Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just found a Samsung 860 QVO 2TB for 170€ - seems like a good deal to me, despite the crapiness associated with QLC?

/Edit: would be used as a game drive, I would keep on booting from my current SSD.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So here's something new: I was playing Battlefield 1 on my PC, and all of a sudden the whole computer completely freezes and I had to force a shutdown by holding the power button.
When I restarted, my main SSD (Crucial MX500 in the m2 slot) was not recognized anymore, and since this is where Windows is installed (aswell as my current ~gamez~) I was unable to boot up.
However, after waiting for 30 minutes, everything was okay again.
Anybody knows what could have happened here? SSD just overheating? Or did I buy a lemon and should find a replacement ASAP?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Might want to try a different SATA cable before you return the drive.

Would if I could, but it's in the M2 slot of the motherboard (Asus Z170 mini-ITX). I'll admit that there is some pressure on the SSD when I put in the mounitng screw, but otherwise it would stick out at an angle :v:

isndl posted:

He said it's in the M2 slot, there's no cable to swap. Maybe check the SMART data to see if it's reporting any errors? I haven't heard of the MX500 firmware being buggy yet, and SSDs are supposed to be fine with running hot. Don't know if there's an actual issue here or just getting struck by a magic bit flip.

Thanks, I'll try the SMART. Hopefully it's just some one of a kind computer magic trick :ohdear:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Seems that QLC drives are in the awkward middle ground between faster, slightly more expensive TLC drives and slower but cheaper HDDs.
I guess if you really have an aversion to spinning rust why not... But unless those drives are heavily discounted they are not worth it.