Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Work is letting me buy a 500 GB SSD for my laptop, so just plain old SATA. It looks like both the 850 EVO and X400 are roughly the same price over here. So with price being equal, should I order the 850 EVO or the X400? It's a laptop/workstation running Linux if that matters for either one of those (maybe one controller plays nicer with Linux or whatever). The laptop already has a 250ish GB SSD so it's not like I'm upgrading from a spinning drive. I plan on keeping the old SSD inside and using it as a drive to to store automatic snapshots to I think.

e: I wanted to do full disc encryption too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

canyoneer posted:

I ordered two, and I'm happy to report that they shipped this morning.

Shoulda ordered 10 to put in RAID whatever mode for the Reddit cred.

Seriously tho that's insane if you actually get them (as in they don't realize their mistake and revoking the shipping label before it actually gets shipped).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My Windows 10 PC just did a thing where it rebooted after booting on and then told me something like "we need to restore from a recovery drive ..." I rebooted the computer a few times and eventually it started up so here I am. I thought it might be a SSD issue but Samsung Magician says the drive health status is good. Is there a way I can put the SSD through more rigorous testing to make sure it's not gonna fail on me? I'm not worried about the data on it, just want to figure out what went wrong so I can fix it before it becomes a problem.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I posted in the laptop thread but I figured I'd post this SSD related question in this thread too.

I want to install a second SSD into my laptop (ThinkPad W541). This laptop didn't ship with a CD/DVD drive, so the space where that would be is just empty, and I know lots of people buy optical bay caddies to do this but I was wondering if I could just skip that altogether and just use some cables and Velcro to secure the SSD in place.

This is what the back end of a caddy that is advertised to fit my laptop looks like:

It looks like the left bit has 6 pins and the right bit has 7 pins. On my SSD (EVO 850) I count 7 + 15 pins. Looking at Wikipedia the 7 pin bits should be the data connector and the 6/15 bit part is for power. Would one of these Slimline 22 pin female to 13 pin male cables work then? I just don't see a point in buying a caddy if it's only function is to hold the SSD in place.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 16, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

You could velcro it in there, but those caddies are like $5 I'd just buy one.

Buy why not just buy an M.2 SSD in the 2242 (42mm) size?

This laptop has one M.2 slot but it's used by the wifi card.

Caddys are $35+ from what I'm seeing and also I could probably pick up the cables at a local store today instead of waiting for shipping.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

ahahaha holy poo poo this is so much faster. windows booted up in like, 8 seconds.

I remember my first SSD :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What’s the deal with the 860 Evo? I’m seeing something like a 1TB 860 Evo costing the same thing I paid for a 500GB 850 Evo just last year. That seems like a huge price decrease.

E: This page seems to suggest it’s just a sale?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 1, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have a couple of ancient SATA SSDs that I need to get rid of. I’m unable to connect them up into a computer and write random data onto them and I know that at least 1 of them is unencrypted and was in an old PC.

What can/should I physically do to these SSDs before tossing them into the electronics waste bin? I’m not looking to protect myself from a state level actor but from Joe the electronic waste sorter who might decide to pull my SSD out from the conveyer belt and take it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Get something like this or one of its cheaper USB 3.0 brethren so you can connect the SSDs to any computer that has a USB port. You should be able to perform an ATA Secure Erase through any sufficiently modern USB-SATA adapter. I know how to do it in Linux, not exactly sure what you'd need to get it done on Windows.

As Fame Douglas says, writing random data isn't the preferred way, although I'm sure that if you write enough multiples of the raw capacity of the drive (say, 10x or more), it's a reasonably good bet that everything gets erased and rewritten at least once.

To physically destroy data, disassemble the drive, remove the PCB, and use a drill to put a hole through each flash IC. Or make sure they're all crushed by hammering at them.

But seriously just get one of those adapters, they're cheap and very handy to have lying around. If you think you'll ever need to use it for a 3.5" SATA HDD, look around for the slightly more expensive versions which include a little PSU. (USB ports generally can't provide enough power to run a 3.5"). Or get a USB drive dock, same electronics packaged in a bigger housing.

:lol: SATA to USB to USB-C. The future is here. So is this basically a portable hard drive enclosure without the “enclosure” part? I might be able to borrow one real quick just to get this done.

My bad on the “writing random data” part, didn’t know that doing the secure erase was something different.

E: Smashing the thing with a hammer does sound more fun though.