Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

PCIe means it's NVMe yes

It may or may not also support SATA, what board/laptop is it?

Old Alienware. https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000178429/alienware-x51-r3-system-specifications

CoolCab posted:

nvme/pcie is faster so if you have the choice go that way

Question of price. Not in a rush to get a new drive, was just considering the SATA SSDs on sale on Newegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was gonna say that the coupon didn't apply to the NVMe version, but turns out it does. So yeah, no point in getting the SATA version.

Does newegg have an okay return policy?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/326384-western-digital-pledges-transparency-will-replace-qlc-sn550-for-unhappy-buyers

WD is offering to swap QLC SN550s for the original TLC version on request, so at least those who bought it before hearing about the downgrade can switch it out

I guess this doesn't apply retroactively for new buyers, right?

Cause with this promo code BTEEBSE22, this drive is $85 for 1TB on newegg.

it is the same drive, right?

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-sn550-nvme-1tb/p/N82E16820250135?Item=N82E16820250135

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 21, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought longevity was also more of an issue with qlc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably gonna get laughed at for this, but the M.2 screw is necessary right? Beause I didn't get one with the PC (cause it came with an HDD), and I'm pretty sure they don't come with new drives.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No screw, but if I'm not mistaken the standoff is there.

(that muck isn't dust, it won't budge)

The slot is on a riser on top of the gpu.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woops turns out I'm not eligible for the discount. Thanks for the help anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They only did a performance analysis for the new Ratchet, but Digital Foundry didn't find much difference between an SN750 SE (3600MB/s read speed) and an SN850 (7000MB/s) in gameplay, and load time differences were marginal (transfer speeds were the only area the cheap drive was significantly behind).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQs4UpiKlg

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Best Buy has this drive [Ultra 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 ] on sale for $90, which is apparently the SN550 with SanDisk's branding. The original price of $229 seems a bit suspicious, though.

These drives are DRAMless, but from what I gather that's less of an issue for NVMe drives than SATA ones? Would you recommend a DRAMless NVMe drive over SATA with DRAM?

e:I doubt I'm gonna bother switching, but which would make a better OS drive, this or a WD Blue 3D NAND (my current C drive)? Or is the difference too marginal to ever matter?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 22, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2TB SN550 for $170 at WD's store, w/ code 25OFF

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS200T2B0C

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

For the SN550 it's easy, use CrystalDiskInfo to check the firmware version

The original version begins with 21 and the nerfed version begins with 23

Well if this is correct, the drive from my last post was an original.

Btw, if there was a click when I was installing it into the socket, I missed it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

There isn't a click to most m.2 sockets. The contacts are springy, the action of kinda folding the drive down makes a firm electrical connection. That's why they need screws.

Thought that might be the case. I mentioned it because the guide I followed said there'd be a click.

Is there a good reason why it's designed around a screw holding it in place, unlike most other sockets nowadays?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 6, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any tests I can do to compare my new NVMe with my SATA SSD? Mostly just for fun.

Though if I'm not mistaken, it'll be limited to two pcie lanes (limitation of the motherboard).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So is Sony being overly cautious with its heatsink requirements for PS5 drives? Or the console too hot in general or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is it expected for the NVMe drive to run hotter at idle?

SATA SSD is at 42 degrees C, the new NVMe 52. (and the HDD 35)

Or is it possibly the fault of the case? The two drives are in different places. The NVMe is on a riser.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It hit 60C today, despite not being used. This was when playing a game, so I think it's the GPU, which is right next to it, heating it up. It's a compact case with little airflow.

that blue/teal bit in the middle is where the m.2 slot is

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 8, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been planning to build a new pc anyway. This might motivate me to do it sooner rather than later.

Just a little worried about buying components piecemeal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

idk if this is due to the anticipated memory supply glut, but SSD prices seem to be really starting to drop. ~$180 2TB nvmes show up every other day.

