Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Cross-posting from the Windows 10 thread:
Is there a recommended procedure for migrating Windows to a new SSD from an older HD? I've got a 2 TB WD hard drive, and just bought a 525 GB Crucial MX 300. My current partition has about 1TB of crap on it, so I don't think I can just mirror it over. Do I create a recovery drive & then reinstall from that? Do I use the recovery drive to do a clean install (and cry when I try and find my MS Office CD keys and have to reinstall all my other poo poo?)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In regards to product keys, you don't need to go paper-spelunking, just use this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/produkey.html

As for cloning, uninstall things (namely games, after backing up the save files, if applicable), try to get down to ~450GB, then follow this link (it seems Crucial has a deal with Acronis that uses your drive's serial number/info as a registration): http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Using-Acronis-True-Image-HD-2015/ta-p/171023

Thanks. I'm sad that I actually need to trim all this poo poo down to a reasonable amount of space. But I guess that will help because when I reinstall I can try to use that Steam file manager thing to store games on different drives.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Goddamnit. Am I completely hosed, or can I fix this? I bought the Crucial MX300. Apparently I bought the laptop version. I have a desktop, with full cages for regular sized desktop hard drives. So the tiny SSD doesn't snap in to my removable hard drive trays. Can I just plug the SSD into my SATA system and have it work while I order some plastic spacer bullshit that will fill the empty space? Or do I need to get a whole new drive?

Quickedit: For reference, I bought this drive. I figured since it was SATA I was okay. But I'm Bad At Computers (TM).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Phew! Now I just need to find a spare SATA cable from back when I built this thing, and figure out how to rewire the power cables coming out of my PSU. Thanks for holding my hand, all.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Aaaand now when I look for the drive in "This PC" it doesn't show up. But it does show up in Device Manager. I'll try downloading & setting up the linked software and hoping that it's a formatting/drivers thing. Grumble grumble.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

You need to format it and create a partition.

Right click the start icon, go to computer management. In the left menu you'll see "storage management". You should see your new drive there (should be the 'lowest' letter or look at capacity). From there you'll need to create a partition and then Windows will see your drive.

Alternatively you can use software like Minitool Parition Wizard or the various dozens of software to do this for you.

Thanks. As for the advice farther upthread, it doesn't look like the Acronis deal is valid for the MX300's? Or at least none of the serial numbers on my drive work as activation codes. I'll try Macromix or one of the other mentioned cloning tools. There's a serial code if you actually look at all the pieces of paper in the box. I'm really batting zero for a bunch tonight...

EDIT THE NEXT:
So I finished cloning my old drive, rebooted, hit backspace to get into my BIOS, selected the SSD as my boot drive, and then when it booted into windows, my computer is flipping out. Instead of the normal login screen (whatever silly picture Windows 10 gives you, then you hit enter & can type your password), I got a blue screen with the time on it, which flickered to black every few seconds (2 seconds of blue screen with time displayed, followed by a second of black). The mouse cursor was visible, with the spinning blue "waiting" circle intermittently on and off. After 45s of that, the screen has settled to full black with only the mouse cursor displayed, and I can't get past that to a proper login screen.

It's done that both times I've rebooted and tried to boot off the SSD. I am currently trying to boot off the old HDD. Any thoughts or advice?

YET ANOTHER EDIT:
So I've cloned the drive again, and this time after it shut off I just disconnected the old HDD and booted the computer. Everything booted properly and things seem to be working so far. I assume at this point I simply turn the computer off, connect the HDD, boot normally, and then wipe/format the old HDD, and I should be good to go?

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey all, I can take this to the tech support subforum if it's more appropriate, but I am having a problem with cloning my drive & migrating to an SSD and you were tremendously helpful this weekend as I tried to do that. Now that I've switched to an SSD (Crucial MX300, 525 GB), I am getting intermittent freezes & crashes. Typically what will happen is one of my tabs will decide it doesn't want to load or refresh properly, and it'll hang, as will all my other tabs (spinning circle, "Waiting for Cache", the Google Play Music stream will stop, etc). Likewise, other apps will also lose connectivity (I'm trying to reinstall League because every time I boot League after switching to the SSD it also crashes rather than playing the game).

I have a vague suspicion this is because Acronis didn't properly copy over the right permisisons settings when I cloned the drive? I told Acronis to simply "Clone Disk," which I hear should have worked. The main reason I suspect permissions is that when I opened Event Viewer and looked at the last errors before the crash, it's Event 10016. Some quick googling told me that I needed to Regedit full permissions for the linked CLID and APPID entries in the registry, and allow full control to the relevant Com+ entries in Computer Services. So I did that, but a few minutes ago I got another similar crash and I am not sure what to troubleshoot next. Any advice?