Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What's actually the bottleneck on startup now? Why does it take 8 seconds instead of 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you sure your colleagues didn't swap your SATA cables over as a hilarious prank?

I basically had the same thing happen recently, all kinds of crazy problems that went away when I threw out the SATA cable.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

So here's something new: I was playing Battlefield 1 on my PC, and all of a sudden the whole computer completely freezes and I had to force a shutdown by holding the power button.
When I restarted, my main SSD (Crucial MX500 in the m2 slot) was not recognized anymore, and since this is where Windows is installed (aswell as my current ~gamez~) I was unable to boot up.
However, after waiting for 30 minutes, everything was okay again.
Anybody knows what could have happened here? SSD just overheating? Or did I buy a lemon and should find a replacement ASAP?

Might want to try a different SATA cable before you return the drive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Saukkis posted:

What games do such a significant amount of writing to affect QLC cache? I would think most games get installed and after that they are read only, except for config changes and save states.

I think by definition a cache is going to have some writing because it's going to be moving stuff in/out depending on what needs to be cached at any given time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is it a bad idea to create a second partition on my system disk to use as a cache (for PrimoCache)? I have a second SSD sitting around but it's much smaller.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DrDork posted:

PrimoCache is intended to cache disk activity that otherwise would go to a HDD--if you have a HDD in your system for whatever reason that you frequently access, then yes, it would help speed up those accesses the same way simply having the data installed on your system SSD would, though obviously only up to the amount of space that you dedicated to the cache.

That's how I'm going to be using it, I'm caching a 5TB drive, I just need to know whether it's going to be too detrimental to performance to have the cache partition and the system partition on the same physical drive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Can someone explain to me the difference between caching and tiered storage? Because it seems like the same idea to me: Frequently-used files get moved/copied to the SSD from the hard drive. What's the difference in practice?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is it a stupid idea to sell my Samsung 860 EVO sata drive to buy an equivalent capacity Inland Premium NMVE drive? There's not that much price difference and the Inland drive has like 6-7x the r/w speed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is there anything I need to watch out for while getting ready to format the old drive? Windows won't freak out if it sees two C: drives connected?

Windows defines which drive is C: so it would just assign a different letter to the non-boot drive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

At present time, if we're talking about general home use (browsing, streaming, gaming, guess occasional file transfers), is there going to be a big difference between a sata ssd and an nvme ssd?

Nothing you would notice in almost all cases.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought I remembered hearing they'd done something less-than-ideal to the Inland Premium drive.

I'm using a Premium NVME and haven't had any issues.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think SSDs are probably safe for the time being. The process of creating a mining 'plot' generates a massive amount of writes so they recommend using old enterprise drives.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The only and only time I had problems with an SSD drive it ended up being the SATA cable instead of the drive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

kliras posted:

yeah that slot is basically dead to me. hell if i'm going to wrestle my d15 every time i want to manage something there

by the way, are motherboard screws for nvme's standardized? i remember when you still needed the screws that came with the motherboard, and while i did keep mine, i couldn't fit any of my screwdrivers in it, and the drat plastic crap got stripped like crazy, so now my drive is just sort of inserted so i can get it out again

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7NV2B7

I bought this when I needed to change out a m2 drive and instead of being an exercise in frustration it only took a few minutes. It took longer to unplug everything and unseat my video card than it did to switch the NVME drive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SATA versus NMVE doesn't matter all that much for games. There's a difference but usually not much more than 1 second of load time. Maybe this will change in the future if they ever get DirectStorage figured out.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Also they don’t have moving parts. If there’s no visible damage to the SSD it’s probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB SSDs on sale for $119 at Micro Center..

wonder why they're undercutting their own Inland brand which is $139 for the Inland Performance Plus 2 TB at the moment..

Now it's $149 in less than a month and Samsung 2TB drives have gone up about the same amount.