Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Potato Salad posted:

guess whose clients almost exclusively use those drives

fffffffff_fffffffffff_fffffffffff

Microsoft's on it. Have a nice nightmare.

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/ADV180028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laslow posted:

I guess the 840 Evo issues were overblown.

Just curious, what issues did those few drives even have? Were they all 100% fine after the patch?

They weren't overblown, people just like to panic over nothing all that significant.

We knew on patch day the bugs would take maybe 20% off the drive lifespan, and the lifespan is ~plenty. You should expect first drives dead caused by the bug in... two-ish years?

It does result in ridiculous slowdown and maybe even data loss if you haven't turned on the computer for months to years.

And the bug does cause accumulating damage in all 840 Evo drives, but technology moves on fast, and this type of damage takes several years to kill a drive. In ten to twenty years all 840 Evo drives will be dead.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The slowdown only happens for unpatched or unused drives.

The slow decay of the cells is impossible to fix and will eat all drives, including mine, in a matter of years. I invested my entire fortune into a top-of-the-line SSD only to hear it will not even outlast me, nevermind be the family heirloom it was supposed to be.

Samsung didn't know how their cell technology worked in the long term, and hosed up on both cell durability and ability to store charge. Fortunately for them, they hosed up in opposite directions, so the vastly higher than expected cell durability means the damage from the decay will only be noticeable after about ten years after manufacture, assuming the drive is patched and turned on routinely. In order to get the decay damage to show up sooner, you'd have to be running the drive way above its expected cycles anyway.

It does mean the drives are much worse for static data storage, but eh, when the 840 was new that was a thing you wouldn't do with SSDs anyway.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LRADIKAL posted:

Your biggest fastest drive should be your boot drive. Throw the 128 gb in the trash. I have simplified your issue.

128gb is fine for a boot drive. In fact, it's drat near perfect. Any kind of recovery is easier when your data isn't on your boot drive. If both drives are a SSD, you won't notice the difference.

Also Raid0 is the perfect way to backup your data, that way you can make sure the important things are safe.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That's not the kind of recovery I'm talking about. Backing up your OS state is more often than not worthless, because you're facing a reinstall when Microsoft fucks up again, and not having to care about important files on the boot drive is great.

Also, using Raid0 instead of backups gives you certainty about the state of your files in the case of a device failure, and if you're using Raid0 and not backups, you won't lose anything important when the device fails, so the end outcome is the same.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know if you're trolling, but please stop telling people to use raid0 when you're clearly referring to raid1. It's actually a pretty dangerous error to make.

I'm not referring to Raid1 because all it does is give you a false sense of security.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Its Coke posted:

What's the SSD equivalent of wiping a hard drive with a magnet?

Farting loudly.

Does about as much.

First of all, wiping a hard drive with a magnet isn't precisely very secure. Or convenient.

Meanwhile a secure erase of a SSD is usually good enough, but to be sure you need a hammer.

A home user isn't going to get anything out a securely erased SSD, but someone with a real budget might.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The question is is anyone going to dig out the chips and harvest your data from them. Secure erase and overwrite (do both) will make the data very time-consuming to access. Not impossible by any means, but difficult enough you have to ask if anyone is going to bother.

For securely enough erasing hard drives you overwrite them with random data and then zeroes. This won't necessarily stop people determined enough to use an electron microscope... but then, if someone is willing to go to those lengths they probably already have your data unless it's exclusively stored in a high security facility.

A magnet is just bad though. It's impossible to verify you've got all of the data erased until you're at the point where crushing the drive would be cheaper, safer and easier.

(You want secure erase and overwrite both because manufacturers have been known to get a bit lazy with the encryption. Kim Bongbong's story is the funniest.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The question of "what is my threat model" is certainly a valid one. If you aren't the target of a nation-state intelligence actor, or you aren't trying to erase "moneylaundering.xlsx" then snapping the board in half and tossing it is more than sufficient.

That said, I chose to write my previous post in kinda stern language because I didn't know what OP was asking the question for. Data security and data deletion is required by law for a lot of things these days, and even though I've never heard of petty criminals like, taking apart SSDs to do an identify theft or anything like that, it isn't a good mindset to write off such things as implausible. Computer security is an always-evolving topic and it's impossible to know what kind of threats the average person will be having to deal with a year, 5 years, 10 years from now.

