supports them but from a quick search I did on pcpp it looks like they are mainly for enterprise use

There should be a QVL for them as well just like memory but I doubt its as picky

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My current rig I didn't even use any 2.5" drives, I put 2 m.2 drives in it. So much waste space in the case, though not really I guess as airflow is good

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those are sata2 and I don't believe any such SSD was ever made?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Might help someone else, my board has two m.2 slots, well 3, but two longer ones but only one will accept nvme but both will take sata m.2 drives. Thought that might be your issue

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Few years now since I've had to buy a SSD in a way that I actually have to think about it. Whats the current performance go to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Both my main 1tb nvme and my secondary 1tb SATA m.2 are nearly full and I'm looking at having to delete poo poo to download Starfield. Time to bump up to a 2tb, I'll wind up using it in my refresh I'm planning for early-mid next year anyway. Was thinking of trying a WD Black but I read they are spinning off their SSD business back to Sandisk, or something like that? I haven't been following things too closely, but is Samsung still having some difficulties? Whats the go to choice these days? My board is a relatively old Z390 platform but as I said, it'll be going into something newer soon.