Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Some motherboards now come with a secure erase tool in the BIOS. If your motherboard does, you could always try using that on the drive to wipe it completely and see if it can be brought back at all. :shrug:
Edit: to be on the safe side, I would disconnect all other drives before doing this (just so you don't get the wrong one erased somehow) and it might not work over USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

No high-power magnets to harvest and play with or use on the fridge? Clearly inferior technology.

You can access ATA secure erase in linux (including off a live usb stick) on any mobo, the instructions are mildly convoluted but not difficult.

Though for a dead SSD I'd rather just hit it with a hammer for a bit than try to make secure erase work on a drive that can't even report its smart attributes. Much more satisfying.

Of course I neither work for, nor am a person of interest to, the CIA.

I meant the secure erase could be tested to see if it will make the drive work again, not for deleting the data (though it should do that, too). It's a long shot, though

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
When I was buying a 2 TB M.2 SSD, the Kingston KC2500 was only about $10-ish more than the WD SN550 and seemingly comes with DDR3L DRAM cache on board, so that might be an option for 2TB buyers. The 1 TB version seemed less competitive with the price of the 1 TB SN550, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

So even a gen3 drive would probably be useful for knowledgeable users (put the 1st party sony games on internal, everything else external) -- if someone had a used drive that was just kicking around.
That might have worked if Sony allowed for gen3 drives which they seemingly don't, judging by testing that Linus Tech Tips did.