Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Is there any good way to consolidate a 2TB primary OS drive into a 500GB SSD? I'm already banking on a fresh Windows install but just wondering if there might be a good method to transfer over programs from what is going to become the secondary drive. I'd imagine that copy and pasting the folder from one Program Files into another is going to cause all sorts of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Cygni posted:

There are some partition tools that can do it, and I did it myself a while back, but generally gotta agree with Malcom and say just fresh install it.

Once youve got your OS on the SSD, you can look over at the old drives program files and such and see what you actually want to reinstall, and copy pover any media you want on the SSD. You can also set Steam to look a the old drive's Steam folder, so you don't have to redownload anything (assuming u game bro)

I already figured my games library would be good because Steam has all those options for multi-drive installations. Since I'm an old fart metaphorically speaking when it comes to this kind of stuff, I went and saved a Belarc Advisor report with all my installed programs and serials so I can check them off by hand as I install them fresh.

Plus, I guess that's the best way to divy up which programs are gonna go to the SSD and which can just be installed right back to the mechanical.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

WD is doing a promo, free Black HDD with Black NVMe SSD. Decided to take them up on that one and then I realized that my existing M.2 SSD is SATA-based, and only the PCI-e Gen3 slot on my motherboard supports SATA-based drives. The other slot is Gen2, so I guess I'm just gonna have to run it slower and then get an enclosure or something for the SATA based one? idk lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

Get a PCIE adapter and plug it into a regular slot?

Yesssss this is exactly the thing I was thinking of when I said "enclosure." A PCI-e add-on card is perfect.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I'm so far behind on storage technology, it's crazy. That WD Black M.2 I ordered came in and even running at PCI-E Gen2 speeds, it's roughly three times faster on the read/write speeds than the SATA M.2 I'm running Windows from now. And even the SATA SSD is totally mindblowing to me, I have absolutely no idea what I would even do with speeds that are faster