Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just wanted to check before I impulse buy this, there's nothing wrong with this particular strain of M2 SSD, right?
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-860-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E1T0BW/dp/B07822Z77M/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just trying to get a 1TB SSD into my PC before the supposed price hike, and that one happened to be cheaper than the normal SATA drives for reasons I haven't figured out yet.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Klyith posted:

If you're just looking for a 1TB drive on any form factor the Crucial MX500 or WD Blue are even cheaper than the 860 Evo (and basically identical in all important respects). That way you don't need to dedicate a m.2 slot to a sata drive if you don't need to.

A while ago the prevailing wisdom was Samsung or bust, is that no longer true?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm trying to install an M.2 drive onto my motherboard but I can't seem to get enough clearance to get the screw in. This is about as far in as it goes using what seems like reasonable amounts of pressure.

Should I be expecting the gold contacts to be barely visible, or slide in much easier? I'm not sure how to apply more pressure without taking out the motherboard.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Shoving it in at an angle did the trick. The manual for my motherboard had a big DONT DO THIS YOU IDIOT which is why I avoided it.

I'm moving from a 512GB drive to a 1TB drive. WD has a drive cloning tool, but it keeps trying to assign the new capacity to one of the old recovery partitions instead of the C:\ drive, and won't let me expand C:\ if I try to manually massage the new capacities.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

macrium reflect will transfer partition space as-is by default (so if you want to expand the main partition, you can define "reserve" space for the remaining recovery partitions before adding them and completely fill up the partition space that way)

I don't think I understand. Using Acronis, this is the default allocation given to the drives (the original size of the second recovery partition is 524MB).

I can shrink down the second recovery partition but I just get this and no option to increase C:

By the way, what's the general process if I want to keep my original SSD around as a storage drive? Googling around there's a bunch of warnings about trying to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Klyith posted:

I'm not sure what the acronis procedure is, but with macrium reflect you drag each partition over one at a time, when you get to C: you resize it bigger (leaving enough space for the remaining partition), and then drag the last partition over.

Keeping your old SSD as a secondary drive is fine, but cleaning the old partitions off is a bit fiddly because normal windows drive manager will refuse to delete the system partitions. You can use diskpart, or various hdd erasing tools.

Didn't realize there was a free version of Macrium, that method seems to have worked.

Is there anything I need to watch out for while getting ready to format the old drive? Windows won't freak out if it sees two C: drives connected?