Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I hate that m.2 is really the main form factor for desktop pcie drives, Iím alright with some cables just give me affordable u.2/u.3 drives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Personally hoping for consumer adoption of EDSFF (never happen this is extremely silly)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

taqueso posted:

Is there a half-height pcie card that holds 4 m2 SSDs, 2 on each side?

Gigabyte CMT4034

https://www.gigabyte.com/Accessory/CMT4034-rev-10/sp#sp

Probably not spec compliant on the B side height!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, thatís a useful spreadsheet!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

My gaming PC has an X570 motherboard and I was thinking of getting an NVMe drive to replace my SATA SSD. Is there anything out there now that will keep parity with what the PS5 and Xbox Series X will offer when they release, or is it better holding off for now? There's a 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 that supposedly boasts 5000 MB/s reads, but I'm not really familiar with that brand or how reliable they are.

The current pcie 4.0 consumer drives (sabrent, adata, corsair) pretty much all use the same Phison controller and it is fine, basically their last gen controller with the addition of gen4. They will be putting out a new one shortly (or have) that will come closer to gen4 line rate speeds (so over 7GB/s reads) as it has been designed with the faster interface in mind. Ditto the upcoming samsung one.

As far as reliability goes Iím sure theyíre fine. Not a lot that can happen with no moving parts as long as it isnít DOA!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So how many nand dies do you need to saturate pcie4? Whatís the minimum capacity with current production then?

The previous phison controller supported 800MT/s standard (onfi 4 I think) from NAND and the next ones will do 1200MT/s (onfi 4.1) so +50% with the same number of flash chips.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait are current gen nvme controllers not fully tapping the nand or are you saying next gen nand will also be +50% more bandwidth?

No, Phison stuff isn't fully tapping the theoretical max of the NAND interface as 8 channels at 800MT/s (8 bit) should be 6400MB/s but the PCIe interface maxes out at 5000MB/s. However the 6400MB/s flash interface wouldn't max out the PCIe interface of Gen4x4 either. With the newer E18 the transfer rate to the NAND goes up to 1200MB/s per channel which should saturate the PCIe link but it tops out at 7000MB/s which is close but not saturating it either (probably would want to see more in the range of 7.7GB/s with the various PCIe/NVMe overhead). I would guess they have limitations in their onboard CPU in a price/performance tradeoff.

This isn't a huge deal for Phison because it's still way faster than any other current consumer drive being the only one right now and even the 980Pro is claiming read speeds less than 7GB/s (6.5).

Enterprise drives will get way closer to max PCIe speeds though due to a combination of more NAND controller channels (upwards of 32) and plentiful RAM caching. There is a reason why enterprise NVMe drives are $texas!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

plus a bunch of tantalum capacitors so they can finish writing a full cache even if the power gets cut

Yah on the AIC/u.2s they have beefy electrolytics too sometimes!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat that loving sucks

Yeah we have seen that too as we migrated between using corsair and evga psus. Thankfully the powered u.2 cable took the brunt and just fried a couple diodes and the attached drive was fine.

So moronic they are keyed the same. But then the 6 pin pcie connectors will also plug into the 8 pin cpu sockets with suuuuuper bad results.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want to see some crazy low tier of storage where data is etched into obsidian using a big rear end laser and then read back by feeling the grooves which will last for 10,000 years or something

Write speeds of like 4k bytes per hour.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool I had seen that but I only half remembered and wasnít sure if I had just imagined it, hah.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Doing hardware compression at the drive level is pretty neat and is already a big thing for video storage. With the complexity of the storage controllers just shoehorning some extra compute power for compression/decompression isnít that much of a heavy lift.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

Doing it at the drive level isn't ideal though, since you'd need to shift uncompressed data over PCIe in that case. To match what the consoles are doing we'd need decompression built into the CPU so it can stream compressed data in over PCIe and dump it straight into RAM.

I think it is more a for encoding/transcoding video so the raw data is streamed and it encodes and stores on the fly. Additionally it could transcode for streaming out lower quality if streaming to a handheld device vs a full 4k. Probably a bunch of different use cases.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That reminds me of the usb drive from china someone that supposedly had a hdd in it but just had a flash drive spoofing the storage space with a large metal nut in it to provide the feeling of weight. Will try to dig up a picture.