Here's a 2100/1700 MB/s read/write Kingston for $145 (when in cart)

https://www.adorama.com/kgsnvs2000g.html

no dram

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could someone try to explain in laymen's terms what's going on here?

A PCIe gen 3 drive (SN570) beating an expensive gen 4 (SN850) in load times specifically

TweakTown review of the SN570

These days, the most common approach is using QLC flash arrays to keep build costs low. QLC flash, while cheaper per bit, comes with inherently lower endurance, requires more power to program, slow programming speeds when outside the cache, and typically offers lower overall performance than TLC flash.

The other somewhat less common approach to reducing production costs is what we have here today in the Western Digital WD Blue SN570 DRAMless SSD. Going without onboard DRAM reduces costs considerably, as does the fact that the drive only has only one flash package and a power-sipping 4-channel HMB (Host Memory Buffer) enabled controller. Eliminating the cost of onboard DRAM offsets, TLC flash creates arguably a better overall value for the customer.

As we alluded to earlier, the newly minted WD Blue SN570 is special in that it gives our first look at BiCS 5 flash. WD is tight-lipped and doesn't even mention the SN570 is arrayed with 112-layer BiCS 5. Well, we know it is because our gaming test results say it is. How else could this DRAMless value drive load game levels faster than the legendary WD Black SN850 Gen4 performance juggernaut? It has to be better flash; that's the only way it can happen.

We will tell you right now that the WD Blue SN570 1TB is the first DRAMless SSD we've tested that we can call a legit gaming SSD. And it's not just good at gaming; it's outstanding at gaming. Amazing really.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 20, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol why do they bother making the sub 500gb model?

I guess the margins are much better, but who buys them? OEMs?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Interesting that because NVMes are optimized around operating at a specific temperature, heatsinks might be counter productive sometimes. Cooling the controller makes sense, but not the flash memory in a lot of cases. Though I'm not sure how much difference this would make in the lifetime of the SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH1EmzqK5Ek&t=132s
[answer to the second part of the first question, starts around 2:10]

Idk if any of this changed with gen 4 drives.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

While it's not required, most E1.S drives utilize a full drive enclosure and heatsink (in some cases a massive heatsink)

Malventano said that enterprise drives are made to different specs. Active temperature is much higher, power off temperature is a bit higher, and their endurance rating is calculated out differently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Lots of good deals right now. There's the 1TB Intel 670p for $85, for one. NVMe storage is, along with DDR4, rapidly dropping in price right now. Every couple weeks there's a new omg amazing best deal. It's nice, though high-capacity SSDs aren't dropping in price as much as I'd like, which is a bummer. I want someone to give me an excuse to throw out all of my SATA drives.

There's a new WD approaching $100 per TB @ 4TB. The first red nvme, $470.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SN700-Internal-Devices/dp/B09H1M6ZRT

But that's not a sale price, and I see it went out of stock overnight. It's available on WD's site, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I don't need a new drive atm (got the 2TB SN550 recently), a gen 4 upgrade probably isn't gonna be worth it for the OS speeds (or future directstorage stuff), right?

I guess the other question is whether these prices will last. Of course, it's BF now, but I saw articles predicting prices falling a while ago because of oversupply (resulting from an undersupply in the early COVID days).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No great deals on 4TB NVMe drives, though the SanDisk Ultra is $300. I wanted to go SATA-less, but I guess I'm getting this because NVMe drives aren't price-competitive at this level of capacity yet. It's finally time to say goodbye to the last of the spinning rust in my system.

Another one, SATA 4TB WD Blue for $290 at Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blue-4tb-sata-2-5-internal-solid-state-drive/6385535.p?skuId=6385535

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I have horrendous boot times on my new pc. OS is on a new 2TB SN550. Fresh install, not a clone. On my previous pc, with a 1TB WD Blue SATA, I'd see the login screen within seconds (the loading animation would rarely play). My current boot time is over a minute (I timed it).

