Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The online shop I'm looking at has two different SM951 drives listed, with significantly different prices. Any guess as to what the difference between the two might be, other than a store mixup? I thought the cheaper one might be a SATA model, but the product code does belong to a NVMe model.

SSD 512GB Samsung M.2 Type2280 SM951 NVMe PCIe 3x4 bulk [MZVPV512HDGL-00000] - 135% of the price of the 500GB 850EVO

SSD 512GB Samsung SM951-NVMe PCIe M.2 Typ 2280-D3-M (NGFF), bulk - 175% of the price of the 500GB 850EVO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Longevity is a non-trivial issue, flash cells for an SD card are not designed to be rewritten anywhere near as many times as those for an SSD. Combine this with the fact that these cards are designed for RAID 0 only, and suddenly any of the 10 SD cards failing means the whole array becomes useless.

No thank you, even if I did somehow have 10 "spare" 64 GB µSD cards laying around.

Also an equivalently-sized SSD will cost significantly less. Make it m.2, and it will be smaller as well.

i really can't think of a use-case for this, other than "I ended up with a ton of SD cards lying around and can't be arsed to eBay them".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Anandtech has just done a SSD roundup and they list the Mushkin Reactor as one of the better consumer options. Should it be added to the OP?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Samsung and Intel are hardly 'little guys'.

Fun fact: Samsung has a slightly higher GDP than Hungary.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Right, for SSDs

I thought manufacturers had been already accounting for that for a while?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Multiplayer non-massive games are fine on HDDs. Loading the map in 2 seconds instead of 20 serves no purpose since the match won't start until everybody is ready anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

There is no reason not to run any application or game on an SSD if you have the space. Waiting 20 seconds when it could load in 2 isn't really sane.

"Faster drives are better than slower drives", thank you for this brilliant post.

Modern apps and games think nothing of asking for dozens of gigabytes, so 'not having the space' on a SSD is entirely possible. Which apps and games get priority for the SSD then becomes a good question (answer: usually apps).

isndl posted:

What, never played a game where classes/weapons are capped and first come first serve?

Yeah, I hate that. I don't exactly enjoy arguing with a bunch of internet strangers about who gets to play the boring support class. One-shot Prisoner's Dilemma isn't a good game.

I do play Overwatch, but like the other dude, I also prefer Mystery Heroes for that reason.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 7, 2018