E: wasnít this pic but similar

GIS for ďfake usb hddĒ is hilarious

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 14, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That seems like more contacts visible than usual, kind of put it in at an angle to the board, like 30deg, then push down and it should slide in and hit the socket cutout stopper thingie. If the cutout on the other end doesnít line up with the 2280 screw hole something ainít right. There is usually a bit of slop though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone have any good recommendations for 2TB portable (usb-c/TB3) SSDs?

I was looking at the sandisk one. Itís for my wife and she needs at least 1TB but 2TB would give more of a margin. Itís for transferring graphic design assets from work to home and back.

Hdds would probably be too slow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

I've had a 2TB MX500 in a 2.5" USB enclosure that's served me well at work shuttling footage from vendors. The enclosure is nice to have just in case you need to swap some other drive.

Totally tooless.

If you want something thin and sleek this is not it but its very utilitarian.

Thatís neat, I will check those out!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh its not USB-C so if those are the only ports you have like on a MBP and you don't want dongles then this might be more trouble than its worth.

Yeah I think there are sata to usb-c adapters so Iím looking at that. Also saw sabrant has a usb c to nvme u.2 one that is quite slim but apparently gets hot under sustained load.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also how old is the windows, I assume itís windows 10 which should support it but older ones would need a driver. Respek to anyone running xp or 7/8 anymore.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

*breaks down door panting*

HKLM....CurrentVersion....registry entries

*passes out*

Lol, amen

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Canít you just use a press and do basically the same thing. Our soldering room has a pretty beefy press for some reason it could smoosh drives good I bet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw this on, er, LinkedIn and it made me chuckle

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The small optane m.2s were x2 only so it could be that was what was planned for that prebuilt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Plug a dual port drive into the x2x2 slot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Isn't that what some Optanes do, depending on the RC to bifurcate properly? Half for the Optane, half for the QLC?

I havenít seen those, we had some of the super cheap, tiny optane only drives and they were just x2 keyed.

58GB of powerrrrr (we had some 16GB ones too )

Very cheap gen3 endpoints you could run traffic to is all we cared about

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Ok, I've got a weird one here.

I picked up an ASRock Rack x470d4u motherboard for my home NAS/VMhost/PlexServer/whatever.

It has 2 m.2 slots on board with the following config:

Slot1: PCIe2.0x4
Slot2: PCIe3.0x2/SATA3

So that's a kind of bizarre as hell setup. MY idea is to populate both slots with 2 matching m.2 SSDs. Is this even possible? I honestly don't give a poo poo about how fast they are, or if they're the latest PCIe generation.

I want to put them in a RAID1 BTRFS config to be used as a cache drive for the main HD array (this is a feature of Unraid).

Apparently the x16 slot can be bifurcated to 4/4/4/4 enabling me to get something like this which I can slot up to 4 M.2s into but at this point I'd rather not add the extra 50$ (maybe later I'd add it for VMs only).

Yeah you can definitely use the onboard, with either two pcie/nvme drives or one pcie and one sata. You will not be getting the max throughput of the drives (which are usually x4 pcie 3.0) but if that doesnít matter no worries. Theyíll both be running at half their maximum speed.

The slot adapter option could be something for a later upgrade!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Ok, great, so next question.

On Unraid, the cache usually gets a lot of writes, obviously I'm not going to spend enterprise money for MAXIMUM durability! But what should I look out for here? I feel like a pair of 500GB drives will do me fine.

Just 2 standard Crucial NVME drives? I say Crucial because they are usually pretty decent when you're not trying to min/max performance and just need reliability.

I canít recall what the drive du jour is but with consumer grade drives they will usually have a max data writes buried somewhere in the specs. This is a pretty high number like in the hundred+ TB written and is usually very conservative to boot. The amount capable of being written goes up with drive capacity.

I think even as a cache drive for unraid it wonít be getting slammed with writes constantly so pretty much any decent drive would be fine. Someone else who is more of a brand/nand guy would be better to comment on specifics!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Samsung 980pro reviews are up
https://www.storagereview.com/revie...nvme-ssd-review

the "prosumers" on r/hardware are flipping out that it's TLC

No scrub (nand technology)s

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Interesting they are getting rid of NAND but keeping XPoint.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I wonder if they are going to keep making nand based drives at all, they are doing less on the controller side in house so perhaps just want to focus solely on dimm based optane or whatever.

Itís not a bad move to get out of nand, itís just a commodity and if youíre not one of the big dogs it doesnít make a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Another useful resource if they haven't seen it (but probably if any googling was involved) is the SNIA educational library:

https://www.snia.org/educational-library