I disconnected all my USB and SATA devices, but that hardly made a difference. I turned on "ultra fast" boot in the BIOS. And that cut 15-20 seconds, but that's still way slower than my previous SATA drive.

Any ideas what's up?

e:timed my laptop's boot time, which has the same Blue SATA SSD but half the capacity. Windows login screen showed up in 11 seconds.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 1, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

Where does the extra time seem to be happening? Is the little circle animation playing the whole time?

Since this is a new install I'd look at stuff like whether you have missing drivers for some hardware. Install your chipset drivers, that type of thing. Also make sure your BIOS is set to UEFI only for booting.

All my drivers should be up to date because I've been trying to solve another issue with the motherboard (Intel wifi/BT module doesn't work).

The little circle animation is where the extra load time is. On my laptop, the boot is fast enough that it doesn't even appear. I think the initial black screen period is a bit longer too, but it's only like 5 seconds (which adds up, but is minimal compared to the windows boot).

I have the CSM (compatibility support module) support disabled, which according to the manual means only the "UEFI BIOS boot process" is supported.

I'm getting a replacement motherboard because of the wifi issue. Do you think I should do anything differently this time round? Should I format the drive and do a clean windows install?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

In disk management, is your "EFI System Partition" also on the SN550 drive? If so, you should be good to move it over to a new mobo and hopefully that'll fix both problems.

If not, that means windows got confused during install and is booting across drives. (This used to happen all the time and was the reason for the "pull all drives other than your intended system drive during install" advice.) You'll want to fix that either by clean install or repair.

Yup. I made sure not to have any other drives connected when installing Windows because I heard that can cause issues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just an update, uninstalling the wifi module and its drivers, resulted in a pretty quick boot. However, Windows automatically reinstalls it (which I know you can prevent with a group policy), so after that all boots are back to being a minute long. I restarted a few times to confirm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yes, and disabling instead of uninstalling it gets around windows reactivating it. But the replacement should be here soon anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't see that option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

Crucial MX500 is currently $85 at most outlets. Good drive, and more expensive things aren't really beneficial on SATA.

It was a Crucial NVMe that got a stealth downgrade, right, not this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

That was the P2, which turned into QLC. The MX500 is still, and always has been, TLC. I've got uh... like 6 of em now i think? lol. They are Good.

I'm more afraid of retroactively removing DRAM. Pretty sure one of the big manufacturers did that with a SATA model. Maybe it was ADATA?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What would affect boot times most?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Motherboard swap fixed the boot times. They're what I'd expect now. And wifi works fine.

But for whatever reason, if I connect any other drives, Windows fails to boot. Only the SATA drives show up in the BIOS boot options.

Boots normally if it's the only drive connected, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

An M.2 SATA drive (M+B key) should work in most NVMe slots, correct? (just at SATA speeds)

I'd be getting a M.2 SATA drive for my mother's laptop, but was wondering whether it could eventually be reused in a more modern pc with nvme slots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I checked my motherboard. Looks like the third M.2 slot can take SATAs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cheapest per gigabyte SSD in a while? Can't vouch for the quality

LEVEN SSD 2TB 1.92TB 3D NAND TLC SATA III - $130

They also offer an external 2TB SSD for $160

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Would you buy a 2TB MX500 or a 2TB Kingston NV1 M.2? The MX500 is ~$150 at Gamestop atm, and the Kingston has dipped that low a few times in the last month. Decent SATA w/ DRAM versus low end NVMe?

https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-accessories/memory/pc/products/crucial-mx500-2.5-in-internal-ssd-2tb/310460.html

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-2280-Internal-SNVS-2000G/dp/B091BG4HDW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

In every other respect an NVMe drive is generally superior to a SATA one, even a bottom-shelf one like that NV1.

That's what I was wondering, thanks. But like you said, you gotta think twice with NVMes because M.2 slots are at a premium, and you can use a SATA in almost anything, even old consoles.