Plus, for a lot of security issues, doing a more proper and thorough procedure vs. a "Close E. Nuff" one isn't significantly more demanding or onerous.

Proper and through procedure in this matter is device homogenization with an industrial shredder, and totally prevents reuse.

Close E. Nough meanwhile is, well, close enough for home users without anything especially incriminating on their devices.

WhyteRyce posted:

There is pulling ones and zeroes off, and then there is actually pulling off data into something that is actually readable or usable. How much of the later actually happens?

The latter is pretty easy in a lab, but you'd need a well-staffed university-grade or better technology lab. If you're determined enough to make do you can just pull the flash chips and get useful data on a home budget, but it's still a lot of effort to find someone's browsing history if you don't have a specific thing you're after.

Unless you're putting poo poo through an industrial shredder you're not safe from someone who really wants your data. Not that even that is foolproof, if the fool has a multi-million budget. The only foolproof method is melting the device down.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Its Coke posted:

Would a hammer 100% make the data unrecoverable?

Technically speaking you cannot delete information. The data is never truly unrecoverable.

For practical purposes, even a hammer or an industrial shredder (or a high-power blender) will not guarantee it because someone could have the budget and inclination to have a bunch of very specialized technicians reassemble the device with some very expensive laboratory tools. As much as it may look like a million grains of dust, ultimately those bits go back together in only one configuration and that configuration is practically discoverable, if hideously expensive and time-taking to find.

You can even melt hard drives and the data is still technically recoverable, though that would take more time than anyone is able to wait.

The go-to answer is a shredder for e-scrap, though. They're reasonably affordable and do the job sufficiently well that there's very little data worth protecting from an adversary who will go to the length of reassembling the drives.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I would really like to hear of any actual legal cases using data from a blended, securely erased SSD.

Never going to happen. Anyone with the means will have easier ways of getting at the data.

It's one of those "we know it can be done in a lab" things, not that anyone will* actually spend the time required to actually pull it off.

(* Except as a Stupid Academic Trick because they're bored and/or just to prove they can. Never underestimate how drunk and/or bored academics get.)

Shredding the hardware is sufficient against any reasonable adversary. Melting the hardware is overkill you would maybe want if you have a high-security facility.

I'm mostly just having fun with the concept of "100% unrecoverable". Nothing is actually 100% unrecoverable though recovering any usable data from a melted hard drive would take technology far beyond what we have now. If you're crazy enough you can read individual flash memory cells and piece together a SSD from shredded remains - some shredders even will leave entire flash chips intact.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
We've got discounts.

PNY CS900 120gb is as cheap as 14eur. I'm thinking of updating everything still booting off spinning rust.

Anyone got experiences with the specific model or PNY SSDs in general?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Atomizer posted:

I've got a few CS1311s (IIRC 2D MLC, DRAM,) still going strong, and one or two CS900s still running fine somewhere around here. I wouldn't hesitate on those CS900s (although I think they're DRAMless) as cheap, straight upgrades from HDDs. That pricing sounds similar to what they'd go for in the US (~$20 for that capacity) so unless there's something cheaper or slightly better for a little more money then those should be fine.

With our sales tax, $20 is €21. Still a third cheaper.

It's the CS900 120GB that's suspiciously cheap. The 240GB is €38 compared to a WD Green for €36 and I'd grab the WD Green over it any day.

The systems still booting off a hard drive aren't exactly performance monsters, so here's hoping the ones I grabbed are reliable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Its Chocolate posted:

Will cloning a hard drive to a SSD decrease the SSD's lifespan?

In a lot of conditions, yes, by around half.

However Win7 onward SHOULD already account for this. To be on the safe side, instead of cloning just format it as empty and copy over the data.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You need to align the sectors to the pages and cloning software not aware of the hardware limitations doesn't necessarily do that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Geemer posted:

Stop using Norton Ghost from 1999, then.

It was an actual real problem in 2010, man. That was basically yesterday.

And still is using lovely Linux scripts as opposed to real cloning software.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There is a 3DS thread.

