Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Deanut Pancer posted:

This discussion about write amounts made me curious about my own SSD. I downloaded Crystal Disk as suggested, and here's what it shows me:

Anything here I should be concerned about? I'm not sure how best to interpret some of those attribute numbers - are they too high or low?

Space is starting to get tight for the latest games, so I'm considering picking up a 1TB M2 drive to replace this. Then I'll probably dedicate the samsung to becoming an extra steam drive (mostly for stuff like MS Flightsim).
Which are the brands to look for or avoid nowadays? (I'm not in the US, if that makes a difference) My MB is an ASUS PRIME-X370-PRO

This had me curious:

Main desktop computer, sized up from a 256 GB Samsung 840. I swear by Samsung drives (I know, I know my tribalism just moved to solid state from spinny disks) after getting hosed by a few other brands in the early days, so I'm that guy that pays "extra" for 970s, and almost exclusively use 970 EVOs at work since everything I own at home is too old to have M.2 slots. I have a PM1725A that I'm really curious to get up and running in my NAS and see how stupid fast it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

How long after the previous models did the EVOs launch? Probably not a bad idea for Samsung to only sell the PRO for the rest of the year + grabbing insecure PCMR folks, but I'm not actually sure what historically moves volume for their pro drives. OEM versions, not client versions?

e: maybe they'll sell pairs to people to RAID 0 to ensure they have the biggest number in the room?

movax fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 31, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Can you move hiberfil.sys to a different drive these days? A 1 TB C:\ drive should be enough but if you have a TR / HEDT setup with 64-128 GB of RAM, that's an easy 10% capacity loss right out of the gate.

I've been limping along with 512 GB as an OS drive on a machine w/ 32 GB of RAM and hover ~100 GB free as Windows accrues SxS / windows update cruft.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Klyith posted:

No, it has to be on the boot drive -- it's loading hiberfile at the very start of the boot process, before drivers for storage.

But if you have a TR HEDT, why not just disable hibernation altogether? S3 sleep uses a minimal amount of power (and shouldn't really be much more with a monster PC than a normal desktop, all those high-power parts are off). You also lose fast boot, but win10 boots pretty drat fast. And resume from sleep is faster than fast boot -- I go weeks between reboots because I use sleep for 'off' nearly 100% of the time.

Hibernation is IMO pretty useless for desktops.

I mostly keep hibernation enabled so my UPS can trigger it when a power outage happens. I don't use S3 sleep at all leave my machine on 24/7, mostly because having seen how the sausage is made, I remain forever skeptical that ACPI power states work without loving anything up / causing a BSOD / forcing a reboot eventually. Maybe it's time to try it again, though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

It's also built with their own controller chip, eschewing the Phison / Silicon Magic based controllers..

I've always liked the stability / performance I've gotten from Samsung controllers / their drives which is why I stick with them even if they aren't the cheapest / most cost effective anymore.

SK has a lot of presence as OEM drives, so not a "new" entrant just the first time they're actually releasing directly to consumers instead of OEM. Pretty sure XPS 13s show up with either SK or Samsung OEM NVMe sticks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Do NVME drives have PCIe lane flexibility like other PCIe devices or do they always expect 4 per device? Could a motherboard use PCIe4 to offer two M2 dual-lane slots (each equivalent to PCIe3 speeds) rather than one slot at twice the speed?

Every compliant device should downtrain as part of the link negotiation process, but then that device can choose to go into whatever state it wants if the width is too small for it. AFAIK no NVME drives refuse to run at small link widths, you're just not going to get the speed you want.

M.2 was design with x4 lanes as the assumed "standard" absolutely, if the PCIe root complex supports it, you could put a bunch of 2 lane M.2 slots all over the board, but people would then have to buy matching x2 PCIe 4.0 devices to enjoy full performance, and those things aren't going to happen at the same time.

A fun theoretical all-flash storage array could be an add-in card (I mean, I'm describing enterprise NVMe here I guess) that takes a x16 link and offers up 4 x4 PCIe 4.0 slots for drives. Samsung and friends just already make x8 width NAND controllers that they throw onto HHHL cards for servers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Plug a dual port drive into the x2x2 slot

Isn't that what some Optanes do, depending on the RC to bifurcate properly? Half for the Optane, half for the QLC?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

HDDs coming back with a vengeance

What spec are they combating with 20,000 RPM exactly?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JMicron and Marvell drivers are bad news I just pretend they don't exist and one of my first BIOS steps is to disable those fuckers.

Over/under until SATA ports actually just start disappearing and vendors start using those SerDes / BGA balls for more PCIe / USB? Feels like the numbers should start dropping from 6/8 down to like, 2/4 SATA 6Gbps ports, tops, for most desktop applications people who want lots of drives could go to a different SKU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Looks like a solid 'meh'... interesting to see AnandTech toss in the PM1725 though! I have one intended to my D:\ drive for games and such because... 6.4 TB of fast storage in a U.2 is nice and dense. Didn't realize how poorly it fared compared to some of the smaller drives.