Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

So, I had a spare NVMe 1TB drive kicking around because I'm a dummy. I bought a second drive because I remembered my laptop having two slots, but it turns out that was the laptop I bought before this one that I had to return. I got an enclosure for it, and I was just wondering- how much performance am I losing by having it as an external connected via thunderbolt 3 cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

If you actually got a Thunderbolt enclosure then there should be negligible difference, but maybe you got a more common USB 3.1 enclosure instead? That would limit you to <1 GB/s which would hypothetically be a bottleneck, however this is all moot because in real world use you're not going to notice a difference in performance.

Good to know, since my mom broke my thunderbolt port when she moved my laptop. Now Iím stuck on regular USB. The joys of visiting family for the holidays!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Some of the cheaper Thunderbolt and USB stuff still is a SATA bridge so they're limited to 600mbs

Iím getting 420 MB/s with it according to a benchmark I just ran. The NVMe inside my computer is a full GB a second faster, though I doubt that extra speed will really end up making a difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Iím looking for a good 2TB NVMe drive and a good 2TB 2 inch drive. Preferably less than 3 hundo each. Any suggestions?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

Assuming the latter means "2 TB 2.5" SSD" (because this is clearly not the boot drive and you might very well be interested in a 2 TB FireCuda for $60 just for games) how about an 860 QVO for $160?

Whoops, yep, meant 2.5 inch. Thanks for the suggestions everybody, probably gonna go with that NVMe mentioned upthread and this SATA one. Gonna have 5TB in my desktop and I have a pair of 1TB NVMe drives in enclosures as well. I have to stop buying computer parts when Iím bored working night shifts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Sold out already.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Stickman posted:

Also SATA M.2 -> 2.5Ē SATA enclosures are only $10 if you choose M.2 and want the slot for something else later.

Iíve gotten really good speeds off of the external enclosures I have for NVMe drives. They make for great externals, theyíre teeny so they take up no space in a laptop bag.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Just benchmarked my NVMe over a 3.1 Thunderbolt cable, the results were weird:

Are those low write speeds normal performance for an external or is my enclosure just a cheap piece of poo poo?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Not quite SSD, but close enough. I just pulled the HDD data drive that came with my computer and I was gonna give it to my mom to use as an external so she can back up her files- whatís a good enclosure that fits the full size 3.5 drives but also is relatively cheap? The last enclosure I bought for my SSDs were garbage so I donít want to risk that again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

No luck with the power cycling. Thing's a paper weight now. Just have to reinstall some games, nothing major. The only suckass thing about this whole mess, well on top of losing a ssd, is that Windows still thinks I have the drive and won't let me uninstall the programs. So if I try to reinstall some things I just get told Windows can't find the install directory and to choose another (which I never get a choice).

Any way to change that? I figured it'd be registry stuff but I deleted a few for the programs that were on the drive but that doesn't seem to fix my problem.

The Add/Remove programs tool hasnít been any help? Iíve found that works on stuff like that after a drive failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

If a nation-state is interested in your data, you probably just want to shred the drive and not resell it on eBay to begin with.

Plus going ham on a drive with power tools and firearms is a lot of fun. I usually wrap it up by putting them in an old microwave in a parking lot.

China already has all my info (yaaay OPM hack) but I still make sure my drives are thoroughly dead when I dispose of them.

E:Is bitlocker worth a drat for data encryption? I used to use it on a work laptop but I donít have a lot of experience with it.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 3, 2020