Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What are the symptoms of a dying SSD?

I've had a Samsung EVO 840 (120GB) for at least 4 years, maybe a little longer.

I just upgraded my mobo (Z170 FTW), CPU (i5-6500), and RAM (8GB DDR4) and finished the build. I can boot to my desktop (Windows 10) but I can do gently caress all from there.

If I try to launch any application, nothing happens. If I press Ctrl Alt Del, the blue lock screen comes up immediately, but if I click Task Manager I'm returned to my desktop and nothing opens.

I can open my Start Menu and if I go to Shut Down, nothing happens.

Ctrl Alt Del again and choose Shut Down or Restart from that little button in the bottom right corner and I'm taken to a blue screen with the loading icon that says "Shutting Down" and it just hangs there forever.

I had Windows 7 and "upgraded" to 10 so I don't even have a Windows 10 disc to boot to.

Does this sound like a dying drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The BIOS has a "SMART Self Test" setting which I've enabled, but it doesn't seem to do anything :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

With the symptoms he is seeing, I'd say RAM is the issue.

You might be on to something, just realized one of the sticks is dead :argh:

Edit: So if I boot into the BIOS with both sticks, it was telling me 1 was unrecognized. Removed one stick, booted into Windows, no better performance. Forcefully shut down, remove stick, try the other. Exact same behavior. Sigh.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 20, 2016

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Reinstall windows 10. Clean install will probably fix your poo poo. Sounds like driver woes to me.

You don't need a windows 10 disk, just a USB and a windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website. Plenty of guides on how to make a bootable windows 10 USB.

So a fresh install of Windows 10 using the built-in Windows Restore utility did fix my Windows problems... However, my mobo is definitely hosed :(

I bought new RAM today while waiting for the RMA process with NewEgg, BIOS only detects 1 stick. Windows only detects 1 stick.

Computer is stable, but ugh. I do not want to de-assemble everything, return the mobo, wait for the RMA process a second time... gently caress

edit; Oh and also down Windows things I have an illegitimate copy :downs:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 22, 2016