Also, no. There's literally nothing left to do to get that thing back to "working". Probably some tricks if you really want to copy off the data, but it's not staying alive long.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

nielsm posted:

Secure erasing an SSD is extremely fast because it actually just needs to wipe some bookkeeping data about how the actual data is stored. This actually includes an encryption key, because encryption is a good way to make sure the bit patterns appear as random noise, and flash memory cells are work better (in some way) when storing "noise". Without that encryption key, recovering data from the flash memory is effectively impossible.

Except for some devices...

... didn't the list of devices include the 840?

Filling the device with effectively random data improves your chances of not getting owned a lot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DrDork posted:

If a nation-state is interested in your data, you probably just want to shred the drive and not resell it on eBay to begin with.

Ah, yes, what a good argument to make about drives like 840 and 850 that have massive publicly known encryption flaws.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fletcher posted:

I figured since Samsung Magician listed the 840 in the app and let me select it for secure erase then it was supported?

After the secure erase it showed up as an unformatted drive in Windows, so at least that part seemed like it made it work.

I wouldn't trust secure erase further than I can throw the drive with 840 and 850. Those things are security disasters.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Klyith posted:

The secure erase isn't affected by that though.

The encryption flaw is that the key is not adequately protected and, with sophisticated equipment, you can extract it from the controller and decrypt the contents. Secure erase deletes the key and generates a new one. No key to extract, no way to recover the old data.

And that's not even considering whether a drive blanks the NAND during the process as well.

Secure erase is more secure than formatting the drive and overwriting it with junk data, because you don't know if all old data got overwritten. SSDs have more internal memory than their listed capacity, so filling your 500GB drive with Cher mp3s leaves 12GB that hasn't been touched.

Which is why I do both, except with actual random data because gently caress, dd will run in the background without me doing poo poo.

I ain't trusting Samsung to implement poo poo sanely after their repeated failures to do that very thing.

Do not do it with dd unless you know what you're doing though, it can easily wreck flash memory if you're careless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's about right for a mediocre HDD.

I'd expect a good HDD to do like 90 minutes, so a suffering laptop HDD that's... normal-ish?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rinkles posted:

i don't have any reason to think it's in bad condition, barely a year old

... why do you have a HDD that new?

But no, I'd expect a good HDD with no bottlenecks anywhere to hit 300gb/hour.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Trash enclosure seems like the most likely cause, yes.

Farting along. My good setup gives me 800mbit/s or so, just as a FYI.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Unless it's dusty as hell or the heatsinks for the processor/motherboard are hosed up, then yes, it's likely it's just performing faster.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I really wouldn't expect higher than 100 megabytes a second off any laptop hard drive, ever.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rinkles posted:

Thanks.

Just FYI to others, if you connect to the internet the installer won't let you opt out of signing up for an MS account. Can't turn off wi-fi after the fact either either.

If Windows isn't giving me any messages about needing to register, I'm guessing it just figured that out on it's own after connecting to the internet (after installing)?

If you cut the connection by force and try to register a new account it fallbacks, IIRC.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's also just silicone washers for the screws for a partial solution.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PirateBob posted:

Why are drive manufacturers still getting away with the false marketing of selling e.g. [2 billion bytes or whatever] drives as "2TB", when the usable space is actually only 1.81TB?

Because it's tera-bytes and not binary terabytes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rexxed posted:

Well they're definitely not new but I wouldn't be afraid to use them unless you wanted a warranty. I've got a couple of old server SSDs that are still 99% or higher on wear lifetime and perform well. Datacenter SSDs are often posted on the ServeTheHome great deals forum and most are older but still have a ton of life left.

Look at the writes before you call if they're new.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rinkles posted:

Is there an easy, clean way of getting rid of Windows system files without resorting to formatting the drive? (obviously, this would be for secondary drives, not the OS drive)

No.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rinkles posted:

Sorry, not sure what you mean.

Writing in a different physical area could explain it. You're not controlling enough variables to give a good answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Thanks Ants posted:

You might be thinking about partition alignment, but I'm not aware of it preventing things working rather than just affecting performance.

Before you do anything you should clone the existing install so you have something to roll back to. Personally I'd just use Clonezilla to dump the HDD somewhere, restore it to an SSD, and see what happens. Put the HDD in if it doesn't work and keep trying.

Partition alignment can prevent things working if you're using something downright silly, like a SD card or a flash drive. It can still cause write amplification like this though.