Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

At present time, if we're talking about general home use (browsing, streaming, gaming, guess occasional file transfers), is there going to be a big difference between a sata ssd and an nvme ssd?

To go along with the rest I've had time to play with a 3700X & NVMe setup after being on my "main" 3770K & SSD setup from 2013. Loading a game like Astronner on both several times I've noticed yeah sure the newer machine is faster to load the game but it's not dramatic given the 7 year difference. The bigger difference is plainly the CPU given how much faster sites load on the the machine. It's making me want to upgrade the older setup but I could absolutely make the SSD an "upgrade later" part in that as it wouldn't act as much more of a bottleneck from what i've experienced.

In fact the biggest thing I could do to speed up load time was exempt the folder from the virus scanner as that was eating up a ton of CPU to scan the same files every drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU